+ Reply to Thread
Page 312 of 392 FirstFirst ... 212262302310311312313314322362 ... LastLast
Results 4,666 to 4,680 of 5872

Thread: The Chat/Spam Thread

While I mostly agree with what you said, the thing is that it's quite a bit more contagious than the flu. Boosting personal immunity is indeed a good way to go. Using common sense and having some personal hygiene is great (though seems to be alien to some people?!). We definitely can't go in lockdown every single year since this won't stop in the next few weeks.
    But people aren't dying because it's airborne cancer or whatever, it's because hospitals are getting overrun with cases and can't keep up. They've not lied to us about it.
    A lot of older people die to the flu every single year. I feel like a lot of these measures are being taken to especially protect that group. (even though they seem to be the ones that care least about it)

Anyway, yes to what you're saying, but also I feel like the masses hardly respond to moderate measures. We literally tried that here, as a result people were having huge parties the day before the measurements were gonna start and the following days people were going over the borders because those countries didn't have any measures yet.
    We're actually seeing a strong increase these last few days because of those actions that people took. The measures aren't to protect the healthy people with strong immune systems, it's to protect all of those people that aren't that lucky.

Let's also not forget we're talking about common sense in a mass of people here while that very same mass just bought years and years worth of toilet paper, leaving none for others.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 22.03.20 at 12:59.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy
    the thing is that it's quite a bit more contagious than the flu.
    social distancing and (self) isolation are useful to buy time for the crowded (and mostly ill prepared) hospitals, but there is no need to overreact and create a police state in the process
    the virus is only somewhat slowed down but eventually it will spread out anyways

according to the likes of Merkel, even before any widespread measures were applied, the publicly announced expectation or projection for example in germany was that around 70% of german people will become infected during the duration of this pandemic - in a similar statement by some mainstream experts the expectations for USA are around 100 million infected (roughly a third of their population)

We definitely can't go in lockdown every single year since this won't stop in the next few weeks.
    the economy will be devastated by the current extreme measures and new masses of impoverished people won't be able to lead a healthy lifestyle, which again paves the way for another round of hard-hitting effects by the next wave of (infectious) diseases

A lot of older people die to the flu every single year. I feel like a lot of these measures are being taken to especially protect that group.
    the masonry, Bill Gates, high ranked eugenicists, depopulation supporters, globalists and the like would disagree, to them these people are just 'useless eaters'
    the WHO have nothing to say about personal immunity in their recommendations for the public

they have only one recommendation: vaccines, applied as wide as possible, even forcefully - legally, the vaccine producing pharma giants have no obligations to list a detailed contents of their vaccines, no side effects are listed, they have no fear of law suits (any damages from law suits are paid by the government, ie. the tax payers), basically they can produce whatever garbage they want, securing certain profits regardless of the aftereffects, which is a recipe for disaster

people were having huge parties the day before the measurements were gonna start
    who was having these parties? a minority of careless individuals, which then got inflated by the media, searching for a convenient scapegoat to blame for the situation at hand

Let's also not forget we're talking about common sense in a mass of people here while that very same mass just bought years and years worth of toilet paper, leaving none for others.
    it is not strange to stock up with necessities during a time of crisis
    from what i noticed, this buying fever subsided after a week or so, after which the availability of merchandise improved sufficiently, even if not reaching the level prior to the beginning of the crisis
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    I woke up today. my bed was shaking. there was an earthquake in Croatia. 200 km away. My niece got up as well, and went straight to me, was scared a bit. Calmed her down Felt one aftershock as well.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

anon (23.03.20)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    It is somewhat Orwellian, not to mention the consequences that pausing most of the country will have on the economy (you can prepare and lessen the impact, but there'll still be an impact). But based on what we've seen from the virus so far, it's an exceptional measure for an exceptional event. Better play it safe for now, flatten the curve and all that.

My updated coronacrisis report:
    • There's been talk of extending the lockdown or even declaring a state of siege, but nothing has been confirmed so far. I could understand a small extension since the incubation period is said to be up to 14 days, but this can't go on forever, right?
    • Some people have been busted for ignoring it already, including one polician who also got fired for it.
    • Checkpoints on the city limits have been tightened.
    • Prepaid cell phone prices have been rolled back to November levels so that it's less hard for people to stay in touch. Oh, and the telecommunications regulator is asking people to minimize their Internet usage to avoid network saturation... but my anime and eroge torrents aren't going to seed themselves, and also ISPs are always advertising that they have the fastest speeds and the best infrastructure, this looks like a good opportunity to prove it.
    • Tomorrow, the government will announce a financial aid plan for small businesses and freelancer workers who are most affected by the lockdown; really welcome as far as I'm concerned, money is tight this month. Not yet known how we're supposed to sign up for it or receive the cash.

What a lovely day in Buenos Aires City! If rings of invisibility were real, I would equip one and go for a walk
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    My niece got up as well, and went straight to me, was scared a bit. Calmed her down
    Muuu, reading cute things like this makes me wish I'd had a little sister to grow up with and do the same for Although we don't have earthquakes here, thankfully.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (23.03.20)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by anon
    It is somewhat Orwellian
    its most certainly Orwellian, testing scenarios, preparing for future lockdowns
    according to some this is biological warfare on a global scale displayed

since the incubation period is said to be up to 14 days, but this can't go on forever, right?
    according to some official sources, they expect this to last up to 18 months - this could mean 3 waves of around 3-4 months each and a few months of break in between

the telecommunications regulator is asking people to minimize their Internet usage to avoid network saturation...
    overselling their capacities much?

the government will announce a financial aid plan for small businesses and freelancer workers who are most affected by the lockdown
    are they talking credits with delayed interest (debt scenario) or postponing certain taxes or temporarily eliminating certain taxes (least damaging scenario)?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    overselling their capacities much?
    Well, all providers oversell to some degree. Few customers are making calls or downloading 100% of the time. Planning for an scenario where everyone does would radically increase costs while bringing no benefit outside of exceptional cases like this or disaster events. My guess is that everything's okay for now, but they're advicing people to control usage in advance so that things will stay that way.

With that said, extreme overselling (the kind whose consequences are noticeable even under "normal" conditions) was the norm until mid-2009.

are they talking credits with delayed interest (debt scenario) or postponing certain taxes or temporarily eliminating certain taxes (least damaging scenario)?
    Apparently it'll be a lump sum, paid once a month for at least the following two months, to those who apply and meet the requirements (in this case, small businesses in the lowest tax tier and those who live off unreported employment). Most welfare programs in this country work that way. I'm not sure how you'll be supposed to prove unreported employment; I suppose they will accept everyone who claims it unless they have evidence to the contrary, e.g. your name listed on the payroll somewhere or tax/social security payments made in the last X months. I don't know what the sum will be either, but I'm estimating between 150 and 200 USD. Will post more details as they become available.

Oh, and for the time being, utilities, TV and Internet cannot be cut off for non-payment (presidential decree), so I can still be with you all
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Muuu, reading cute things like this makes me wish I'd had a little sister to grow up with and do the same for Although we don't have earthquakes here, thankfully.
    You should see when I put her to bed sometimes, first a bedtime story to read, then lights off, we talk for 5 minutes in the dark (keeps asking questions), then I hold her hand until she falls asleep. When she starts kinda snoring I know she's out!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    You should see when I put her to bed sometimes, first a bedtime story to read, then lights off, we talk for 5 minutes in the dark (keeps asking questions), then I hold her hand until she falls asleep. When she starts kinda snoring I know she's out!
    You're not helping my feelings any
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977

Trust me, as cute as she can be, she can be a pain in the ass as well
    Thanks

Basically same thing going on here. People staying at home get 70% of their usual paycheck. This is going to get costly real fast. People also don't have to pay rent, so it really sucks for older people in retirement homes that use that rent money to help pay for it.
    We also got some border control that's sending people back that don't have to be here. (e.g. some that live close to the border come over for groceries or to get gas)

I also just got notified my close colleague took off of work because he's got Corona. Darn!

Anyway, all this cute talk has got me feeling like a bad big sister
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    I also just got notified my close colleague took off of work because he's got Corona. Darn!
    Wow, it sounds like you just dodged a bullet there.

Stay safe, oneesama
    Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

Sazzy (03.04.20)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    I rewatched The Devil's Advocate yesterday.

Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

alpacino (18.04.20)

Great choice! I love that movie.
    I binged Tiger King yesterday. Oh Lord!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Great choice! I love that movie.
    Superb acting from Al Pacino. He steals every scene he's in. Overdoes it a bit during the ending (last 20 minutes), but it may be justified given the big reveal. And the ending itself... it's not clear whether the events were just a dream, actually occurred but were reversed, or will occur with Milton simply trying a different plan until he succeeds.

Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

alpacino (18.04.20)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 312 of 392 FirstFirst ... 212262302310311312313314322362 ... LastLast