+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winds of change - uTorrent alternatives

Winds of change - uTorrent alternatives

Hello.

Since uTorrent becomes bloated, google chrome started blocking it because of trojans. Did you gus still use uT ? maybe its older version like 2.2.1. I must admit i started looking for alternatives, right now im experimating with Deluge, qBittorent and Transmision-QT all on Windows 8.1 platform.

So Deluge UI looks terrible on windows, and i feel its in beta page, it dont have basics funcion in GUI like changing language...

Transmission-qt on windows is unofficial port maked by some Mexican guy so i dont know i want to use it.

the lat one seems the best i mean qBittorent, it have native windows GUI, its the closes uT 2.2.1 "clone" in my feelings, its based on libtorrent 0.16.16 but devs working on 3.1.10 with newest libtorrent 1.0.1
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    7/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss2066
    Well I have used uTorrent 1.6 for quite a while, then another season with 1.8.5, now I'm just happy with 2.2.1 and the latest uSerenity (which is also 2.2.1).

A lot of trackers still support 1.6/1.6.1 up to this day.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

I personally like clients with a decent web ui as I never ever log in on the pc that's running my client.
    Honestly, right now I'm just running VEM as a service and access it through web. There's a few minor details missing from uSerenity, or I'd probably switch to that in a heartbeat.

Most trackers realize that utorrent 3+ is shit and even recommend to just stick with 2.2.1
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

P2P Client
    transmission
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss125
    Quote Originally Posted by czullo View Post
    Transmission-qt on windows is unofficial port maked by some Mexican guy so i dont know i want to use it.
    Don't use transmission-qt, use transmission-daemon-cygwin with the included GUI. I maintain it. You'll find my configurable leecher mod here at sb-i http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...threadid=31407 and regular support at sourceforge transmission-daemon-cygwin | Free Communications software downloads at SourceForge.net and github https://github.com/cfpp2p/transmission/commits/cygwin. I've got nothing against Mexicans, ( although I am half German, 1/8 Blackfoot Indian plus a few others ), but I do recommend transmission-daemon-cygwin over the Mexican's for a variety of reasons. I'd be happy to answer any concerns you have.
    Application error: warning -> battery failure imminent ~ shutting down NOW permanent == message to Earth -- finalized shudown code ... 6ikf9849l+!~:'?.|\
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

czullo (19.08.14) , Instab (19.08.14)

Quote Originally Posted by tr-cht-fx-242p View Post
    Don't use transmission-qt, use transmission-daemon-cygwin with the included GUI. I maintain it. You'll find my configurable leecher mod here at sb-i http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...threadid=31407 and regular support at sourceforge transmission-daemon-cygwin | Free Communications software downloads at SourceForge.net and github https://github.com/cfpp2p/transmission/commits/cygwin. I've got nothing against Mexicans, ( although I am half German, 1/8 Blackfoot Indian plus a few others ), but I do recommend transmission-daemon-cygwin over the Mexican's for a variety of reasons. I'd be happy to answer any concerns you have.
    after reading about this cygwin port i see that he will not update it to the 2.8x branch, but sticking with 2.77 instead. I allways thinking thats good keepeing port up to date...
    Thanks

The problem with this is that it isn't native to windows. Many unexpected problem can occur because of this.

tr-cht-fx-242p, Would you recommend using this instead of utorrent/userenity?
    Thanks

qBT and transmission is your best choices. Or just stick to older uT version.
    Thanks

i need only simple, fast aclient and dont want to play with gui and other things so at the moment i think qB is leeding the race, i cant stand Deluge-linux strange gui...
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss58
    I really wish I could find utorrent alternative too. Fast, Light e portable version would be nice. Utorrent have many issues with windows 8 big files.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    One client that I haven't seen mentioned in this discussion is Halite. Last updated on 2013, but maybe that's because it's so perfect nothing else must be changed

Personally, I use uTorrent 3.something with some/most of the garbage removed with a hex editor and advanced settings. Good enough for me these days.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Yep thats another concern that i req from software at leat 1-2 updates yearly. BTW in this week Tixati relase new version 1.97 but when i install the old one 1.96 this GUI and black colors tbh looks worst than Deluge
    Thanks

P2P Client
    transmission
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss125
    after reading about this cygwin port i see that he will not update it to the 2.8x branch, but sticking with 2.77 instead. I allways thinking thats good keepeing port up to date...
    hmmm, this is not as easy to explain as you might think. What's not updated are only three things.

1.) There is a 'quark' method of internal bencoded data which was supposed to have made the transmission application faster. It didn't. I don't think you will find a single person who'll claim it did make libtransmission faster. ( Initially this produced a ton of bugs/crashes but it looks there all fixed by now ).

2.) The threading model was changed to try to prevent certain temporary hangs. It didn't. The bug tickets and forum posts originally posted about the hangs are still open and still receive intermittent complaints. The threading structure changes created a plethora of bugs and crashes. The reverting of many of these changes fixed some but not all of the bugs and crashes, but in the end most went back to pre-2.8x anyway.

3.) There's a rename function for torrent files which doesn't always work. Bugs in the code allow nonsense. Overwriting of existing data, infinitely downloading the same data over and over, and seeding of wrong data can be produced.

Nearly all of the bugs and updates you'll see at the official site and 2.8x branch are for problems created by the above three things.

Anything else is updated in the port. There is great pride put into the port to produce an application that will run continually for months on seed boxes or otherwise without problems or crashes. Plus a lot of requested enhancements and features refused by the official developers.

The port really is kept up-to-date and even more so sometimes than the official as even now there is a fix in the port for a security vulnerability that is not in the official that can allow a malicious torrent to overflow or crash transmission remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    The problem with this is that it isn't native to windows. Many unexpected problem can occur because of this.

tr-cht-fx-242p, Would you recommend using this instead of utorrent/userenity?
    There are specific fixes to address the not native to windows, for example
    https://github.com/cfpp2p/transmissi...717c0a0fafb19d

There is unofficially some official native Windows transmission changes and support happening but it's not with any real effort and largely untested. I don't consider it worth much at this point.

I used to use a long time ago utorrent 1.61 but I'm completely confident in transmission and know the source code very very well.

I'm not trying to 'sell' this port to anyone per se, it more about sharing my confidence and pride in a believably well crafted application in which I know the source code especially well.
    Application error: warning -> battery failure imminent ~ shutting down NOW permanent == message to Earth -- finalized shudown code ... 6ikf9849l+!~:'?.|\
    Thanks

P2P Client
    transmission
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss125
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    One client that I haven't seen mentioned in this discussion is Halite. Last updated on 2013, but maybe that's because it's so perfect nothing else must be changed

Personally, I use uTorrent 3.something with some/most of the garbage removed with a hex editor and advanced settings. Good enough for me these days.
    I played around with Halite since I'd never used it, and I think it's far from perfect. Felt like it was missing something in its integration with libtorrent-rasterbar. Didn't like how it dealt with magnet-links, could choose which files to download but it did allow the use of sparse files. The GUI lagged behind what was happening so I found it confusing sometimes.

In that respect, if one likes the underlying libtorrent-rasterbar, then qBittorrent is far better. Personally, my choice is libtransmission and transmission-remote-gui. With the native Windows GUI or remote web interface and the cygwin transmission daemon running as a service it works pretty darn good.

So what would I recommend.

1) transmission
    2) qBittorrent
    3) older uTorrent

Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (23.08.14) , anon (23.08.14)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss90
    Yep thats another concern that i req from software at leat 1-2 updates yearly. BTW in this week Tixati relase new version 1.97 but when i install the old one 1.96 this GUI and black colors tbh looks worst than Deluge
    Actually I love Tixati's UI, lol. Any leecher Mods for Tixati and Deluge?

I have been use USerenity more than 2 year, only downside is lack of "stream" feature.
    Last edited by WzT; 23.08.14 at 17:01.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    qbittorrent; RM+
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss793
    I still use utorrent 1.6 and utorrent 3.2.3 and I´m fine on all trackers
    Thanks