P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581

Google to include people's Gmail in search results

Google is really getting on my nerves:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Google is creating an information bridge between its influential Internet search engine and its widely used Gmail service in its latest attempt to deliver more personal responses more quickly.

The experimental feature unveiled Wednesday will enable Google's search engine to mine the correspondence stored within a user's Gmail account for any data tied to a search request. For example, a query containing the word "Amazon" would pull emails with shipping information sent by the online retailer.(...)

In the process, Google is hoping Web surfers will have even more reasons to use its dominant search engine, which already processes more than 100 billion requests every month.

As surfer, I now have more reasons to use startpage instead of google, and other webmail services instead of gmail.

Google to include people's Gmail in search results - Yahoo! News
    Primo Avulso Non Deficit Alter
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (10.08.12) , slikrapid (10.08.12) , Mihai (09.08.12)

P2P Client
    WaffleCheat v1.95 build 19928
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1509
    Well it depends. You already know they know everything about you from your emails and your searches so what harm could this do? If you detest the lack of privacy then you should not use anything from google at all.
    What does a scene tracker tell to a general tracker?
    You're so 5 minutes ago...

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    The experimental feature unveiled Wednesday will enable Google's search engine to mine the correspondence stored within a user's Gmail account for any data tied to a search request. For example, a query containing the word "Amazon" would pull emails with shipping information sent by the online retailer.
    If this means they're going to add results from your e-mail account when you do a regular search, I don't see what the problem is. They already knew what you're looking for, anyway.

PS: I wish Startpage's results were more accurate
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihai View Post
    Well it depends. You already know they know everything about you from your emails and your searches
    Not exactly, because it has been a progressive process. I was not aware of that when I signed up the first time in my email account in 2004/2005 after an invite. Would I have been aware of all that, I surely didn't have signed up.

If you detest the lack of privacy then you should not use anything from google at all.
    Now, so I do, and I progressively divorce from Google. The problem is, I have no mean to force Google to entirely wipe the private datas it already knows.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    If this means they're going to add results from your e-mail account when you do a regular search, I don't see what the problem is. They already knew what you're looking for, anyway.
    For me the problem lies in linking all my search results through Google to my Gmail account.
    Last edited by Renk; 10.08.12 at 01:13.
    Primo Avulso Non Deficit Alter
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by Renk
    Google is really getting on my nerves:
    that was to be expected as soon as google started spreading its tentacles towards whatever field/application it could imagine, which still isn't enough as more and more is being desired, until they either burst like a bubble or directly/indirectly devour/destroy whatever crosses their path - ofc such monstrous/oversized organizations/corporations eventually become the end-user's worst nightmare (whether they know it or not, whether they actually experienced it or not), taking full advantage of their favorable position in order to thoroughly exploit anything having some value, using all means necessary to accomplish their goals, all the while pretending to be 'your friend', trying to provide the best possible 'service', doing public 'charity' work and whatnot is required to keep a pristine PR image, because they know that in the current society 'image is king' as not many will bother to even scratch the shiny surface, let alone dig deeper than that

@article:

Although Google has a commanding lead in Internet search, it remains worried about the threat posed by social networking services such as Facebook Inc. As social networks have made it easier to share information online, the Web is starting to revolve more around people than the keywords and links that Google's search engine.
    as said before, having a 'lead' is not enough, even 100% isn't, since it could at any point in time get reduced to 99,999%
    facebook is just another giant like google, hence the comment above applies to them as well
    for the 'giants' or those aspiring to become one, it was never about keywords or links or products or whathaveyou, its about having control/influence/power over people (customers & potential ones) and their decision-making

Google has been trying to adapt by building more personal services
    poor google, eh? now they have to do it because of the competition - its simply a good excuse to roll-it-out as something in-line with current accepted trends

Google is treading carefully as it hooks Gmail up to its Internet search engine.
    lol, this only means they are being careful regarding what is publicly known about their data manipulation(s)

Google is also willing to display information from other email service in its main search results. The gesture could avoid spurring additional complaints about Google abusing its position as the Internet's search leader to favor its other services. That issue is the focal point of an antitrust investigation by antitrust regulators in the U.S. and Europe.
    notice the misdirection/misinterpretation again...just give them more personal data and it will even help with antitrust efforts roflmao (not to mention that these so-called efforts are a farce anyways)

Ultimately, Google hopes to know enough about each of its users so it can answer their questions with the precision and insight of the artificial intelligence that so far has been the stuff of science fiction.
    the thing is, a search engine doesn't need to know anything about the users in order to answer their questions, its purpose is to provide results based on entered keywords, then it is up to the user to decide what to do with the results, unless google creators are imagining how their engine will know the user better than he knows himself or that users desperately need a guiding/helping/parenting hand from the big AI brother who is going to competently guide their otherwise helpless/incompetent/confused/weak/victimized personalities through this dangerous place called teh internetz

as for the rest of that SF nonsense, interestingly enough, 'artificial intelligence' is neither artificial (its simply human-made) nor intelligent (has no 'own' intelligence, its simply programmed code), the mentioned 'precision' are mere probabilities and 'insight' is just (taken out of) a large database of approved/harmonized data - i'm afraid the future HAL or google-bot will need something more like a miracle in order to start having some actual (own) insights, as opposed to a mere slap on its futuristic infantile 'bottom'
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

Mihai (10.08.12) , Renk (10.08.12)

+ Reply to Thread