Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The Android Thread

Might be cool to make an android tv out of it?
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss35954
    I guess, with a Bluetooth keyboard or something like that. If performance inside a VM was also good, it would be tempting to have Spotify mods, offline maps and perhaps Signal (all of which have no Windows equivalent I know of) on the desktop, but I have very little use for a second computer running Android exclusively.

I was thinking of showing the laptop to my mom next time she visits and seeing how well she can use it, like a social experiment
    "Come visit sometime, okay? We'll always be here for you. We... we all love you."
    Thanks

Doesn't signal and others need an actual phone number? I'd love to use the service but I don't want to use my number. That defeats the purpose as we are no longer allowed to have anonymous numbers in my country
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss35954
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Doesn't signal and others need an actual phone number?
    I'm afraid so. Their server only sees a hash of it, but others still need to have your number to talk, of course.

Silence is a fork that offers end-to-end encryption for SMS, it could be situationally useful.

we are no longer allowed to have anonymous numbers in my country
    Same here, but the registration system is a joke. I activated a line using a former president's name and national ID number just to see what happened - it still works. The funniest part is that this measure is supposed to prevent cell phone theft by allowing easy reporting and identification of stolen phones, but thieves can just "repair" the IMEI or sell them on neighboring countries.
    "Come visit sometime, okay? We'll always be here for you. We... we all love you."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss35954
    If you have something with a Mediatek processor and it's unusable because you're spammed with "com.system.update has stopped" popups, disable Play Protect in the Google Play Store and reset all applications to the default in Settings. You'll have to scroll and tap very quickly in between popups, but this will fix it (at the cost of reenabling all disabled apps and resetting their permissions).

It may be possible to do all of this more comfortably through the ADB shell, but this is the solution that worked for me.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    3/5 ssss35954
    Today I tried Limbo, a port of QEMU to the Android system. My experience with QEMU told me I shouldn't attempt to virtualize anything more demanding than Windows 9x, and that was indeed the case. Performance was very low - it took around 40 minutes to finish Windows 95's installation phase (first screenshot), and them some 10 more for the post-install setup. Once it was finally installed, there were noticeable delays in all operations. However, all of this is to be expected from emulating a completely different processor and instruction set on software, and on a low-end phone to boot.

Sound was laggy to the point of unusability, but their wiki lists that as a known bug. I didn't try networking, but apparently only NAT is available unless you can root and install a TAP adapter on the host. And if you can somehow compile an Android kernel with KVM support and install it, that gives a significant speed boost.

In its current state, this is little more than a novelty, although I do admire and wish the best for current and future development. And if you have an uberphone or want to run something with very low hardware requirements (DOS, Tiny Core Linux), you may find it more useful than I did!
    Thanks

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789