Poll: Do you prefer a Proxy Ratio Tool ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proxy Ratio Tool ?

Proxy Ratio Tool ?

What do you think ? Do you need one ? or VEM, RM and mRatio is enough for you ?
    Is it worth writing effort ?
    Like, ProxyFake and TorrentProxy
    Last edited by Lucius; 28.05.15 at 18:30.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

I don't know why, but I just don't fully trust a proxy
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    I don't know why, but I just don't fully trust a proxy
    For me, if it is well-written then it's safer than a normal ratio tool :)
    Thanks

That could go both ways: That fully depends on how well written the tool is, I'd say :)
    And how difficult it is to manipulate through a proxy vs directly from source.

I figure it also has some downsides as it can't keep faking after the torrent finishes (like VEM can with no upload enabled after finish)
    Thanks

That could go both ways: That fully depends on how well written the tool is, I'd say :)
    And how difficult it is to manipulate through a proxy vs directly from source.

I figure it also has some downsides as it can't keep faking after the torrent finishes
    wrote down on my to-do list, I have an idea

(like VEM can with no upload enabled after finish)
    and the Ratio Tool of VEM is brilliant , guys did a great job really.
    Last edited by Lucius; 28.05.15 at 19:46.
    Thanks

if you end up making something, it would be super awesome if it can also be compiled for raspberry pi! ;-)
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (28.05.15)

if you end up making something, it would be super awesome if it can also be compiled for raspberry pi! ;-)
    Anyway, soon there will be a free and special version of windows 10 for RasPi
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
    Anyway, soon there will be a free and special version of windows 10 for RasPi
    Only Pi2 and it will still be arm based, thus it won't just magically run all windows apps ;-)
    A .NET app would be viable, though.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 28.05.15 at 19:57.
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (28.05.15)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39476
    I figure it also has some downsides as it can't keep faking after the torrent finishes (like VEM can with no upload enabled after finish)
    It is possible to catch the completion event, and afterwards, the fact a torrent is 100% done, so nothing prevents the addition of such a feature as far as I can see.

In principle, a well-written proxy tool could do most of what a mod can (not having reliable access to "local" data like torrents' full sizes limits some functionality). In reality, some challenges are:

• the quirks of each BitTorrent client (peer_id and key generation, particularly) that must be recognized to accurately keep track of each session under all usage scenarios.
    • client crashes, which only affect the client, but leave "stale" sessions and generate new ones, which the proxy has to manage accordingly.
    • power failures, which affect both the client and the proxy tool and any data it was dealing with.
    • connection scalability; some people can seed 100, 500 or 1000 torrents1. All those announces have to go through the proxy, even if not all of them will be used to cheat. How well can the code deal with cases like that?

If that sounds like a lot of work, let's remember the main attractive: futureproof addition of cheating features to any version of any client!

I once tried to run RatioMaster 1.9.1 on a Windows CE smartbook after reading about the .NET Compact Framework, but it didn't work. I downloaded a copy of DosBoxPPC and managed to run ADOM. That fulfilled my quota of crazy experiments for that day.

1 = five years ago, I read a post from someone who was seeding twenty or twenty five thousand torrents. He was forced to use some version of uTorrent that was already old by then (apparently, newer ones would be pushed beyond their limits), and even then, run several instances with ~4900 torrents each.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

alpacino (01.06.15) , Lucius (29.05.15)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39476
    Come to think of it, is adapting RM+ to run under the .NET Compact Framework possible? I'd be able to obtain a Windows CE laptop for betatesting if necessary.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Probably, but it might be more interesting to upgrade it to a newer one. Those will receive all sorts of neat updates with Windows 10 coming up.
    Thanks

Come to think of it, is adapting RM+ to run under the .NET Compact Framework possible? I'd be able to obtain a Windows CE laptop for betatesting if necessary.
    I will see what I can do.

Probably, but it might be more interesting to upgrade it to a newer one. Those will receive all sorts of neat updates with Windows 10 coming up.
    .NET framework will be open source soon (some parts are already) which will change a lot of things. and also .NET programs will be compiled as native apps. so, I think with win10 the process of porting will be easier.
    I already thinking about porting RM+ to be a universal app which can be working on all the windows ecosystem PC, Tablet and Windows Phone/Mobile.
    I'm looking forward windows 10 to see what will be coming then I can focus the effort.
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

anon (30.05.15) , mmmmm (29.05.15)

Core has been on GitHub for a few months now which is the most important part. I think the biggest one still missing is WPF.

Where did you read .NET will be compiled as native apps, though? That's not how .NET works so I find that very surprising and honestly a bit doubtful.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 29.05.15 at 23:53.
    Thanks

Core has been on GitHub for a few months now which is the most important part. I think the biggest one still missing is WPF.
    That's right, not just WPF it's all GUI thing still missing.

Where did you read .NET will be compiled as native apps, though? That's not how .NET works so I find that very surprising and honestly a bit doubtful.
    Check this:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vst...netnative.aspx
    Thanks

That's right, not just WPF it's all GUI thing still missing.
    Does ASP count as a GUI? That has been up fairly early.

Check this
    Oh cool, compiler tricks! I have a feeling it will have some downsides (e.g. not the full blown .NET but a section like they did with Win8 apps)
    Curious and excited, this might be cool
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast