Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977

Lone Survivor

Release Date: December 27, 2013 (NY/LA; wide: Jan. 10)
    Studio: Universal Pictures
    Director: Peter Berg
    Screenwriter: Peter Berg
    Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Ben Foster, Emile Hirsch, Eric Bana
    Genre: Drama, War
    MPAA Rating: R (for strong bloody war violence and pervasive language)
    "Lone Survivor," starring Mark Wahlberg, tells the story of four Navy SEALs on an ill-fated covert mission to neutralize a high-level Taliban operative when they are ambushed by enemy forces in the Hindu Kush region of Afghanistan. Based on The New York Times bestseller, this story of heroism, courage and survival directed by Peter Berg ("Hancock," "Friday Night Lights") also stars Taylor Kitsch, Ben Foster, Emile Hirsch and Eric Bana. The film will be released by Universal Pictures on January 10, 2014.
    Lone Survivor - Trailer - YouTube
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (07.07.14)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    Really liked the movie! But after watching these type of movies (based on true events), I always wonder how much is actually true and how much is just simply made up!
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    this story of heroism, courage and survival
    its easy to play the hero when facing a much weaker enemy (basically goat herders, untrained small scattered force, not their profession), facing inferior weapons (old weaponry, little or no artillery/vehicles/facilities/aircraft, no advanced military networking/communication/deployment/overview/surveillance, no state-of-the-art next-gen military systems), and so on - in fact, heroism, courage and survival would fit the locals much better considering they have to figure out ways to successfully engage advanced enemies while limited to very primitive resources/solutions - but i guess, you won't see movies about that being made, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by yoco
    these type of movies (based on true events), I always wonder how much is actually true and how much is just simply made up!
    hollywood likes to use that true story label (based on, inspired by,...) as it draws more viewers, promises at least some level of truthfulness and makes it easier to push propaganda on the unsuspecting viewer, so i'd say the main event might have happened but the circumstances/details/dialogue/personalities are to a large extent either exaggerated or entirely fabricated to make the movie more interesting as well as in line with the promoted ideology (especially since this is a movie about a war that is still a major topic these days, let alone a controversial one)

anyways, i didn't find it particularly interesting, though some scenes were pretty (unintentionally) hilarious and obviously invented, might as well mention a funny comment i had in mind at the time of the viewing:

Quote Originally Posted by methought
    so fake, even the goat herding kids are there, playing a major role, they seem to be able to smell usa soldiers wherever they may go, must be them soldiers be using scented tp for their bungholes hehe
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

alpacino (09.07.14)

+ Reply to Thread