Thread: How to Choose A New Android Device

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773

Arrow How to Choose A New Android Device

Android phones come in many different models and specifications. Most of the time, it is limited by what your wireless carrier provides. Even within the that bunch of phones, there's still a wide variety to choose from.

When choosing a phone, knowing where and how to start researching the differences in the devices can be intimidating process. Starting with important characteristics that are specific to your needs is a great way to thin the herd a little. Here are some possible places to start narrowing down your search.

Size

Size of the phone actually makes a big difference. Depending on how you use the phone, the size of the phone can greatly determine whether you will like it or not. For example, if you often text one-handed, a phone with a larger screen will not go well for you. In this case, its good to get a device with size that you can hold on to comfortably.

Processor

What tasks do you want to do on the phone will greatly determine what speed processor you need. There are phones with single core processors, dual core and now many newer models are coming with a quad core processor. Something many people don’t realize when choosing a phone is the processor speed handles more of the on phone tasks vs. the download speed. What I mean is if you are listening to music, send text messages and take pictures all at the same time, the phone is much less likely to bog down with a better processor.

How much storage do you need?

Some of the newer devices, come with as much as 64 GB of onboard storage with the option to add an additional 64 GB via a microSD card. If you’re the type of person who likes to store a lot of movies on their device, or like to take your music library with you, Having a lot of storage space would benefit you. However, if you prefer to stream media or use a lot of cloud storage applications such as Google drive or Dropbox to store documents and have your images instantly uploaded, you wouldn’t need as much internal memory. One of the devices which doesn’t allow an external microSD card, may be a good choice.

What features are most important to you?

Choosing a device with the features that are most important to you, is also a great way to shop for phone. For example if you use the camera a lot, you definitely want to go with an Android phone with a higher megapixel camera and possibly a device with a little bit faster processor for shooting and potentially editing video. A certain group of people prefer a slide out keyboard and this might affect your decision when selecting phone.

Can it be rooted?

Knowing right off the bat that the phone can be rooted on the first day, or there are plenty of third-party support for ROMs is very important. Some companies such as HTC and some Motorola devices make the process a little bit easier to root. A good resource for the most up-to-date rooting information is the XDA forum.

OS updates

For those of you who do not like to route your phone, choosing a manufacturer that has faster upgrades to the operating system might be a good place to start. The Google Nexus devices are always the first to get an OS update.

Final thoughts

In the end, knowing what features are important to you in your new phone will make it much much easier to help you settle on the right device for you. Going into a store is a more educated consumer will make the purchase process a lot less intimidating.

What features do you look for in new Android device?

Source: How to Choose A New Android Device
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	choose-android-model-intro.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	13608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	choose-android-model-processor.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	13609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	choose-android-model-storage.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	13610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	choose-android-model-xda.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	13611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	choose-android-model-3-nexus.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	13612  

Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

anon (30.09.12) , yoco (29.09.12)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    Before I bought my SGS2 I didn't know much about Android, I just knew it's better than Nokia's Symbian, and that I must have it!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    2/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss837
    If you're considering to buy a new phone, Ill advice you to wait for the next Nexus. Fast updates, good hardware...oh yeah, wait for the LTE version of the phone.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Me is planning to buy a Chinese tablet to see what the fuss is about.

•Operating system: Android 2.2.
    •CPU: VIA8650 800MHz.
    •RAM: 256MB DDR2.
    •NAND flash: 2GB.
    •7" touch screen 16:9 / resolution: 800 x 480.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773
    Quote Originally Posted by C3PO View Post
    If you're considering to buy a new phone, Ill advice you to wait for the next Nexus. Fast updates, good hardware...oh yeah, wait for the LTE version of the phone.
    Only if it happen to release on your country. Like before in some countries Samsung/Google decided to just skip selling S_Nexus, whereby consumers were left with buying from other countries and neither the warranty was applicable

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Anon its useless to buy such cheap tablet they just happen to die faster and suck in performance. If I were you I wouldn't go for that.
    Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

anon (15.10.12)

P2P Client
    uTorrent 2.2.1
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss131
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    No, please don't. It's like buying an iPod 1st Gen to see "what the fuss is about" with Apple. That experience will shock you and make you hate the platform. Get a current device, preferably a dual core or higher, something with at least 512MB RAM also. Something like the Nexus 7 which is quite cheap, will be a perfect indicator as to where Android is right now.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

anon (15.10.12)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Thank you both for the advice. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money to spend on something like a tablet right now (I think I've said these words before). The attractive of Shanzhai electronics is that they're way more accessible than the real thing, and deliver acceptable performance - of course, in the long run, you tend to get what you pay for.

Anyway, I've rethought it since writing that post, and think I'm OK with my current netbook and phone.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    uTorrent 2.2.1
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss131
    Trust me, Android 2.2 on 800MHz and 256MB ram? Nightmare.

Anything below Android 4 is slow, buggy and a general pain to use.

No point in wasting your money, save it up, use what you have and when you get enough, spend it on something quality.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss11
    OS version is also important for a buyer
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread