+ Reply to Thread
Page 197 of 392 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207247297 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,955 of 5877

Thread: The Chat/Spam Thread

Honestly, that Windows 10 is pretty shit. The latest build 1703 sees all USB sticks as internal HDDs which is why it cannot be used with Rufus or any other image to USB software anymore.
    Akeo (developer of rufus) is really pissed off right now, he's cursing microshit. That damnable corp... they destroyed skype, they massacred office. Excel 2016 is the slowest version of them all. Long live accoutants with 90K+ rows.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Hey anon, I love you man
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

anon (19.04.17)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    Okies, I'm back from the meeting

There are good and bad news. A second shift at the same place isn't possible. However, there's one available elsewhere, not very far from it. I heard it's a rather small school with some 300 students and the workload is tame, which would make it the next best choice. I'll ask around for more feedback before jumping in, and if the responses are positive, I'll take it. (Other slots are also available, but very few have non-overlapping hours and are at a reasonable distance.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Trust me that 12 is too much and you won't keep it up, even if it's something you love.
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    true for extended periods of time, though it could be worth the occasional effort to reach a milestone (or few) needed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Oh definitely. I had a 15 hour day on Wednesday. It was brutal. Resulting in a 50 hour week, it's pretty sure that I will be taking things easy the coming week.
    It's very rewarding when you do end up getting your milestone.
    I don't mind doing this occasionally. I have done plenty of overtime when something broke and I was the only one who could solve the problem; I even once stayed until the first few hours of a Saturday fixing our network rack. Getting stuff done is rewarding, and the extra income from working two jobs every day would be even better. However, I want to have some time for myself too, which I won't if I work from dawn till dusk every day.

Of course, these are the choices and numbers I have now. You never know what kind of offer may come your way tomorrow.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    20 years ago I was bunring thousands of CDs. I had 2 CD writers and they were burning non-stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    hehe, i did several thousands of those as well (only 1 burner/writer used at any point), though never got to check all that stuff thoroughly - the number of items that get released daily is large and over time it just adds up to ridiculous, unmanageable amounts
    Back then, this was the best archiving method available to the average user. But in this age of USB sticks, multi-terabyte drives and cloud storage, optical media has a much less prominent role. I still have my DVD rewriter and floppy drive, though.

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    Hey anon, I love you man
    Ah, if only these public declarations of love took place in real life.
    Last edited by anon; 19.04.17 at 04:42. Reason: Forum rule -14: yetis are allowed to triple post, but only on days that end with "Y".
    Thanks

Anyone here play chess? If so, let's schedule a day to play it amongst ourselves like a 2 hour saturday night gaming.

When I'll have the money, I'm definately buying a chess set made out of ivory... It just doesn't compare to the normal cheap crap.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 19.04.17 at 17:07.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    I was in the chess club back in primary school, but I spent more time reading about the game than actually playing it.
    Thanks

At least you have a solid foundation of chess which you can build upon experience at any time.
    Any time you'd like to play I'll be right here.

@all
    What real-time chat programs do you guys use? Let's agree on something so that we can talk all the time, like a chat room.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    @all
    What real-time chat programs do you guys use? Let's agree on something so that we can talk all the time, like a chat room.
    I think previous experiments have proven this thread is as close to a chat room as we'll get. It's hard to make a real one work when we're all around the world (i.e. different time zones) and have work and other responsibilities that prevent us from joining even during "normal" hours. Also, periods of low activity make people check the chat less since there's nothing going on, which in turn causes a feedback loop. That's what happened to our IRC channel, it was already dead before the network owners pulled the plug.

This is not the same, I know, but at least you won't miss anything by not being online at the right time, and you can reply whenever you want
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    In other news, I found my 17-year-old HP Deskjet 420 printer buried below some clothes in a closet. Everything's in there, including the AC adapter, data cable, cartridge holder and dust cover. I didn't even remember having it. I wonder whether anyone would buy it... it has a parallel connector, and you can only load one cartridge at the same time. The big choice was between printing in black & white, in color and using all colors to "create" black (which exhausted the ink faster), or manually swapping them as necessary.

