+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SEARCHING: script or program that password protects opening of Firefox.

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

SEARCHING: script or program that password protects opening of Firefox.

Hi: I am looking for a fairly strong script or program that can open firefox browser via a password. The program or script should prevent a person from opening firefox through Safe Mode. The Safe Mode start up of firefox should also prevent firefox from opening up without a password prompt. The script itself should basically protect the browsers profile.

There is an extension available for this. It's located here:

However, I think that extension can easily be bypassed by deletion so this isn't really suitable. There might be other ways that this extension could be by-passed, though at the moment, I can't think of any. If you can think of any, post here and such a script that I'm searching for should not be easily altered by a 2nd party. The script itself could be encrypted thus preventing unnecessary persons from accessibility with small programs such as the Scintilla's editor to use an example. http://www.scintilla.org/

The script should or preferably could automatically start up firefox itself after the password prompt has been successfully put in.

Also, there should be no logging of this script.
    It should also protect the browser's cache.
    Last edited by SealLion; 29.07.12 at 03:41.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss64
    well i did something at my work ...like this ...u can make small program via VB6 to open firefox with password like for example :
    put this at command button in vb :

if text1.text = "username" and text2.text = "mypassword" then
    shell "C:\programfiles\mozilla\firefox\firefox1.exe"
    end if
    end sub

save it as .exe with name firefox ..and ofcourse after u enhance it with some graphics to look cool with vb like colors and etc..

change the real firefox.exe to firefox1.exe the one we will call..and once the user open firefox from desktop it will prompt ur software ..and once u enter user name and password it will call the real firefox ..and no one knows
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    9/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39454
    ^ That would hardly be secure.

I think installing portable Firefox on a virtual TrueCrypt drive and running it from there, unmounting the drive when you've finished browsing, would provide an adequate solution.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (05.08.12)

P2P Client
    Vuze
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss64
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    ^ That would hardly be secure.

I think installing portable Firefox on a virtual TrueCrypt drive and running it from there, unmounting the drive when you've finished browsing, would provide an adequate solution.
    thats another good idea ..if u can do a hotspot server it would be very useful too :)
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Bangladesh Extreme Mod
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss196
    SealLion, you can use Andrasoft. I don't know what operating system that you're using, but this should work on most versions of Windows. There are a number of other programs that will probably work, but there are usability issues on 64 bit systems. If this isn't what you are looking for, let me know.
    Last edited by BrianBosworth; 05.08.12 at 03:41.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (05.08.12)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by rebrov View Post

if text1.text = "username" and text2.text = "mypassword" then
    shell "C:\programfiles\mozilla\firefox\firefox1.exe"
    end if
    end sub

save it as .exe with name firefox ..and ofcourse after u enhance it with some graphics to look cool with vb like colors and etc..

change the real firefox.exe to firefox1.exe the one we will call..and once the user open firefox from desktop it will prompt ur software ..and once u enter user name and password it will call the real firefox ..and no one knows
    Sorry all for the late reply.
    I don't think this is suitable for what I"m looking for. It looks to my as if a person could still have acces via the Safe Mode in Firefox. For me that would not be acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post

I never thought of this but it's definitely an idea which I would consider. TrueCrypt is good but the thing about encryption is that all encryption can still be unencrypted. But for the average layman, trying to unencrypted a strong encrypted case/HDD isn't all that much of a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBosworth View Post
    SealLion, you can use Andrasoft. I don't know what operating system that you're using, but this should work on most versions of Windows. There are a number of other programs that will probably work, but there are usability issues on 64 bit systems. If this isn't what you are looking for, let me know.
    I"m gonna have to check this out over the next day or so.

EDIT: I wonder if this has the capability to encrypt the .exe file of the browser?? If it does I wonder if there would be null effects of trying to run the .exe file of Firefox?? Would a password prompt for opening the .exe file open up first with a follow up command for opening up the .exe?? I don't know and as a result I"m going to check into this. Thanks Brian. :)
    Last edited by SealLion; 05.08.12 at 05:42.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

BrianBosworth (05.08.12)

+ Reply to Thread