Thread: Adobe Photoshop and Creative Suite to become subscription-only

P2P Client
    Bangladesh Extreme Mod
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss196

Adobe Photoshop and Creative Suite to become subscription-only

Adobe is making a major move into the cloud. The company has just announced the next version of its flagship digital editing tools, Creative Suite, and for the first time the new products will only be available through the company's online subscription service. Adobe previously offered standalone editions of each product, which users could choose to keep or upgrade as new editions were released, but now the only way to receive major feature updates to the product series will be to remain subscribed to the $49.99 per month service.
    Do you think this was done to prevent piracy?

Adobe Photoshop and Creative Suite to become subscription-only products | The Verge
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (09.05.13)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    It sounds like it Brian. Piracy is rampant on the net, I am sure you know.

I guess to lock down piracy of this product, the creators/publishers/company still own the digital rights to this product. It seems that now a user doesn't own the the product like as before where there was such debate of having bought a product and hence with the purchase of said product, that person should now be able to do what they like with it. But now, the purchaser no longer owns the rights to what-ever they want with the product - deface it, give it as a gift, bug-it-up, what-ever, now the purchaser only owns the right to access it. Nothing more, I guess.

That's actually not a bad move.
    Last edited by SealLion; 08.05.13 at 21:45.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianBosworth
    Do you think this was done to prevent piracy?
    hehe, piracy is only an excuse, the intention is to severely limit access to their apps (heavy drm), increase profits (digital only, monthly subscription), spy on users (data mining, 3rd party info access), push the cloud agenda (users & computers becoming mere always-on-line & storage-less clients), etc. - similar behavior can be expected from other corporate players as well (regardless of their core industrial field)
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

hellman (09.05.13)

I don’t usually condone piracy, but I actually think that Adobe is better off just letting hobbyists and students use their products for free (or at least turning a blind eye to it) – those users will later help them maintain their near-monopoly status, when they graduate into the various creative industries, where the real profits are made.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread