+ Reply to Thread

Thread: KDE Creates Plasma Mobile, A KDE Based Operating System For Mobile Phones

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

KDE Creates Plasma Mobile, A KDE Based Operating System For Mobile Phones

This came out a day or so ago on LinuxG.net. I think it's interesting in the way that it presents how devs of the various DE (in this case the KDE community) of some of the Linux/GNU OS systems are expanding into other parts of the mobile communication market.

Though I've got to say, it's fairly crowded and having Ubuntu Tablet and or phone on the market might continue to be challenging. Though in all honesty, I do hope that Canonical is successful. If it wasn't for Canonical/ubuntu in the very beginning, I don't think that the Linux communities would be where they are at now in regards to growth. Though growth might be a small number when spoken of in popularity/familiarity. But having small numbers in the familiarity/popularity scheme of things might also be a good thing as I don't think it's all that great to be too popular like Windows is.
    There are draw backs I believe.

Anyways, on to the news on my thread subject:

As you may know, the KDE developers have created Plasma Phone UI, a Linux based operating based on Ubuntu Touch and Kubuntu Linux.

The OS is open-source, has an user-friendly interface and provides a customizable platform for mobile devices. For now, KDE’s mobile OS is just a prototype and can be tested on the LG Nexus 5.

It uses Wayland as the default display server and can emulate KDE Qt apps, GTK+ apps, Ubuntu Touch Apps, Android apps and Android-compatible apps from platforms like Sailfish OS

The link is here:

Have a great day, folks.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (31.07.15) , Lucius (30.07.15)

nice! , for me the perfect operating system isn't around yet I hope this addition could change the software market for good.
    Good luck for the open source specially Sailfish :=)
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (31.07.15)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    So are you using Sailfish as a dual boot on an Android device that's been ported to a Google Nexus phone or on a tablet like the Jolla Tablet??
    Or are you running it as a persistent system on a desktop, for instance??
    I was reading that the Russian government was looking into making it an official OS for their governmental departments and agencies earlier this year.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

So are you using Sailfish as a dual boot on an Android device that's been ported to a Google Nexus phone or on a tablet like the Jolla Tablet??
    Or are you running it as a persistent system on a desktop, for instance??
    non of both is true :), but reading reviews about Sailfish and youtube videos. Wow this OS has a great future.
    unfortunately, it's not available to be purchased in my country yet.

I was reading that the Russian government was looking into making it an official OS for their governmental departments and agencies earlier this year.
    They declared sailfish as the official mobile operating system.

If Nokia -They will be afraid of the repetition of windows phone- supported sailfish I think this operating system will be the next, Jolla isn't powerful enough to make a powerful ecosystem for sailfish anyway. But I think Nokia will go with Android (Please don't ).
    Last edited by Lucius; 31.07.15 at 10:43.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread