P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1619

Vivaldi (New Browser)

Extract:

The new browser, which is available for Windows, Mac and Linux, is still in its early days, but offers a number of features that loyal Opera users may remember. It sports mouse gestures for browsing and the familiar “speed dial” interface that shows your favorite tabs on the new tab page.

Meet Vivaldi, A New Browser From the Former CEO of Opera

https://www.vivaldi.com/
    Last edited by Blocker; 29.04.15 at 17:50.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Coolio feature: since it's based on chromium, you can install chrome plugins from the store. (e.g. for uBlock Origin!)

It's awesome so far, but still needs work. It can be really slow and sluggish at times.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 29.04.15 at 20:11.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

Blocker (06.05.15)

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Coolio feature: since it's based on chromium, you can install chrome plugins from the store. (e.g. for uBlock Origin!)
    what is this all about uBlock vs origin ?

It's awesome so far, but still needs work. It can be really slow and sluggish at times.
    what about the memory usage?
    I will diffidently try it but i just compare results :)
    Thanks

uBlock origin is a new adblock which is super lightweight.

It's based on chromium, so expect the amount of processes and memory usage chromium has. It's more about the experience the browser gives, since deep down in it's core it's completely the same. They just don't have the resources nor manpower to write that on their own for now.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    They just don't have the resources nor manpower to write that on their own for now.
    Opera did and they were doing pretty well, then fucked up by switching to WebKit/Blink. It's easier for them and allows to focus development efforts on other areas, yes, but I'm still somewhat angry at them for having killed a good rendering engine when there aren't many choices on desktop computers.

So far, Maxthon is the only Chromium-based browser I've tried that doesn't feel like a Chrome clone with a different UI and some new features.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Except Vivaldi is not an Opera product as far as I know, it's a product from ex-opera employees. A small team just can't write a full rendering engine that is actually worthwile. Nor can they afford to.

Anyway, do you even notice the difference in rendering engines, btw? I don't think that's the part that annoys you, as that should've been a complete "under the hood" thing. They just fucked up there by ditching all the opera goodness and taking in a lot of chromium.
    But, I don't think Vivaldi feels like Chrome at all. Though I'm not sure anymore how a browser can set itself appart. Speed, tabs, a minimal UI and multiprocess (because I don't want one tab crashing pulling my entire browser down) is all that matters in the end. All of them have that anyway, so...

While multiple rendering engines might be a good thing for the web to influence standards and keep things on track, I rather have one really good one so we can finally stop hacking our css and html together for different browsers. I would love to write just one piece of code that works well in all browsers out there. Luckily, the last few years that has improved a lot, but you get my point. It's just an engine, the end result is what matters: Games like Sanctum and Thief are both using the unreal3 engine, yet they are nothing alike.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 30.04.15 at 17:35.
    Thanks

After trying it for today, the browser is a really good one but needs some work on the performance of the UI.
    the memory usage is great.

I have a really old computer.
    Thanks

The UI is slow on a new computer as well :)
    I'm sure they'll iron out the kinks in due time.

Once it is snappy and plugins are _fully_ supported (for one, plugin buttons aren't added yet), I'll definitely switch from chrome to Vivaldi as my main browser.
    Thanks

Once it is snappy and plugins are _fully_ supported (for one, plugin buttons aren't added yet), I'll definitely switch from chrome to Vivaldi as my main browser.
    Count me in, don't forget about MS Edge which will support both chrome/firefox 's addons.
    Thanks

True,i have high hopes for that thing!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Except Vivaldi is not an Opera product as far as I know, it's a product from ex-opera employees. A small team just can't write a full rendering engine that is actually worthwile. Nor can they afford to.
    I know, and that's a valid point. I just wish they or somebody else could do the same now

Anyway, do you even notice the difference in rendering engines, btw? I don't think that's the part that annoys you, as that should've been a complete "under the hood" thing.
    Scrolling up and down is fastest and most fluid in Opera 12.x, and slowest on IE, with Chrome's engine in between. Also, Chrome can't highlight just text, it colors large chunks of a page instead (I highlight a lot to remember where I stopped reading when going through multiple articles, so that irks me more than it should). IE 9 and above are fast if your connection is fast. Otherwise, they're not good at progressive rendering. Pages will often remain blank or frozen until enough data has been received, then build up somewhat like we're on a dial-up modem; let's not forget the forced font smoothing either. Finally, Opera uses the least CPU, to the point I can have 40 tabs rendering and still work with other programs just fine. That may be a good leftover from having been coded when computers didn't have lots of processing power and memory to spare.

multiprocess
    That's the trend nowadays, and it does have its upsides, but doesn't work for me. I have many tabs open at all times, and a single-process browser is pretty much the only way for me to keep that habit without buying computers with 16 GB of RAM or more. My desktop will be 11 years old in a few months and I can't open more than two Chrome tabs without making it swap like crazy. It does hurt when something takes the entire browser down, but thankfully that rarely happens here.

Choice between both systems would be, of course, the perfect solution.

While multiple rendering engines might be a good thing for the web to influence standards and keep things on track, I rather have one really good one so we can finally stop hacking our css and html together for different browsers.
    "One World, One Web, One Program" -- Microsoft promotional ad
    "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" -- Adolf Hitler

With that said, I see where you're coming from. I've had to do small-scale Web design as part of my work, and getting even something simple like a fullscreen button to work fine everywhere was a nightmare. Since it was for an intranet, though, they only had to be good enough for Chrome
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1619
    uBlock origin is a new adblock which is super lightweight.

It's based on chromium, so expect the amount of processes and memory usage chromium has. It's more about the experience the browser gives, since deep down in it's core it's completely the same. They just don't have the resources nor manpower to write that on their own for now.
    How can you manage the Chrome apps ? I can't find it :S

---------- Post Merged at 20:49 ---------- Previous Post was at 20:44 ----------

Can't log in in some apps , i.e LastPass
    Thanks

lastpass works here, not sure why it's acting up on your end. I do have the external exe installed, but I doubt that makes a difference.
    As for managing apps, you can go to "vivaldi://chrome/extensions" or the chrome one works as well (redirects) "chrome://extensions"
    Last edited by Sazzy; 16.05.15 at 00:02.
    Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (18.05.15) , Blocker (18.05.15)

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1619
    lastpass works here, not sure why it's acting up on your end. I do have the external exe installed, but I doubt that makes a difference.
    As for managing apps, you can go to "vivaldi://chrome/extensions" or the chrome one works as well (redirects) "chrome://extensions"
    yeah Lastpass is working for me now , thanks for the links!
    Thanks

1.0.190.2 is really usable as a daily driver now.
    ich bin sehr glücklich
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread