Thread: The Chat/Spam Thread

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor
    dude.. please. computing is over, personal computing at least.
    there are many other ways of accessing such an age - in this world through memories, visions, dreams, research (of past times, your own or someone else's, in a sane state of mind or less so), sometimes even in the future if similar cycles follow, perhaps in a near future (through rebuilding of civilizations after major cataclysms, that aim towards the digital stage or computing) or far in the future (witnessing such events after many reincarnations), by getting reborn in other worlds that may have just entered a similar stage, etc.

way easier to control by the GOVERNMENTS.
    or so many of them thought for thousands of years, yet control keeps slipping through their fingers, for it is not theirs to have (they may wish for it and then experience suffering when their expectations are not met and cause suffering while trying to reach for it)

or to quote lenny kravitz: 'it ain't over till its over' hehe
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    I sold a laptop and a cellular modem today

All I need to do now is not spending the money in fancy gadgets I want but don't really need. When I first got a job I thought that wouldn't happen to me, but it seems I'm not invulnerable. I have to move out this year no matter what... something will work out.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

You're telling me lol. I ordered a keychain the other day, and bought 20 dollars of extra items to skip on the 3 dollar shipping costs...
    It's all stuff I can eventually use, but still. Damn you amazon!
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

You're telling me lol. I ordered a keychain the other day, and bought 20 dollars of extra items to skip on the 3 dollar shipping costs...
    Damn everybody! This happens everywhere!

@anon
    hey anon, what other retro tools and games do you have? that solitaire from win nt is the bomb.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    "We buy things we don't need, to impress people we don't like get free shipping." -- Tyler Durden[citation needed]

I never have anything shipped home and always pay cash. Not abstracting things and having the item(s) take some effort from my side to get, as well as seeing "real" money go away in the purchase, helps me keep these spendings under control

I did a house cleanup last month. It was pretty amazing to see how much stuff I own that I never really used, and in a few cases didn't even remember having. There is always some small reason to keep each and every item (it brings back memories/I "may" need it in the future), so I had to be harsh with myself and filter aggressively; one of the items for sale is my first laptop, which still works great after six years. In the end, though, it feels good to get rid of things I don't need and make some room in the process, which is an upside.

Anyway, yesterday I sold a Sony Vaio which I never used, and I already have buyers interested on a netbook and a mobile phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    @anon
    hey anon, what other retro tools and games do you have? that solitaire from win nt is the bomb.
    What I have already sent you is most of my collection; there are some more programs and games, but they're spread over multiple folders in a few disks. If I can find the time to fetch them all, I'll send them your way.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler
    "We buy things we don't need, to ...
    if we bought them, it means we needed them, even if it is only to realize that we don't need them (anymore)
    Thanks

And listen to Razor's advice: always buy expensive!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    if we bought them, it means we needed them, even if it is only to realize that we don't need them (anymore)
    True. Sadly you're stuck with the now-useless item after the realization, but hey, life's hard

And listen to Razor's advice: always buy expensive!
    Buy smart. If that happens to overlap with expensive, then so be it. Remember that 1. it's not just what you've got, it's also how you sell it; 2. prices are partially influenced by how much sellers think you'll want to pay.
    Thanks

ok, try this: has there ever been a time when a cheap item was better than an expensive item?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by anon
    Sadly you're stuck with the now-useless item after the realization
    useless for you at that point in time? perhaps, but it is never useless in general, for that which is useless does not exist in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by anon
    Buy smart.
    this
    when in doubt, buy mid-range, since (very) cheap is probably of (very) low quality and (very) expensive is probably (very) overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor
    has there ever been a time when a cheap item was better than an expensive item?
    a simple rose as a gift to your girlfriend, as opposed to some expensive kind of roses
    in a similar sense, an item that has a personal meaning, as opposed to a similar, expensive item with no personal relevance
    relevant personal spiritual realization, as opposed to expensive books filled with theories
    warez, as opposed to expensive software/media with a price tag
    etc.

in general, if your financial abilities are limited, cheaper items are a better choice (but not too cheap, yeah?)
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    ok, try this: has there ever been a time when a cheap item was better than an expensive item?
    When DVD players were getting trendy, my dad bought a Sony one. We are all excited until we found out it could only play transcoded DVDs (i.e. burning several AVIs in a single disc to make the most of it was impossible) and didn't even read all recordable media. My uncle had a smaller budget, and thus a Chinese one from an unknown brand. It could play every disc and almost every video format we tried.

The Oukitel C3 is a smartphone that goes for as little as $40 and has much better hardware and features than those costing more.

http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthread.php?t=30933 - this RAM stick is still working today, whereas I've seen Novatech and Kingston fail within the same timeframe.

Moreover, you need to define "better". Not all parameters for that are objective, there is also how much you can spend, how much you'll be using the item, and how much functionality you require. slikrapid gave good examples, here are some more. You need to cover a two-room apartment with two or three things that get online, which router is better?

You want a second phone with good battery life to receive some calls without giving your real number. Which one is better?

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    useless for you at that point in time? perhaps, but it is never useless in general, for that which is useless does not exist in the first place
    This reminds me of when I was at a videogame's online forum and we discussed which item was the most useless. Turns out none of them were, because a potion that did nothing could be transformed into poison, a scroll that confused you could be erased and have something else written on, and everything else could be sold, polymorphed, thrown as a weapon, dropped in the floor as a distraction, and so on... real life is just the same, nothing's truly useless, just not useful for the purpose(s) you want.
    Thanks

I am losing my mind!!!
    Last edited by Master Razor; 26.03.17 at 01:20.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    I am losing my mind!!!
    Looks like my job here is done
    Thanks

I just finished re-installing windows on my laptop when I had the inspiration to download ImgBurn. I ran it as admin and noticed the setup was a bit different. I then cancelled the setup and continue setup shortcut appeared on my desktop.
    I ran 4 full scans with malwarebytes and done 6 restarts. From what I can tell nothing was changed, no sign of infection.

It just makes me sooo mad. It's a damn burning software. You just can't trust anybody these days.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 193 of 392 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243293 ... LastLast