Page 343 of 343 FirstFirst ... 243293333341342343
Results 5,131 to 5,136 of 5136

Thread: The Chat/Spam Thread

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss37320
    I visited my ISP's homepage and noticed they recently added a gigabit plan. But what's the upload speed on it? 30 Mbps. The 100M plan I have right now has a 10 Mbps upload. Why don't they scale it linearly, are they afraid people will upgrade? Or is 30 megabits good enough to prostitute your private life on Facestagram and maybe stream on Twitch?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7781
    My ISP went from 500/500 fiber to 500/50 so....
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I visited my ISP's homepage and noticed they recently added a gigabit plan. But what's the upload speed on it? 30 Mbps. The 100M plan I have right now has a 10 Mbps upload. Why don't they scale it linearly, are they afraid people will upgrade? Or is 30 megabits good enough to prostitute your private life on Facestagram and maybe stream on Twitch?
    honestly yeah it's enough, 6-10 will get you a very long way, but also it seriously sucks. I get that they're trying to prevent people from setting up seeding boxes or what not... probably... buuuut, imagine having to get the gigabit plan just because you stream on twitch in a watchable quality. If you always play the same game and arent really someone how downloads a lot, it's just such a waste. Let's not even mention your stream dropping because you don't live alone and someone else might set up a stream or upload something. Idk how it works with you guys, but if i manage to hit my download speed, my upload speed also seems to tank severely. It's not unheard that you have to get an update for a game you're streaming. Why not just... idk, at least give half of the download speed? If you're getting 100 down, 50 up doesn't seem crazy and even acceptable. And allow them simultaneously. Meaning you can really get 100 down and 50 up at the same time. I know I really like complaining about internet but geez. They're really getting every penny they can out of it and, at least in my country, we just have to take it since we have like 2 major instances and all the others are just using their networks thus come with the same rules. Costs an arm and a leg too.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 12.04.21 at 07:26.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss37320
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    My ISP went from 500/500 fiber to 500/50 so....
    What a travesty. As someone who uploads much more than I download, I'd find that a huge letdown. I mean, I'd be happy with a 50/500 plan...

FiOS providers in this area are known to lure customers away from competitors with high speeds and low prices, then drop one later. Or both, when they "accidentally" give you one third of the speed you paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    how it works with you guys, but if i manage to hit my download speed, my upload speed also seems to tank severely.
    Well, that's how TCP works, and also happens the other way around. If you tweak your window size and ACK frequency, you can improve this at the cost of adding some latency. And if you run Wireshark while using Google services, you'll see they've made some interesting tweaks to their network stack

As for the rest, agreed. We don't know what peering arrangements and fees are in place, but if they can give 1000/30, why is 500/500 or at least 900/100 so impossible. Then again, I remember when cablemodems were one-way and you needed a dial-up connection for the upload channel, so I'll take what I can get.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss37320
    Also, I watched the Azur Lane Bisoku Zenshin anime. Lots of funny moments, and Taihou and Belfast got their own episodes, so I'll count it as a win.

No one, not even Akagi, deserves the commander more than Taihou
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss37320

That moment when you think you're going to get laid, but get massive cranial trauma followed by involuntary defecation and death instead. Could happen to anyone.
    Thanks

Page 343 of 343 FirstFirst ... 243293333341342343