+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting a job

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I would get the certifications but I lack the money. they aren't exactly cheap down here.
    very good point, i'd mention that in case they ask
    Your account has been disabled.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    @Master Razor:

is it better to send it directly to the employer (email) or send it via recruiting site?
    directly is always better (proactivity!)
    as for the recruiting site: yes, if they act as 'headhunters', have a good reputation,... - no, if they are so lame that you can't even send the cover letter via their service

Quote Originally Posted by anon
    You can mention you have "CCNA-level skills" and then make a bullet list of everything that implies
    i'd skip the bullet list part here because:
    - if these skills are needed, they will become curious and invite you to the interview, where you can take the opportunity to 'recite' that bullet list
    - no need to bloat the CV with unnecessary details (if the certificate title already provides this information)
    - the following can be used to avoid confusion: CCNA-level skills (unofficial course) or CCNA-level skills (uncertified) or CCNA-level skills (practical experience, not yet officially certified) or some other short description of your skills/their level/...

Both! It maximizes the chances they'll see it, and there's no downside.
    a major downside: they will think that you are being rather annoying (also, who wants to go through several copies of the same, eh?) - so call them up later on and they will notice you, at least their HR department will

Don't get me wrong, I would get the certifications but I lack the money. they aren't exactly cheap down here.
    and companies know that, the key here is to show your interest/actions regarding such certificates/advancements, its not uncommon for companies to take over the financial burden regarding the certification process
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

anon (09.02.14) , Master Razor (08.02.14)

no, if they are so lame that you can't even send the cover letter via their service
    Actually, they don't allow intent letters. I've always thought that was an arrangement with them; i.e no harm done.

CCNA-level skills (practical experience, not yet officially certified)
    I like this one better. Thanks for this.

they will think that you are being rather annoying
    That's what I've always thought but what harm can it cause? Can they blacklist me or...?

so call them up later on and they will notice you, at least their HR department will
    What do you mean by call them?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    CCNA-level skills (practical experience, not yet officially certified)
    This sounds good.

a major downside: they will think that you are being rather annoying (also, who wants to go through several copies of the same, eh?)
    Sometimes companies check recruitment sites way more sparingly than their inbox (or viceversa), in that case trying both ensures one of the copies is taking the fastest possible path. I don't think you'd come off as annoying unless you carpet-bomb them.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor
    What do you mean by call them?
    the potential employer, their HR department or whoever else is on the contact info you got from the employer (when using direct, email communication - maybe not quite applicable when going through that recruiting site you mentioned), imo a much better solution than just sending them dup(licat)es

I don't think you'd come off as annoying unless you carpet-bomb them
    hehe, maybe they hire him 'because he was so annoying', certain positions do require such a skill
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (09.02.14)

All guides on the web are USELESS!
    Here's a list:
    -calling recruiter/thank you note
    -gather company info/what do you know about us?
    -how much money do you want?
    -good written resume/cover letter

I landed my last two jobs without knowing anything about the company. They don't care. When they do ask this, means they have way too many candidates and cannot decide on which candidate to go with.
    Thank you notes are useless because they are so busy, you can actually annoy them with these.
    Resume and cover written perfect don't mean jack. Nobody cares, they have automatic systems that search through documents and that's how they choose. As long as MSCE/CCNA/CCEE ... are written correctly, you'll win even if you you're an ox when it comes to your native language.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent 1.8
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss281
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    All guides on the web are USELESS!
    Here's a list:
    -calling recruiter/thank you note
    -gather company info/what do you know about us?
    -how much money do you want?
    -good written resume/cover letter

I landed my last two jobs without knowing anything about the company. They don't care. When they do ask this, means they have way too many candidates and cannot decide on which candidate to go with.
    What's the update on your job change?
    Thanks

Horrible. I can't find anything that will allow me to grow.
    I am underpaid at my current job, my boss is an imbecil, my collegues are the same and wind up doing most of their jobs.

For a department to work, they hire 6 incompetents and 1 really competent person so that he may do the job for all of them. That's how things work in Romania.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss2
    In my view the best chances of getting a job is to draft your Resume according to the Job you are applying for.

If you are applying for a job as Digital Marketer nobody is interested if you have worked Part Time at any Fuel Station or any Supermarket. They want to know what Professional and Personal Experience you have as a Digital Marketer.

In order to get attention of recruiters the best way is to either Call the Recruiter directly or Connect with Him/Her on Linkedin.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12