+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Android Thread

The Android Thread

Dedicating this new thread to all issues related to android which includes apps, OSes and other stuff.

Now onto my problem:
    I have installed maildroid and I cannot get it to sync new emails. I sent emails to myself and it does not sees them even though they appear in mail.yahoo.com. I don't get it.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Why not the yahoo app? Or k9? Never heard of maildroid, maybe it's an issue with the app.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 21.03.15 at 12:23.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Found the problem and corrected it. It was something else, not related to the app.
    Thanks Sazzy.

New problem.
    I have a token app from my bank. It only runs on non-rooted phones. What do I do? Is there a specific way to mask the app into thinking it is in a non-rooted phone?
    Thanks

Install xposed framework (which is f'ing awesome) and run the RootCloak module.

[MOD][XPOSED][4.0+] RootCloak - Completely H… | Xposed General | XDA Forums

I run xposed myself and can't imagine having an android without it.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (23.03.15)

What are your thoughts on security? I'm gonna use keepass and banking software on my android and don't want security issues.
    What would you recommend? I don't want to use an ativirus or something that will take lots of resources.

Thanks again, Sazzy.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 23.03.15 at 20:43.
    Thanks

If you're really concerned about security:

unroot and lock bootloader, only install apk's you find on the google play store, avoid all the rest. Avoid pirated apps at all cost, you can not be certain they haven't been tinkered with. (this is very very easy to do! even for people that don't really know how to program)

xposed can be a security risk, but doesn't have to be. (it runs the modules with root access). So basically, it's only a little bit riskier than installing anything while having root, especially those things you found on third party sites.

Ironically, the XPrivacy | Xposed Module Repository module can be used to increase security.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 23.03.15 at 21:08.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (23.03.15)

Avoid pirated apps at all cost
    I take you had a bad experience with them?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I take you had a bad experience with them?
    I haven't, but seeing how easy it is to edit apk's, it's a no-brainer that untrusted sources like pirated apps are evil when you're using banking apps etc.

I'm not scared easily when it comes to these things, but I have yet to install a pirated apk on my android. Better safe than sorry! Banking apps are generally very unsafe as is, to be honest! Mine complained my rather short password was too long and could be max 5 digits. What the actual fuck. And then they make you sign this contract saying it's all your fault if you have a rooted phone/weird apk's on your phone/etc.. So even if something bad happens, you won't get a return as you would in most other cases (e.g. your wallet gets stolen and the card is abused right before you can lock it)
    Last edited by Sazzy; 23.03.15 at 21:43.
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (23.03.15)

What the actual fuck.
    I love it when you talk dirty. Bring it on baby

I'm not scared easily when it comes to these things, but I have yet to install a pirated apk on my android. Better safe than sorry!
    So if not pirated what do you use? LP?
    Last edited by Master Razor; 23.03.15 at 22:24.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I love it when you talk dirty. Bring it on baby

Ins't it the same with windows? Install pirated software -> keylogger -> empty bank account. The same?
    I need a special key on my pc that changes every 30 seconds and I need to generate one 4 times before I can make a single transaction. The generator's display also asks for confirmation to the transaction, including the amount, so you'll be 100% sure you're not doing anything fake. The key is single use, as well.

On my phone, however, that same app only uses a 5 digit pin code, that only changes when you change it yourself.

So yeah, it's the same, but completely different at the same time. Plus it's a whole lot easier to sandbox apps, which I do, on the computer. It's hard for an app to keylog when you've shut the vm down
    Last edited by Sazzy; 23.03.15 at 22:28.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (23.03.15)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    What does root actually do to your phone?
    Thanks

It basically gives you (and your apps) access to all of android features. Similar to using an administrator account on windows.
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (24.03.15)

Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    What does root actually do to your phone?
    nothing, it just allows you to run apps with elevated rights. It's like "run as administrator" on windows.
    basically, apps get more rights thus they can do more than a non-rooted phone. Some/most things you can't do because of security reasons.

That being said, it's not a security risk per se. It's just that extra little hole in the defense grid for malicious software to abuse. So you have to be more careful about what you do. (I'm not even sure if a keylogger would work on a non rooted phone, btw, though don't quote me on that)
    Last edited by Sazzy; 23.03.15 at 22:47.
    Thanks

19. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (24.03.15) , Master Razor (23.03.15)

What do you use to control startup lists? Assign programs to start and disable ones that automatically are set to run at startup?
    I've been using SD Maid for this but is there anything more advanced?
    Thanks

I'm running Cyanogenmod which comes with privacy guard. You can block auto starting apps with it and all sorts of other things.

Titanium backup is pretty amazing for backups, but you can also freeze apps with it (which is what you were asking for, if i understood correctly)
    Last edited by Sazzy; 23.03.15 at 22:52.
    Thanks

22. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (23.03.15)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast