Thread: Install Cinnamon DE Nightly

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

Install Cinnamon DE Nightly

Hey everyone.
    For those of you using Ubuntu, Ubuntu Derivatives, Debian, or even Mint there is a Cinnamon DE Nightly that you can use which is updated. Also, Since Mint 17 is due to be released soon next month sometime in May, that Cinnamon nightly v 2.2 will be released with Mint Qiana.
    I found the following info at this link here:
    Cinnamon 2.2 Has Been Released. How To Install Cinnamon 2.2 On Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr | LinuxG.net

It's the following command structure in Terminal. Make sure that if you go to the link listed above that you navigate to the section high-lighted in RED.

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install cinnamon
    $ sudo apt-get upgrade
    $ sudo apt-get install gir1.2-cmenu-3.0
    You might also want/wish to read some of the comments below the post.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Blocker (30.04.14)

P2P Client
    rTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss445
    thx, but I dislike direction in which cinnamon is going. its kinda too heavy desktop, even requires 3d accecleration to be able to run it. I'm more fan of lighter environments akin to XFCE or even MATE.
    Thanks

Why should we chose cinnamon over another character?
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowww View Post
    thx, but I dislike direction in which cinnamon is going. its kinda too heavy desktop, even requires 3d accecleration to be able to run it. I'm more fan of lighter environments akin to XFCE or even MATE.
    I find the same with KDE though apparently, and from what I've been hearing through the grapevine, is that KDE supposedly is to be getting somewhat lighter. I like the eye-candy that KDE supplies but I find that it has too much of everything. Stuff you don't really need unless you like all the extras. GNU/Linux is meant to be lighter than it's competition and lately, distros like Ubuntu is starting to get a bit too heavy.

Other distros like Antergos and other Arch architectures are phenomenally fast, quick, and superbly stable. Antergos, along with the Cinnamon DE I still find one of my top favorites. And even though it has the Cinnamon DE, which I don't really notice slowing down Antergos as you might do, still (IMO) remains far ahead of the other distros for stability, esthetics, and usability for the average user.
    What I like so much about the Arch - type distros, like Antergos and ArchBang is the fact of their awesome stability in using the latest kernel, softwares, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Why should we chose cinnamon over another character?
    Personal tastes is the most likely answer that I do believe you'll receive from those who use this DE and from those who prefer something else.
    Last edited by SealLion; 03.05.14 at 03:44.
    ordain them laws".

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

Sazzy (03.05.14)

P2P Client
    rTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss445
    Can't believe ArchBang has been mentioned in the wild, thought its way too obsucre.

It is surely, the perfect choice for all weak, CPU/RAM limited laptops/desktops/netbooks. Love it for its speed, and great package manager.

http://www.pohrani.com/f/1n/uA/7ePDs...1611161680.png
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (04.05.14)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I think that perhaps that the reason why great distros like ArchBang and even Antergos, if not also Manjaro (also an Arch-type cousin) hasn't been mentioned as often as other distros like Mint and Ubuntu is because organizations like Canonical most obviously are heavy on advertising their distros. >However and quite honestly, if it wasn't for distros like Ubuntu, you probably wouldn't have Linux where it is now. With Canonical moving off to a tangent into the cellular markets, I would't be surprised to see Linux/GNU increasing it's market share. No doubt it will take time and patience on Canonical's behalf to see their market share improve to what is probably quite possible for them. However, there is a downside to increased share and popularity. My biggest fear is bloatware. And Ubuntu is beginning to head into that direction. If it isn't already there, that is.

Also, as for the 'obsure' part of your statement, I wouldn't agree with that myself. I suppose I'm making that statement on the behalf of those want who use Arch systems. I totally love the Arch systems. Systems like Antergos I can't seem to praise enough. I love it's simplicity and the fact that it uses the latest cutting edge softwares as soon as they are released. I am no longer surprised on that system's integrity and stability on that front. It's unfortunate that Antergos and ArchBang are kind of on the mid point on the Distrowatch list because ever since I started to use Antergos, I 've never experienced any difficulty with it. And that includes that system's variation of the latest kernels when they become released. Systems like Antergos, which is very noob friendly within the forums, should have a higher standing, IMO.

The other thing that I truly like about both of these systems is their phenomenal boot down times. I have counted around 1 and half seconds most times. Boot up isn't that slow either. It's definitely quick.
    Last edited by SealLion; 04.05.14 at 03:36.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread