Thread: The Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts that you should know

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773

Arrow The Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts that you should know

Microsoft has cooked in a number of multitasking keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10 which you should know
    Windows 10 has come and with it come new features and keyboard shortcuts. In fact, days of moving a mouse or using touch screens to navigate on your screen are now ancient with Windows 10.

Windows 10, the latest operating system that was released by Microsoft yesterday offers you a list of keyboard shortcuts that will speed up and give a faster browsing experience.

As of today, Windows 10 is available as a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users. With the introduction of variety of keyboard shortcuts like the right key press, you can now manage virtual desktops, navigate between new features or activate the new Cortana digital assistant. All the new important features added have been made easier to use with the Windows key shortcuts.

For instance, for trackpad users, tapping three fingers would activate Cortana, which can be changed to activate Action Center or swiping three fingers left or right alternates between apps and swiping three fingers up shows the new Task View.

Let’s have a look are the most important Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts that one should get familiarized with if using Windows 10:

Common keyboard shortcuts

Ctrl + C (or Ctrl + Insert) — Copy the selected item.
    Ctrl + X — Cut the selected item.
    Ctrl + V (or Shift + Insert) — Paste the selected item.
    Ctrl + Z — Undo an action.
    Alt + Tab — Switch between open apps.
    Alt + F4 — Close the active item, or exit the active app.
    Windows key + L — Lock your PC or switch accounts.
    Windows key + D — Display and hide the desktop.

New keyboard shortcuts

Windows key + A — Open Action Center.
    Windows key + G — Open the new Game DVR recorder when a game is running.
    Windows key + H — Open Share Charm.
    Windows key + I — Open Windows 10’s settings.
    Windows key + Q — Open Cortana in listening mode.
    Windows key + S — Open Cortana ready for typed input.
    Windows key + Tab — Open Task view.
    Windows key + Ctrl + D — Add a virtual desktop.
    Windows key + Ctrl + Right arrow — Switch between virtual desktops you’ve created on the right.
    Windows key + Ctrl + Left arrow — Switch between virtual desktops you’ve created on the left.
    Windows key + Ctrl + F4 — Close the virtual desktop you’re using.
    Windows key + Left — Snaps active window to the left.
    Windows key + Right — Snaps active window to the right.
    Windows key + Up — Snaps the active window to the top.
    Windows key + Down — Snaps the active window to the bottom.

These are the keyboard shortcuts which will help you navigate through the Microsoft’s latest operating system with ease. If you come across any shortcut which has still not been reported or a Easter Egg baked into Windows 10 kindly report it to us through our mail or by mentioning it in the comments.

You can also refer to the mini manual about Windows 10 features given in this article.
    Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

blood (07.09.15) , vladv (07.09.15) , GiggLe (07.09.15) , iwabo (02.08.15) , yoco (01.08.15) , Lucius (01.08.15) , Sazzy (31.07.15)

virtual desktops
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

I don't know how we could live this long without Action/notification center, and this cortana thing (I had her on my phone for a year now) is great
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Wow. Virtual desktops. I guess Windows has finally caught up. Linux/GNU OS has had that function for years (i.e. workspaces). Shows some companies are catching the tune, I guess.

The Cortana virtual assistant, from what I've read on the net does have some security issues for the average user. It's an interesting feature that Android/Google has had for some time as most will know. I've used it many times while driving (I know...I shouldn't be driving and using phone at the same time. Dangerous). Regardless, I value my privacy as much as the next person does.

Privacy statement from Microsoft:
    We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/priv...t/default.aspx

This is what I find disturbing about MS (and others, too of course): (Scroll down to 'Your Content')

To the extent necessary to provide the Services to you and others (which may include changing the size, shape or format of Your Content to better store or display it to you), to protect you and the Services and to improve Microsoft products and services, you grant Microsoft a worldwide and royalty free intellectual property licence to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, distribute via communication tools and display Your Content on the Services
    Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/serv...t/default.aspx

your content, when recorded by Cortana, and other digital services like what other services offer, is not private.

with Cortana:

To enable Cortana to provide personalized experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device.

Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on....
    I've always found that even in using Google voice app is a privacy issue in itself when used. I don't think that Cortana digital assistant is much different.
    Last edited by SealLion; 07.09.15 at 18:36.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

Virtual desktops are awesome. That being said, I've yet to use virtual desktops since upgrading. It's one of those amazing features I've never ever used in linux either. Still cool, though.

Cortana is a privacy concern because it runs on microsofts servers, not on your pc (and with good reason). It's easily disabled if you don't want to use it. But that being said, I believe it's mostly a concern and not an actual issue. (even so, I have disabled everything on my machine, though)
    Hell, Cortana isn't even available here in my country.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 07.09.15 at 21:15.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Did you check out the 'howtogeek' website on how to enable your lovely Cortana in all countries?

How to Enable Cortana Anywhere in the World on Windows 10

However, scroll down to 'Unexpected Consequences'
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

ParamouR (12.09.15) , Sazzy (09.09.15)

Thanks, but won't use it either way
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread