+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TiddlyWiki or better alternative

TiddlyWiki or better alternative

I found TiddlyWiki (not to be confused with TiddlyWiki Desktop) by accident while I was searching a replacement for OneNote.
    I like the ideea of just one file, a html file that is OS independed, portable, easily carried and sent. This alone makes the whole thing worthwhile but the question is: can it really support large ammounts of text data? I think a very large 150MB html file will cripple any browser and would make the file useless.

What do you think? Is there anything similar to this but better?
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

I have tried a lot of note taking apps and I found that OneNote is the most impressive then EverNote in the second place.
    Both is feature rich and cross platform.
    Thanks

I know., this what i am using now but i want it to be os and internet independent. A local wiki sollution would be best.. Besides i don t want my data in cloud.
    Thanks

But it is OS independent. OneNote even runs on your smartphone. You don't need internet either, just save it on your disk.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    If you have a single 150 MB file, you probably should divide and organize a bit.

As for software recommendations, I like the Sticky Notes program in Windows 7. Those so inclined can even add cloud capabilities to it by hardlinking "%appdata%\microsoft\sticky notes" to Dropbox or whatever (but shouldn't have more than one instance open among all the computers sharing the notes). For everything else, there's Notepad.

A local wiki might be overkill, but you can simplify or customize it to suit your needs, and certain features (revision history, usable over a LAN by anything which has a Web browser) make it an interesting choice.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Code display ia hoerible in onenote. It take some to load for me and is hard to find information in there. I have hundreds of pages to move and cant find a suitable sollution.

Portable wiki is what i want.. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

MediaWiki + LAMP (or WAMP on windows, ZWAMP, uWAMP)

Instant portable wiki.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 06.07.15 at 21:59.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (06.07.15)

I tried everything, obviously nothing was good so I ended up with wordpress and got almost half of my notes on it. This is my story...

For the past month I have been dealing with windows deployment, WDS, WSUS, SCCM and other crap. Now, while I was dancing around with those, I need a sollution for fast disk wipping. At first I tried DBAN, made some modifications to the bootloader to be fully automatic, pop in the cd or stick and it'll remove everything. It worked very well but it was very slow. We needed a fast 1-2 sec. sollution. Now, the fastest format is not actually a format but a partition table wiper which to say taking any hex editor and filling with zeroes the first sector of a hdd. We just need for windows to see the drive as new and not used so we didn't care about data recoverability.

So I made this script in grub4dos that clears the first 512KB of the first drive in the computer, with the exception of my usb stick's mbr signature. The idea was a success, the fastest 2-sec wipe on the planet. Problem was that that stick was set to automatically boot the first entry after 10 seconds. Guess which entry it booted? That's right, 2-sec wipe. That stick happend to be personal so I took it home. Being an imbecil, I forgot that my BIOS at home was set to prioritize any other device besides the HDD. So it booted off of the stick, partition was wiped, tears, curses, hammer smashing the stick into tiny ashes...

I was very fourtunate that I created the script to only kill the first disk, not all disks which I initially created it. When I do something I usually do it near perfectly. If this was perfect I would of lost everything because all the data was on my secondary drive, which the script did not touch.
    But... I did lost all WIKI documentation, so... Now I keep everything in text files.
    Thanks

text files are just as easy to lose. If you don't want to lose anything, you'll have to have an off-site backup and even then it's not fool-proof.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    So I made this script in grub4dos that clears the first 512KB of the first drive in the computer
    Assuming a partition alignment of 1 MB, which is the standard on Vista and above, you can rebuild the partition table by going to LBA 2048, reading the data on boot sector, calculating where the partition ends and then writing the MBR entry manually. If there was more than one partition, find its boot sector and repeat the task. BootICE is good for this, and there are recovery programs that automate the whole ordeal.

In the case of a GPT disk, just copy the backup table which is located on the last cylinder.
    Thanks

text files are just as easy to lose. If you don't want to lose anything, you'll have to have an off-site backup and even then it's not fool-proof.
    Yes, but it is easier to move from one location to another when compared with those dreaded mysql db files. For portability requirements, a wiki is useless. I'm working with text files now because I created multiple languages in notepad++ to highlight specific sections and correctly list commands, comments notes and so on.

Assuming a partition alignment of 1 MB, which is the standard on Vista and above, you can rebuild the partition table by going to LBA 2048, reading the data on boot sector, calculating where the partition ends and then writing the MBR entry manually.
    True, but you forgot the panic factor.

BootICE is good for this, and there are recovery programs that automate the whole ordeal.
    Used testdisk at first. It recovered a primary partition of 100GB as 3GB. That script was executed multiple times so it overwrote MBR info.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    True, but you forgot the panic factor.
    What about the immediate wave of relief from knowing the fuck-up you've just done can be fixed?

Used testdisk at first. It recovered a primary partition of 100GB as 3GB. That script was executed multiple times so it overwrote MBR info.
    Try DiskGenius or Active@ Partition Recovery. As long as you've only overwritten the MBR, you can easily bring back all primary partitions with that method. Extended ones are a different, somewhat more complicated story.

BootICE can also do a backup of a disk's entire partition structure (in its own DPT format) and supports command-line parameters. You may want to automatize running it to have regular backups.
    Thanks

Once you have the backup of course it is easy. But I didn't because I never anticipated that a studpid usb drive would erase my MBR.
    I thought testdisk was the best. Are DiskGenius or Active@ Partition Recovery any good?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Are DiskGenius or Active@ Partition Recovery any good?
    They are. You only need to be careful with what you recover, as they may find several "partitions" that are actually leftover boot sectors.
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (30.04.17)

Since 2015, I've been using text files to store my notes. It works fine, I have a file for each technology/class/field and now I have over 120 study fields with overall 2 million lines. Now, these notes increases by 1 million/year if not more. I'm worried that soon I will not be able to use notepad++ anymore. It's not working at all with large files, and they don't even have to be large, size or length will kill notepad++. The only editor that will work for that much bulk would be EmEditor; very good editor but it's not like notepad++.

Still, I'm happy because the WIKI solution would not of worked better. Browsers are crippled at a mere 500k line html page...
    Android is also out of the game, no phone or tablet can handle this.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread