Poll: Best Allocation size for MicroSD card on Android phone?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Allocation size for MicroSD card on Android phone?

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss157

Question Best Allocation size for MicroSD card on Android phone?

What is best Allocation size for MicroSD card on Android phone?

I'm googling, and some people say that it is best to leave it to default. My Silicon Power MSD came formatted with 32k allocation size, but its default allocation size is 8k.

I understand that bigger allocation size wastes space, if I have 1kB file I need 8kB to store it with 8kB AS and 32kB with 32kB AS.
    I currently have almost 1000 files on card and in worst case I could be wasting 30MB which is not a big deal for 16GB MSD card.

I watched a movie on youtube where a guy states that setting AS to 32k is best as it speeds up phone booting and work (I believe that is because lower fragmentation, I don't think seek time has anything with it because its SD card), but wastes space as android should have tons of small files, but my MSD card has less than 1000.

What is the best option?
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773
    Smaller file distributions help if you have amply of small sized files, and bigger file distribution sizes help when you have big files.

Just leave it at the stock settings should do the job in most cases.
    Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss176
    i think bigger allocation size would be faster. also buy a higher class sd card, the class number is the minimum guaranteed write speed. the read speed is much higher.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

gu5t3r (07.06.12)

It does raise performance by having a higher allocation size BUT you'll be wasting space if you have many x byte or kilobyte files. Fragmentation is also increased.
    Don't even think about defragging it as you'll wear it out very rapidly, instead, do a format. The same applies when you notice the sd card is performing slowly.

Still, as cirulilu suggested, it would be wise to buy a high class sd-card as well. They make a lot of difference when used with HD recording devices and similar due to their high write speed.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss157
    I'm using 32k at the moment.
    When SD card becomes fragmented I back it up with Acronis, then I format SD card and restore files only (instead of whole disk/partition). In that way Acronis restores files one behind another and there is no fragmentation at all.
    I think it is better than defragmenting SD with PerfectDisk or Diskeeper, some files always stay fragmented (big ones). Acronis way, no fragmentation at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    It does raise performance by having a higher allocation size BUT you'll be wasting space if you have many x byte or kilobyte files. Fragmentation is also increased.
    Don't even think about defragging it as you'll wear it out very rapidly, instead, do a format. The same applies when you notice the sd card is performing slowly.

Still, as cirulilu suggested, it would be wise to buy a high class sd-card as well. They make a lot of difference when used with HD recording devices and similar due to their high write speed.
    Last edited by gu5t3r; 07.06.12 at 19:05.
    Thanks

When SD card becomes fragmented I back it up with Acronis, then I format SD card and restore files only (instead of whole disk/partition). In that way Acronis restores files one behind another and there is no fragmentation at all.
    A bit redundant, don't you think?
    Why not just copy all files to a directory on your partition and then paste them after format? Same thing, cheaper and faster.

I think it is better than defragmenting SD with PerfectDisk or Diskeeper, some files always stay fragmented (big ones). Acronis way, no fragmentation at all.
    You shouldn't defragment it in the first place.
    There is no way for a file to become fragmented just by moving it to a clean space.
    After a format there are no fragments. Acronis probably works because it locks the drive from the os while restoring the files.

When you say 'big files', what are we talking about? mkv's, custom iso's or what?
    Last edited by Master Razor; 07.06.12 at 19:58.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss157
    A bit redundant, don't you think?
    Why not just copy all files to a directory on your partition and then paste them after format? Same thing, cheaper and faster.
    Acronis preserves file creation, modification dates. You don't have to buy Acronis to use it, there are plenty of pirated version, new torrent on IPT with all latest Acronis software just popped out.

When you say 'big files', what are we talking about? mkv's, custom iso's or what?
    Garmin 2 GB Europe map. I have Nokia 5800 only for navigation. Garmin XT works faster if map files are not fragmented.
    It is 8GB card and I have All Europe on Ovi Maps and Garmin. After that there is 300MB of free space. PerfectDisk and Diskeeper always leave fragments in maps after updating. Acronis way works.

When creation, modification dates are not preserved something always messes up in system. Specially on Android.
    Last edited by gu5t3r; 07.06.12 at 20:12.
    Thanks

Acronis preserves file creation, modification dates.
    m$ robocopy does that too +ntfs acl +auditing info and owner. Need to know how to use it first, though.

After that there is 300MB of free space. PerfectDisk and Diskeeper always leave fragments in maps after updating.
    No defragmenter can shift files around on limited disk space. It is normal for it to leave some fragments.

I don't understand how do you update them.
    Let's see if I understand this (please correct me if it is wrong):
    1. you take a backup with acronis of your sd card
    2. you format the sd
    3. you restore the contents of the sd using acronis
    4. you replace your old map with new??

I'm thinking acronis will restore your old data. How are updating that 2gb map file? By manual replace?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss157
    I'm thinking acronis will restore your old data. How are updating that 2gb map file? By manual replace?
    I replace it with new map, usually larger. Map becomes fragmented because it doesn't fit in free space of old one.
    Then doing backup, format and restore.
    Last edited by gu5t3r; 08.06.12 at 00:29.
    Thanks

You stressing the hell out of that card.

You could try something like this:

Code:
    @echo off

set _targetdrv=E:

robocopy.exe /E /DCOPY:T /COPYALL %_targetdrv% C:\slut * >nul 2>&1

pause

robocopy.exe /E /DCOPY:T /COPYALL C:\slut %_targetdrv% * >nul 2>&1

exit
    This will copy all your files from E: (edit targetdrv with your drive letter) with their metadata to C:\slut (again, edit to suit). Here you'll replace the old map with the new.
    When the batch displays "press any key..." go to the drive and format it. When the format's done, type any key in the cmd window to copy the files back to the sd card.

That's it.

Then try it and see if it's working.
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

gu5t3r (08.06.12)

+ Reply to Thread