+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to use magnet links to start utorrent with option /recover in Firefox

Activity Longevity
    0/20 13/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss11

Lightbulb How to use magnet links to start utorrent with option /recover in Firefox

I can't figure out how to use magnet links to start utorrent with command line option /recover in Firefox.
    Can you?

utorrent command line option /recover
    /RECOVER will allow you to open up a second instance of µTorrent instead of its normal behavior where it simply activates the currently-running instance. In order to prevent possible problems, it is recommended that you create an encapsulated copy of µTorrent before opening it as a second instance, then create a shortcut for the encapsulated copy of the executable with the /RECOVER option. Remember that two applications cannot listen on the same port, so if you intend on having the second instance actually be a properly-working instance, you should set the second instance to listen on a different port, and forward that port as well.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    The question is, why would you want to do that? Each magnet link would open a new instance.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

kg27 (14.10.13)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 13/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss11

Cool How to use magnet links to start utorrent with option /recover in Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    The question is, why would you want to do that? Each magnet link would open a new instance.
    Thanks- I see. I didn't realize that. I always wondered why I would sometimes have two instances running. I thought they had a problem closing!

I use unmodded utorrent for private trackers and serenity, as stealth as possible, for public trackers to avoid additional ISP copyright infringement notifications. I am still nervous about been "seen" sharing in private trackers, but I don't want to get caught cheating either. Do you have a solution for that?

I often have utorrent and serenity running at the same time. I started using /recover to keep utorrent and serenity working separately with their own torrents and settings. Of course, they have their own program folders. My current solution is interesting but I'd like a better one. The application I switch to last, utorrent or serenity, is the one that opens the torrent or magnet link. Do you have a better solution?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Quote Originally Posted by kg27 View Post
    I use unmodded utorrent for private trackers and serenity, as stealth as possible, for public trackers to avoid additional ISP copyright infringement notifications. I am still nervous about been "seen" sharing in private trackers, but I don't want to get caught cheating either. Do you have a solution for that?
    Well, as my signature says, you can't have it all. If security is so important, you might want to buy a cheap seedbox or VPN (perhaps from a provider supporting anonymous payment methods), and do your torrenting through it.

I often have utorrent and serenity running at the same time. I started using /recover to keep utorrent and serenity working separately with their own torrents and settings. Of course, they have their own program folders. My current solution is interesting but I'd like a better one. The application I switch to last, utorrent or serenity, is the one that opens the torrent or magnet link. Do you have a better solution?
    For torrents, you could set an auto-load folder for one of the instances (this is in the settings), and drop your .torrent files there to automatically have them loaded. There is no workaround for magnet links that I know of... but surely adding them manually isn't a big setback.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

kg27 (15.10.13)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 13/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss11
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Well, as my signature says, you can't have it all. If security is so important, you might want to buy a cheap seedbox or VPN (perhaps from a provider supporting anonymous payment methods), and do your torrenting through it.

For torrents, you could set an auto-load folder for one of the instances (this is in the settings), and drop your .torrent files there to automatically have them loaded. There is no workaround for magnet links that I know of... but surely adding them manually isn't a big setback.
    Thanks- good idea. Another idea I like is using the RSS feed feature in utorrent for loading TV episodes.

I really like serenity and utorrent. They are the only clients I've ever used. Which is your favorite client?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Which is your favorite client?
    Most of my torrenting is done on a general-use laptop, so uTorrent. It's not as light as it used to be, but still smaller than most of if not all the competition.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

kg27 (15.10.13)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 13/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss11

Question 2 Qs

1. Is this as stealth as we can get with uSerenity? No-Upload option enabled and first 7 options checked except "Be Seeder", as shown in image below.
    My goal is to avoid additional ISP copyright infringement notifications with public tracker.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stealth.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	14375

2. I JUST noticed uSerenity sets label to RSS feed name when RSS feed is used to start download manually. Will "Default" profile still be used? (assuming there is no profile name that is same as RSS feed name.)
    BTW I love showrss.info feeds.
    Thanks!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    1. Is this as stealth as we can get with uSerenity? No-Upload option enabled and first 7 options checked except "Be Seeder", as shown in image below.
    Yes.

2. I JUST noticed uSerenity sets label to RSS feed name when RSS feed is used to start download manually. Will "Default" profile still be used?
    "No label or no label matching setting profile = default settings profile will be used"
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

kg27 (19.10.13)

+ Reply to Thread