Thread: USA makes it illegal to unlock cellphones

P2P Client
    Bangladesh Extreme Mod
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss196

USA makes it illegal to unlock cellphones

As of Saturday, unlocking a cellphone is against US law.

The process, which allows you to use your handset with a network other than the one you bought it from, has just become illegal again as part of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

Unlocking was formerly allowed under an exemption to the act, ABC News explains, but in October 2012 the the US Copyright Office and Library of Congress decided not to renew the clause and it expired on Jan. 26.

Now, you must obtain your carrier's permission to unlock your phone or face a potential fine of up to $2,500. Anyone found unlocking handsets for profit could be forced to pay up to $500,000 and may even go to jail, according to ABC.

That said, "it's not like police officers will come knocking on your door if you decide to unlock your cellphone," the New York Times assures. It's more likely suspected offenders will get warnings from phone companies.
    Unlocking a cellphone is now illegal in the US | GlobalPost
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (30.01.13) , SealLion (30.01.13) , ParamouR (29.01.13) , anon (26.01.13)

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss120
    They should have made it legal a long time ago, in my country all you have to do is walk up to any cell phone retailer and pay the price and you're set, it's good money for the sellers (i think an iPhone goes for around 150€ or something)
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    "Unofficial" unlocking is a lucrative business here, mostly because those venues don't ask too many questions about where the phones come from, if you know what I mean. Apparently the law says mobile carriers must unlock your equipment after the contract ends, if you ask them to, although I don't know if that works with a prepaid plan. I wonder if I could ask them to unlock the Nokia 1112 I got as a present in 2007...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773
    America badly needs to do something about the ignorance of their lawgivers. So you ban unlocking to stop a few people doing something illicit and fuck all over the rights of people who own their phones legally? Total absurdity
    Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Thanks

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    I agree, those lawmakers seem to work for the benefit of big corporations rather than for the people. They continue abusing and reducing their well being with stupid laws.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (30.01.13)

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss120
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I agree, those lawmakers seem to work for the benefit of big corporations rather than for the people. They continue abusing and reducing their well being with stupid laws.
    Seem to?... lol...
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    i'm surprised to see such a law while obama is in charge
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Instab, you know that's because Obama works for the big corporations. Not directly of course but indirectly via the corporate lobby groups that are crawling all over capital cities. The US is not immune to special interest lobby groups. These for-hire lobby groups working to represent either right-wing corporate interests or left-wing social/special interest groups are everywhere around the globe. Europe, North America, you name it. Laws like this are enacted to protect those who fear the loss of capital and desire the gain of corporate legal rights, an increase in profits, a want/need to satisfy their share-holders who themselves (and I wouldn't be surprised that once they look and consider the elemental raison d'etre) would nod their heads in approval. Their main interests is financial gain as well. The money pot trickles down so to speak.
    Last edited by SealLion; 30.01.13 at 07:12.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (30.01.13)

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    Instab, you know that's because Obama works for the big corporations. Not directly of course but indirectly via the corporate lobby groups that are crawling all over capital cities. The US is not immune to special interest lobby groups. These for-hire lobby groups working to represent either right-wing corporate interests or left-wing social/special interest groups are everywhere around the globe. Europe, North America, you name it. Laws like this are enacted to protect those who fear the loss of capital and desire the gain of corporate legal rights, an increase in profits, a want/need to satisfy their share-holders who themselves (and I wouldn't be surprised that once they look and consider the elemental raison d'etre) would nod their heads in approval. Their main interests is financial gain as well. The money pot trickles down so to speak.
    oh i'm well aware of that. what i'm surprised about is that obama plays along because that's quite different from how he sounds usually
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Ya. I see what you mean now, Instab. Maybe deep within the depths of Obama's conscience, Obama himself feels stretched one way by his conscience in which he is cognizant of corporate ethical issues not necessarily in accord to convention or ethos to what ordinary people like you and me might expect, and yet stretched the other way by the ties (read corporate sponsorships=political obligations), that got him where he is now.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Instab
    what i'm surprised about is that obama plays along because that's quite different from how he sounds usually
    when reading your previous comment, i thought you were joking...now i know it

Quote Originally Posted by SealLion
    Maybe deep within the depths of Obama's conscience, Obama himself feels stretched one way by his conscience
    don't count on it (besides, humans don't seem to have a problem with living in denial), he didn't arrive at the presidential position because he has broad ethical considerations, his indoctrination/preparation/education/grooming is deeply embedded & hard as a rock, so he most likely actually believes that his actions are the right/necessary ones (casualties of any kind are interpreted as collateral damage, as sacrifices for the 'greater good') - even if for some strange reason he might start having doubts/questions, there are more than enough advisers to 'set him straight' or in the worst case scenario, he is simply left out of the loop, getting information on a need-to-know basis, so there are no loose ends regarding the decision-making process regardless of who occupies the oval office, ie. he is not there to really change things, but to perpetuate them (via new packaging, among other methods)

a president is not much more than a puppet, he has to look good/confident/serious/active/busy to the public (PR), sign pre-arranged documents handed to him by the advisers, discuss pre-defined strategies & options, get familiar with these, memorize what to do, who his allies & opponents are and thats about it, any more advanced/in-depth role depends on his personal abilities to handle it & his dedication 'to the cause', though this is probably avoided as it endangers the system's compartmentalization defense against major leaks/liabilities
    Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (01.02.13)

+ Reply to Thread