+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DiskCryptor | TrueCrypt alternative

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410

Thumbs up DiskCryptor | TrueCrypt alternative

DiskCryptor is an open encryption solution that offers encryption of all disk partitions, including the system partition. The fact of openess goes in sharp contrast with the current situation, where most of the software with comparable functionality is completely proprieatary, which makes it unacceptable to use for protection of confidential data.

Originally DiskCryptor was conceived as a replacement for DriveCrypt Plus Pack and PGP Whole Disk Encryption (WDE). Now, however, the aim of the development of the project is to create the best product in its category. Moreover, in the future, considerable effort will be devoted to the creation of detailed documentation, explaining the internal mechanics of the program, which would be the best confirmation and demonstration of its security.
    Main Page/en - DiskCryptor wiki

I found this recently, and thought I'd share it here.

Pros and cons (as far as my experience goes):

• Faster than TrueCrypt.
    • Highly configurable boot loader.
    • Hotkey to instantly cause a BSOD is available.

• No support for containers, you can only encrypt partitions.
    • No rescue disk, you only have the option of backing up the disk header yourself.
    • No support for hidden operating systems.
    • Requires a reboot after installation.

That might sound like a lot of downsides, but if you don't need TC's advanced options, you might want to check DC out for its speed:

(Tests performed under the same hardware and usage conditions.)

Now, benchmarks do not accurately reflect real-world usage because hard drives are much slower than RAM, and the average user will not be constantly encrypting sequential blocks of data. But logically enough, any implementation that benchmarks significantly faster is also going to be so in reality, to some degree. There are more screenshots on the homepage; check out AES performance under processors with hardware acceleration.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

starforce (13.11.13)

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    this is no TrüCrypt alternative simply because it only runs on windows.
    also i'm not sure about the logic in this: "most of the software with comparable functionality is completely proprieatary, which makes it unacceptable to use for protection of confidential data." which has a typo btw
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    this is no TrueCrypt alternative simply because it only runs on windows.
    For Windows users it would be. Otherwise, you're correct.

also i'm not sure about the logic in this: "most of the software with comparable functionality is completely proprieatary, which makes it unacceptable to use for protection of confidential data." which has a typo btw
    He means an encryption program must be open-source so that everyone can potentially review the code and assure its reliability. With a closed-source solution, you never know if there's a backdoor in place, which would essentially render it useless.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    For Windows users it would be.
    sure, maybe we should add some prefixes for this subforum, too

He means an encryption program must be open-source so that everyone can potentially review the code and assure its reliability. With a closed-source solution, you never know if there's a backdoor in place, which would essentially render it useless.
    yep that are the classic pros and cons of open source stuff. of course it's nice to check the source and look for possible backdoors (although the number of people who actually do that might be low). on the other hand tho giving full insight also makes it possible to search the code not only for backdoors but also any sort of weakness which isn't possible to that extend in case of closed source programs.
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread