+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Disable Annoying Things in Windows 7

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Yes. MSConfig or CCLeaner as you may all be aware also has this convenience built into as well. The good thing that I find about CCLeaner is that it doesn't prompt the user to reboot each and every single darn time you configure something through MSConfig normally would. Now the only thing that, that program would need next in my mind is to allow the user to alter the boot.ini file within it. But as you know you can do this manually yourself via notepad program. Very easy to do as well.

Also, yoco. Have you considered defragging your registry?? There are some good (and some bad too of/c) programs out there to help you do that. It's reccomended that you do a reg defrag as equally as defragging your HDD.

One other thing that I just thought of and that is you may also want to consider, if you haven't already, disable some unnecessary services. One service that you could disable is your Windows firewall. You don't need Windows firewall if you have a 3rd party software firewall program installed. Cardspace too if your not using that service. Having all these (and others) services takes a lot of boot up/boot down time from your computer. If you haven't yet disabled some unneeded services, you may want to consider looking into such matters.
    Last edited by SealLion; 07.09.12 at 01:15.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (07.09.12)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7978
    All startups I don't need are disabled by TuneUp Utilities 2012. And I defragg registry a few times a month. The thing is, when this laptop was bought it had a lot of HP stuff already on and I didn't want to remove anything cuz I don't know if it's important or not!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    The thing is, when this laptop was bought it had a lot of HP stuff already on and I didn't want to remove anything cuz I don't know if it's important or not!
    I removed all from my laptop (not a HP though). It shouldn't give any problems. If you don't feel comfy with it, check the HP site. Normally you can download these things there. You can then try removing it, and if it was necessary, you can download it again from the site.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

P2P Client
    μTorrent 2.2.1
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss56
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    I removed all from my laptop (not a HP though). It shouldn't give any problems. If you don't feel comfy with it, check the HP site. Normally you can download these things there. You can then try removing it, and if it was necessary, you can download it again from the site.
    I think it's even better to install a fresh copy of Windows so Acer, HP etc crapware stuff won't appear...the only problem is to get the drivers for your laptop model, but this can be done by using a drivers downloader or so...
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39473
    Preinstalled OSes tend to be filled with crap. I nearly fainted when I opened the task manager after getting my then brand-new netbook.

I'd recommend a reinstall. As Sazzy said above, you can get all the important programs from the Internet - a simple search for my laptop's model name took me to a site where all drivers and the Intel program to make Fn keys work can be found.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

... don't have the brains as I'm too dumb!
    Nobody is dumb. Ever! Just lack of confidence.

I'm pretty sure these programmers know what they're doing :)
    True but it will be a lot safer if we'd use our minds when where using software of this type.

Still safer than actually altering the explorer shell, I guess.
    It is. 100% safer.

Regtweaks can cause that too, as far as i know.
    Yes but it won't cause them the moment you apply them. On first boot you'll probably see something.

Speaking for myself only, I've actually been working at altering the registry to make this PC a bit quicker in boot time and booting down as well as other things that I find are completely unnecesary for the day to day functions that I do with it. And as such, reducing the registry is another thing that I also look at.
    You can't clean the registry as you'd think. When install windows the registry is defragmented (proper term: contiguous form). When installing stuff or tweaking windows or doing anything in windows, the registry becomes fragmented.
    Contiguous: __________________
    Fragmented: ---___-------_---__

You clean the registry by removing keys and values but you will never reduce it's size. The size will be reduced only when you export the contents of a HIVE into a fresh new HIVE. Only then the registry HIVES are reduced and are also defragmented. So, in order to defragment you'll need the HIVE recreated. Very important.
    Two problems:
    1. you can't do this within windows
    2. permissions you have to take care of. If you try to export, you'll probably remove it's permission settings. Which, in turn will make the system vulnerable and unstable.

Most if not all of the registry has to boot up with the computer so in even reducing the registry by 1/2% (unnecessary setting, for example) is good for me. I know it doesn't sound like a whole lot and it probably isn't. But for me it's something.
    You reduce the registry but not its size and it will CONTINUE to boot slowly.

The fastest way the regain some performance would be to create a new user and removing yours.
    Creating a new user -> new user hive -> seems like fresh windows. It will boot very fast IF windows was not damadged.

The user registry HIVE is located at C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME
    If it has a HUGE size then that is the culprit. As an example, I have 2.7MB.

If you all would try a suggestion of mine, I would recomend:
    • downloading windows performance toolkit (WPT)
    • open a command prompt and type xbootmgr.exe -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot

This would be the hardest way to regain performance. It will restart the PC 6 times so...
    It benchmarks the slow services and drivers and tries to set them 'inline' with the faster processes.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

anon (07.09.12) , SealLion (07.09.12)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Most of the stuff that you mentioned above, Master Razor I did not know off. I had no idea that when actually removing keys that it does not necessarily reduce the size. So basically, your saying that when deleting reg values that have no connection to anything (being prudent in such actions of course) such actions neither reduce it's size nor make it boot faster as a consequence??

I still don't understand though. In reducing some parts of the hive how does it boot more slowly?? It sounds almost counter-intuitive. You would think that less would mean faster boot up times as there are fewer reg files within the hives that the machine has to look while booting up.
    Last edited by SealLion; 07.09.12 at 22:06.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

So basically, your saying that when deleting reg values that have no connection to anything (being prudent in such actions of course) such actions neither reduce it's size nor make it boot faster as a consequence??
    That is correct.

In reducing some parts of the hive how does it boot more slowly?? It sounds almost counter-intuitive.
    It is slow because the HIVE is not contiguous. Bits and pieces of information are everywhere when it is fragmented.

You would think that less would mean faster boot up times as there are fewer reg files within the hives that the machine has to look while booting up.
    Fewer yes but also many gaps.

It is just like a hard drive: When it gets fragmented, bits and pieces of files are shattered everywhere. It takes time to read files and it takes double to write new files. This is because free space is also fragmented. It will look for a free slot to store files. If I have a gap of 500KB and I'm moving file that has 700KB then that space will not be used now. It is sort of the same with he registry only a bit more complex.

How is it faster?
    A) keeping all useless keys and values in order to maintain its contiguous state
    OR
    B) removing useless values and keys so that the registry becomes more fragmented and have the same size

Logic...

This is why I told you many times but one listens to me. Lay off the cleaners and tweakers. It will do you only harm.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 07.09.12 at 22:46.
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (09.09.12)

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    It is slow because the HIVE is not contiguous. Bits and pieces of information are everywhere when it is fragmented.
    Don't people have SSD's these days anyway?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39473
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    Don't people have SSD's these days anyway?
    I have IDE hard drives.
    Thanks

So basically, your saying that when deleting reg values that have no connection to anything (being prudent in such actions of course) such actions neither reduce it's size nor make it boot faster as a consequence??
    I think I found a way to reduce the size but I am not 100% sure. More testing is required.
    So, I'm thinking you remove all the useless entries you find and then:
    1. in the registry editor select the HIVE you want to shrink, click on file -> export -> select as registry hive
    2. replace the file using a live cd of some sort, replace the HIVE in its original location. Either Users\username or Windows\System32\Config

See how much it has been reduced. If it was reduced by more than 2% percent then it worked.

This is just theory. I'll try it sometime.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39473
    ERUNT and NTREGOPT

NTREGOPT is what I've always used to defragment the registry - although I don't know if it operates on the principle you mention.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7978
    Here are two pictures from TuneUp Utilities. First one is a startup programs that are disabled and some that I don't know if I should disable them.

And the second is also a disabled/enabled programs and how they impact the system.

And if I open up Task Manager there's always about 95 processes running.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    And if I open up Task Manager there's always about 95 processes running.
    95 is a lot. Even with chrome open (12 processes atm) I only have 62 processes running...
    Thanks

1. Why do you install catalyst control center? Do you actually configure the video card?
    You could only install the driver.
    2. DelayedAppCenter is part of HP wireless. DIsable and check if any wireless hardware is still working. If not, you can enable it when needed.
    3. LOL Replay is Personal preference. Your choice.
    4. PowerISo can be started manually when needed.
    5. Malwarebytes I assume you have the paid license. If so, you should keep it.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast