I hope you washed the figurative and literal shit out of that thing though
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Two thorough washings with detergent and ammonia I have experience picking things up from the street (remember http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthread.php?t=21905?). Also, that's a phrase that will never be used against me in any way.

Last year I found a DSL router in this same fashion. One cleaning and firmware reset later it was (almost) brand new. I ended up installing it as an access point for one of my customers, and since it cost me nothing it was pure profit Apparently it still works and has very good range.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Hahaha nice, that's a good find What's your best score so far?

Also, the downtime a while ago got me worried idk how to contact any of you without this forum :( If anyone wants to trade discords, pm me
    Last edited by Sazzy; 11.01.20 at 21:44.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Hahaha nice, that's a good find What's your best score so far?
    I have found plenty of things - computers, hardware, some phones, a baby monitor - but I can't think of a particular item that would take the cake... well, there's this backpack I still use sometimes, it was absolutely brand new at the time. Guess the owner just didn't want it.

Also, the downtime a while ago got me worried idk how to contact any of you without this forum :( If anyone wants to trade discords, pm me
    Discord's privacy policy sucks I'm out of the loop with chat apps, but am looking at Telegram and Ricochet.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    I'm on Discord @Sazzy
    Thanks

I don't like stuff that makes me enter my phone number, though. Especially if the desktop client makes me link things up to my phone and uses my phone's bandwidth to transfer it.. Telegram would be a no brainer for me if I didn't need a phone number for it. I don't feel comfortable with having people on there that I don't see daily irl (though I wouldn't mind having y'all on it :) )

While I agree discord's policy isn't the greatest, the downfall of chat apps is when none of your friends use it and basically all of my friends went from Google Hangouts to either whatsapp or discord. Even though whatsapp is encrypted, it's also facebook so I'm not a fan either. As far as telegram goes, I literally know no one irl that uses it. Since we often do group chats and private streams, discord all in all is pretty great. But yeah, that policy...

@Yoco; feel free to pm me your username (:
    Last edited by Sazzy; 12.01.20 at 16:21.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    I don't like stuff that makes me enter my phone number, though. Especially if the desktop client makes me link things up to my phone and uses my phone's bandwidth to transfer it.. Telegram would be a no brainer for me if I didn't need a phone number for it.
    https://www.go-text.me/

Apparently, this app gives you an exclusive US number you can send and receive SMS and calls with, and a lot of people use it to avoid giving their real one. However, the fact no clues exist as to who's behind the service or what their profit model is screams honeypot to me. I suppose you could use the app only when necessary, through Orbot and feeding it fake data, but that begs the question, who will want to use a workaround for a workaround to chat securely? And the answer is: yes. But until Signal or Telegram allow e-mail signup or Ricochet, Tox or Matrix go mainstream, this isn't going to change.

Even though whatsapp is encrypted, it's also facebook so I'm not a fan either.
    You shouldn't be. Closed-source unaudited encryption from a US corporation that collaborates with intelligence agencies, and whose business model revolves around collecting and selling people's data, doesn't inspire a lot of trust.

Then again, I use Windows, so I can't cast the first stone here. Stallman is probably the only person that could
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

Sazzy (13.01.20)

Since I'm coming from hangouts and google already has my stuff, I could just as well create a google voice account. I believe those are now open for everyone and not just US. It's not ideal, but it is a nice workaround for telegram.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Better the devil you know than the devil you don't
    Thanks

So after trying TextMe, I first had to set up a Canadian (or US) VPN to be able to get a free number. If you create your account from another country, you have to pay for your number. Having finally gotten a free number and being able to receive texts, I try to sign up to Telegram. Turns out TextMe is "smart" enough to parse messages like those from Telegram, Signal and even whatsapp, and force you to buy the number for at least a week before being able to read the message. This sucks lol. Might as well just get a burner sim card at this point, it'll be cheaper and you'll be guaranteed to keep that number and less people looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Better the devil you know than the devil you don't
    Well having an android phone, google already knows my number So yeah, definitely.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 15.01.20 at 18:46.
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

anon (16.01.20)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    So after trying TextMe, I first had to set up a Canadian (or US) VPN to be able to get a free number. If you create your account from another country, you have to pay for your number.
    Sneaky, but workable.

Having finally gotten a free number and being able to receive texts, I try to sign up to Telegram. Turns out TextMe is "smart" enough to parse messages like those from Telegram, Signal and even whatsapp, and force you to buy the number for at least a week before being able to read the message.
    Sneakier, and would basically render this useless for our purposes Isn't there an option to get the code as a audio call instead of a message? Do they filter that too?

Might as well just get a burner sim card at this point
    I think that's the best choice (perhaps depending on how much of an adversary the phone company is for you), but of course it's good to have extra options.
    Thanks

I've actually not tried that yet! I think they do have that. I'll try it later!
    Also, apparently burner sims are hard to get in some countries and you might have to go to a neighboring one.

Anyway, if you want to cut out the phone company too, you might need to get a burner phone too. Then only turn it on far away from your home, just in case. Probably should buy the phone with cash. Preferably in a store without cameras.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 17.01.20 at 19:19.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    I've actually not tried that yet! I think they do have that. I'll try it later!
    Maybe we can beat the system!

Also, apparently burner sims are hard to get in some countries and you might have to go to a neighboring one.
    BRB, going to Paraguay for a shopping trip

Nah, here you can get them easily; they have to be registered to be used, but the process is a joke and easily workable with fake data. Tourists apparently have to send a picture of themselves holding passport or another ID

Anyway, if you want to cut out the phone company too, you might need to get a burner phone too. Then only turn it on far away from your home, just in case. Probably should buy the phone with cash. Preferably in a store without cameras.
    USB cellular modems would work just as well and also be cheaper, though I'm not sure how easy they are to obtain if you are to fulfill all those (valid) points.
    Thanks

Can usb modems receive txt messages?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    Yes, some of them can even make and receive voice calls. And since most have a MicroSD card slot, you can have mobile Internet and extroot in your OpenWrt router without using a hub
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 307 of 392 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357 ... LastLast