So would I, if I had the energy and time during the week
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39444
    After many weeks of not changing the thermal grease, I finally did today. I regret to inform it didn't do anything.

Curiously, when I turned my computer on yesterday, the fan ran slowly as it used to for years, then went back to full speed minutes later.

Do I need a new one? It's tough to find parts for a computer that's nearly a decade old.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss157
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    After many weeks of not changing the thermal grease, I finally did today. I regret to inform it didn't do anything.

Curiously, when I turned my computer on yesterday, the fan ran slowly as it used to for years, then went back to full speed minutes later.

Do I need a new one? It's tough to find parts for a computer that's nearly a decade old.
    sorry to hear that, don't know what could produce overheating if it isn't thermal grease or software...
    are you sure that it isn't operating system causing the problem?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39444
    Quote Originally Posted by gu5t3r View Post
    are you sure that it isn't operating system causing the problem?
    I guess I could try booting off a live CD or something to check that...

Thanks for all the help so far by the way, I appreciate it.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss157
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I guess I could try booting off a live CD or something to check that...

Thanks for all the help so far by the way, I appreciate it.
    np, report back when you do that...
    Thanks

If, while in the BIOS, the cpu fan runs slow and then fast then there not much to be said.
    Either one of your temperature sensors on that board is faulty and produces false temperatures or something is wrong with your fan's power cables. It might be a short circuit of something.

Try to move the cpu fan to another motherboard power fan pin and check and see if it still runs at maximum. Do this only if your cpu can run without a fan.

Did you apply the thermal paste correctly (not saying you didn't)? You should of used a quantity about the size of a grain of rice, placed in the middle of the cpu and then place the radiator, forcing the thermal compound to spread all over the surface. Once the radiator touched the paste, it should not be moved or lifted from it's place. Doing so will render the compound useless, and instead of lower temperature, it will actually increase it.
    Check also if your radiator has any scratches, surface stains or anything on the surface that is layed upon the cpu.

Also check if you removed the old thermal paste correctly. To be 100% sure you got rid of it, use only isopropyl alcohol and scrub it on both cpu and radiator surface.

It's unlikely to be caused by the fan itself but it could also be a possibility.
    Thanks

Any news on this? Did you have time to check it?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39444
    Nope; I do appreciate your input, but I didn't get around checking it yet. I'm aware of how moving the heatsink once it's placed is bad and I was careful not to do it, so maybe we can cross that out. Plugging the same fan on another motherboard is a good idea.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39444
    I finally solved this - by buying a new fan. For the low price of AR$50 my computer is now running (according ASUS Probe) at 34°C and ~3100 RPM. The noise is virtually inaudible compared with the BBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR that previously started when I turned the computer and lasted as long as it was on.

The hardest part was, in fact, trying to find a place that sold the actual fan. This processor was made in 2003 and uses socket A/462. I walked the Earth on my quest to find it but always got responses like "no, I'm afraid not", "that request killed me" or "damn, how old is your computer?". Until I was referred to some place in an office building where I might get it, and so was it.

You all gave good feedback when I was looking for solutions - I hope you don't feel like you wasted your time. since I just took the easiest path...
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

BrianBosworth (02.06.12) , gu5t3r (02.06.12)

P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150
    Isnt it usually the simplest solutions are the best?
    dont ban me just spank me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saebrtooth View Post
    Isnt it usually the simplest solutions are the best?
    Not always.
    In this particular case, anon spent 50$ for a fan which should not of cost that much in the first place. Socket A is very old and those that still have it, will charge a lot more than its worth.
    You still need to consider this: what if he had no money and needed to fix it?

It's just like in windows: I try to fix a system, then some 'nut' comes a long and says " do a format". You need to know why to be able to learn.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 02.06.12 at 18:25.
    Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

anon (02.06.12)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39444
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    Not always.
    In this particular case, anon spent 50$ for a fan which should not of cost that much in the first place. Socket A is very old and those that still have it, will charge a lot more than its worth.
    You still need to consider this: what if he had no money and needed to fix it?

It's just like in windows: I try to fix a system, then some 'nut' comes a long and says " do a format". You need to know why to be able to learn.
    Very true. That's why I felt cheap taking the easy but money-burning solution.

Do consider that the Argentine peso is severely devaluated... 50 peso is not more than 10 US dollars. And it's an original AMD fan with a copper base
    Thanks

Well, I'm glad to see your system is running top-notch again.
    I have a backup system (which I received as a gift) that uses socket A and is making a hell of a racket. I've been looking for a free cooler for sometime now. I'm thinking: I'll wind up with one sooner or later...
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12