I turned it on and it works, but I have no cartridges to actually try it, and they're pretty expensive at $30 each.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    $30 for 17 years old printer? jesus!!!

On another note, you guys think buying an extra 8Gb of Ram would I see big difference in games? I currently have 8gb.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    qbittorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss322
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    On another note, you guys think buying an extra 8Gb of Ram would I see big difference in games? I currently have 8gb.
    ---PCGamer

How much RAM do you really need for gaming? Time was that 4GB was more than enough for gaming and most daily tasks, but those days are in the past.

If you have too little RAM—say, 4GB—there's a good chance a lot of the games you want to play just won't run, or at least won't run well. Mass Effect: Andromeda, for example, lists 8GB of RAM as the required minimum, falling in line with many other modern games. And even for those that have a minimum of 4 or 6GB, 8GB is definitely recommended, as other programs on your PC run in the background.

Having said that, 8GB isn't exactly hard to come by. Most pre-built systems ship with at least 8GB or more to begin with, and when building your own PC, 8GB kits are easily considered budget picks.

But what about higher RAM counts. Can your system make use of 16GB? Is 32GB worthwhile?

We consider 16GB to be a nice sweet spot for a solid gaming system. It should be more than enough to run your games and multitask as needed. You'll also want at least 16GB if livestreaming is a priority for you. The ability to run and stream a game on one monitor while responding to chat questions, playing music, and doing whatever else in another is definitely the kind of task list that would benefit from an extra bit of RAM headroom.

The question gets a bit tougher as you go even higher. Is 32GB overkill? In general, yes. The only real reason an average user would need 32GB is for future proofing.

As far as just simply gaming goes, 16GB is plenty, and really, you can get by just fine with 8GB. In a handful of gaming performance tests, Techspot found basically no difference between 8GB and 16GB in terms of framerate. In their tests, GTA V (9GB RAM total usage) plus 65 open Chrome tabs (2.2GB usage) performed at 56 fps with both 16GB and 8GB RAM configurations. Similarly, Batman: Arkham Knight (9.8GB total usage) plus the same 65 Chrome tabs pulled 102 frames at 16GB and only dropped to 101 with 8GB.

In general, more RAM can make your computing more pleasant, and we certainly don't recommend against 32GB. But if you're looking for the best way to improve framerate, a better video card is going to make a much bigger difference than going from 8GB to 32GB, which may have no effect at all.
    Last edited by Codec; 23.04.17 at 12:39.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (23.04.17)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    65 open Chrome tabs (2.2GB usage)
    There's no way 65 Chrome tabs can use that amount of memory unless most of them are unloaded or about:blank. Even with --process-per-site and no plugins, it eats RAM like popcorn.
    Thanks

@yoco
    Depends on what you want to do. There is no game on the market that uses 8GB, most use 4-5GB. The ammount of memory you need is based on your multitasking skills.
    For instance, if you are like me Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-04-25_160723.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	17668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-04-25_160723.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	17668
    Then you'll need at least 16GB to run the game and do your day to day tasks.
    I have 32GB of RAM,, 8GBs are always used by the programs in the picture. If playing a game that takes 6GB more... 8+6GB + some spare space, I would barely make it with 16GB of ram.
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (26.04.17)

Windows tip:
    If you open a select/open dialogue (eg. using ctrl + o) and then open an explorer window and navigate to a location, clicking afterwards on the open dialogue will result in changing the location to the one your navigated.
    Very very useful for those times when you need to navigate to the 20th subfolder...
    Last edited by Master Razor; 26.04.17 at 00:42.
    Thanks

19. Who Said Thanks:

anon (27.04.17)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 197 of 392 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207247297 ... LastLast