Old cell phones

"I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    The Motorola C115 was the first phone I've ever owned. One of my aunts gave it to me as an advance birthday gift on 2005. It had the ability to create your own ringtones, and a game called "Chess" which had no resemblance to the actual game of chess as we know it. I would lose it on the bus two years later.

A year later, the Nokia 3220 arrived. It was my first phone with a color screen, camera, and Java. I would photograph and film things just because I could, only to later delete the files as the internal memory was just 5 MB and I didn't have a sync cable. Furthermore, the SIM lock could be easily removed, and there was a exploit to get free GPRS with my carrier by changing the APN. Phone + free Internet + the then-new Opera Mini 1.0 = lots of fun However, I was eventually robbed by two thugs on my way to English school, and that was the end of it.

The following year, my parents would buy me a Nokia 1112 (not pictured), which was a bigger brother of the 1100 that traded the flashlight for a white screen backlight and a crisper display (plus a talking clock ). Not anywhere close to the 3220, obviously, but very solid for calls and messages, and the battery charge lasted over a week. I still have this one, and it works great.

During early 2008, a used Nokia 6101 (not pictured) was given to me by a friend of my mom's, partly because it was totaled: the volume control and charger connector were broken, the no. 9 button took a lot of force to push, and in occasion the phone would randomly stop working and display "Insert SIM card". Nonetheless, since it was so much better (and used the same battery type, which meant being able to recharge it using the older phone), I decided to use it anyway.

And so I did until mid-2008, when my father gave me a Motorola V3 RAZR after hearing me complain about the aforementioned defects too many times (even if the phone remained too good not to use). Functionality-wise, it was like the 6101, but sturdier, with a bigger screen, and Bluetooth. The firmware was customizable, and I had lots of fun flashing different ones found on the net, eventually grabbing a stock one and modding it myself. I sold it online last year to someone in the Greater Buenos Aires area. As for the 6101, I still have it (like anyone would buy that wrecked piece of shit).

On 2009, I received the hiPhone (not pictured), a Chinese replica of Apple's iPhone, once again as an advance birthday gift. It had everything - camera, Java, Internet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, even over-the-air TV! Needless to say, I was astonished. I remember that by standing immediately next to a certain pillar of my school, I could get a hold of an open wireless network with minimal signal, which meant free Internet once more! I used it until 2013, which was when I decided to stop using mobile phones altogether, and sold it last year as well, to a British chick who was almost desperate to get a cheap one to use WhatsApp on.

I never had the Alcatel or Siemens ones, but various classmates did. The OT-331 had a very addictive sidescrolling game, and its super tough build made it survive falls with ease. The Siemens and Sony Ericsson were less popular, but are remembered for their versions of Sokoban and Arkanoid, respectively.

(Oh, there's this Blackberry Curve 8520 which a friend of a friend tried to nail to me, so that I would join their chat groups and shit. I never did, only using it once to do a factory reset and flash the latest firmware. It's almost new, on its original boxing with accessories and all; I attempted to sell it, but there weren't any buyers.)
    Thanks

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1750
    i still have the second one from the picture ,good old day, charging once per week
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    Back in the day I only had Nokia phones! Damn good phones. Too bad they went to shit when android came out!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSaibot v.1.3.10 View Post
    i still have the second one from the picture ,good old day, charging once per week
    I recently saw a Motorola phone advertised as having a "24-hour battery", and thought "bitch, my Nokia had a 240-hour battery".

Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    Back in the day I only had Nokia phones! Damn good phones. Too bad they went to shit when android came out!
    Yes, Nokia was king until then. Android's massification was a game-changer and they failed to adapt quickly enough.
    Thanks

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1750
    I recently saw a Motorola phone advertised as having a "24-hour battery", and thought "bitch, my Nokia had a 240-hour battery".
    a recent motorola phone ? when it this was the case..i think it was the most accurate no bs,advertise,since usually they promise more and the phones do less..my record..was...the current phone...until i changed the battery, the old battery one was full now,empty after 5 min :))
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    Nokia had there own OS, right? It was Symbian if I recall?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    VEM-P
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss714
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cm-dx1000.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	17260

Was my first mobile phone...looooong time ago

This account has been disabled
    Reason: Fake upload

Do NOT cheat. This involves; ghost leeching, spoofing and/or use of a modified client in anyway. If you, or anyone on your IP/server is found to be cheating then ALL users on that IP will be disabled.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

anon (17.12.16)

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss2059
    Yes, that's correct. I even used Whatsapp for symbian on my old Nokia C3. But it would drain the battery faster, because it was like the app was always on (never on background).
    Last edited by alpacino; 16.12.16 at 23:06.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    a recent motorola phone ?
    Yes, this was just a few weeks ago. I just entered their site to see if I could find it, and instead stumbled upon a much better offer: "up to 45 hours"! And they say mankind doesn't progress

Indeed. When I got on an app downloading frenzy for my Nokia 3220 I stumbled upon many .sis applications, which unlike .jar ones, required the Symbian OS that was only available on high-end phones at the time.

Since you don't hear that name anymore, I actually looked up what became of it. Apparently it was hard to program for, both technically and economically speaking (as the development kits were expensive), so when Android and iOS (which don't have that problem) came around, it suffered a slow but sure death.

Or perhaps the world just wasn't ready for a "real" phone operating system at the time, just like it happened with tablets.

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by system28 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cm-dx1000.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	17260

Was my first mobile phone...looooong time ago
    Looks more like a remote control!

Instab's first phone:

Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (17.12.16)

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1750
    Yes, this was just a few weeks ago. I just entered their site to see if I could find it, and instead stumbled upon a much better offer: "up to 45 hours"! And they say mankind doesn't progress
    yeah....but not always progress means improved )) aka every year a new apple,new samsung,all the features...except the battery longetivity..wich remained the same since s3 :))

http://static3.businessinsider.com/i...-evolution.jpg

Instab's first phone:
    good one...imagine 2016 with this one..in the subway ..terrorism 101 :))
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    good one...imagine 2016 with this one..in the subway ..terrorism 101 :))
    I'd wager a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 would be more likely to elicit negative reactions
    Thanks

Elite
    P2P Client
    Anonymous
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1750
    well..i heard is out of production...so it will be a rarity....only exclusive ..elitist members will have one...cool phone at first glance tough...except the pen

offtopic ...teach me one more time to post a imagine....looks like i'm a noob again since [img][/img] don't work
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    offtopic ...teach me one more time to post a imagine....looks like i'm a noob again since image don't work
    It works, but only if the image is hosted on one of the following servers.

freebunker.com imagehost.org imagehosting.com imgrush.net imageshack.us bayimg.com tinypic.com photobucket.com sb-innovation.de shrani.si freeimagehosting.net wimg.co.uk imagebanana.com imgur.com imagebam.com image.bayimg.com abload.de anidb.net
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast