Thread: I'm not getting fired but I wish I was

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    7/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss2066
    Actually it was older stuff than that!
    When I started I already knew about algorithm and knew how to program in a language called "Clipper" which was very good to make DOS programs for small to medium business companies, like accountant tasks, payroll tasks, personal dept tasks and so on.
    In the first day on the programming course the teacher asked if anyone knew how to program, some lifted their hand including me, then we were asked in what language we knew, when I said Clipper he laughed at me and told me to forget all about it. Then he proceeded to "teach" us how to program in (Turbo) Pascal. Later in the following programming course with another guy we moved to C++ with data structure studies, then the test was to write a program which could calculate simple mathematical expression with parenthesis and the basic operations.
    We learned nothing about how to get rich with internet, since it was blooming in that year and things tend to come out lately here in my country, you know.
    We never touched Assembly.
    We were never taught anything about web design, Novell Netware and specially nothing about wireless networking
    There was a network course in which we learned the basics about the TCP/IP stack, IPs and all that stuff about subnet masking etc.
    In some other course we had to learn how to install Red Hat linux back in the day where if you wrongly configured the monitor setting in the installation you could kill it (brick it) by setting the wrong Hz in refresh rate or something like that, but up to this day I think that was an urban legend, don't know and never see that happening.
    Well that's about it about the Computer stuff we learned in the time I was there the other stuff was a lot of mathematical subjects like Calculus 1, 2 and 3, Physics 1, 2, Linear Algebra, Analytical Geometry, and some stuff I can't remember, basically the grade was very similar to engineering courses. Sorry for the long text.
    it's hip to be square
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Cizoxity (25.08.20) , anon (20.06.17) , slikrapid (20.06.17)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Clipper, now that's a name you can't mention without making people think you're much older than you really are. FoxPro is another

The "get rich" comment was a reference to this. The Internet was indeed still new, and many startups thought that merely having some presence on it and copying what all the big boys were doing was a guaranteed path to success. That's a very human mistake, but when they hit the wall, they hit it hard. Things come out late in my country too, but I saw it happen with sites like El Sitio, TecTimes or Datafull which took advantage of the novelty and were doing pretty well (I think Datafull even offered free dial-up), yet disappeared in the early 2000s.

Surprising Novell wasn't mentioned, as it was the choice for most serious networking back then. My previous school uses it for their student database to this day, but the sysadmin seemed to be on his late sixties, so that may have been a factor

TCP/IP is still relevant today and hasn't changed much, but IPv6 reinvents basically all concepts.

Linux was very hard to install for a newcomer, hence the prerequisites! As for the refresh rate thing, it was true at one point, and even then it depended on your hardware. All monitors manufactured in the last two decades are protected against this, and do not attempt to use any resolution/refresh settings they can't handle.

"I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

austinpowers (02.07.17) , alpacino (21.06.17)

So I started my new job today and I hate it already. The devil is in the details...
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430

Comfort zones are a bitch. It'll get better after a while.
    Thanks

I am a thunder god! And I hurl thunder bolts!!!!!
    Come to think of it, I don't even know why i need to work.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 27.06.17 at 23:07.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor
    you would know if you stopped working for some time (say, until your savings got depleted) - one aspect of work anyways...

other than that, the human body & mind work all the time, even when you're resting, whereas your consciousness does no work whatsoever

note: couldn't bother with anon's link, hopefully no dupe
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    note: couldn't bother with anon's link, hopefully no dupe
    Unlikely that a YouTube video could be a dupe of one of your posts But the idea is similar to your first line.
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (28.06.17)

hmmm, thank for your irl work place nightmares/experiences. very interesting read and I hope you guys would find your dream job some day,

but as I know life, sometimes you just have to work dead end jobs, so you can put food on the table and provide security for your family. other than that happiness is arbitrary.

also, my job experiences have also not been perfect, but sometimes you have to leave work at work.

but yes, work can always invade your personal life in negative ways.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Comfort zones are a bitch. It'll get better after a while.
    I don't think so, not this time. I don't like my colleagues, don't like my boss, don't like the location and definitely don't like the work. I like the money though...
    I'll quit next week.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 03.07.17 at 23:54.
    Thanks

An indeed I did not quit the next week, and of course I should've but I did not.
    Currently I'm annoyng the hell out of them. Projects get postponed, minor tasks are solved first leaving the really important ones behind, massive delays. I'm actually loving this because:
    • I've been awarded exceeds expectations and was working my way up to is a person to follow
    • solved several important issues that nobody in that team did so far

...but they are shocked because nobody figures out where this is comming from. They know I'm not neither stupid or idiot, yet things are chaotic now.

Now, before you bash me, consider this: everybody there cares only about themselves. They do nothing to imporve anything, and the bosses do nothing to help anyone.
    They freakin' deserve it.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor
    Now, before you bash me, consider this: everybody there cares only about themselves. They do nothing to imporve anything, and the bosses do nothing to help anyone.
    They freakin' deserve it.
    now consider this, you'll deserve everything that happens to you (because of your actions)
    by inflicting damage to others, you're inflicting damage to yourself (karma, action/reaction)
    choose wisely
    Thanks

I still don't get why I'm going to get whacked. They will never fire anyone, want to know why? It's because if they do they have to admit they hired a unqualified person and then they'll be in the same boat as I am. They care way to much about their own jobs rather than ending mine. These guys don't have the guts.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    it is not only about this job or these people, negative consequences (of your actions) can be manifested through anything in your life, seemingly unrelated to the actual cause
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    it is not only about this job or these people, negative consequences (of your actions) can be manifested through anything in your life, seemingly unrelated to the actual cause
    Share with me an example. Take the above situation, what could happen to me?
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast