Thread: FATE Thread

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

Talking FATE Thread

what is "mystic shovel"??

One a similiar note, I used to love playing Torchlight until I decided to give FATE a try. I am so addicted to the game. I swear, I could play all night long. I am thinking of deep delving after I get some of the other tasks done that I am being given but right now the game is so enjoyable that quite honestly I just love beating these monsters/dragons/hydras/bugbears, etc..etc...

And when I say 'addicted', I am not kidding.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    what is "mystic shovel"??
    It's a spell to dig through walls. The elemental temples block teleportation and are physically disconnected from the rest of the level, so digging is the only way in.

Once I finish with my ADOM game I plan to check FATE out, since you mentioned it many times here!
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    Aw man, I can't believe it. I can't fucking believe it. Killed by a game bug. Kicking a wall with less than 3 Strength causes millions of damage due to a coding error. And I just go and kick the wall with 1 Strength. Right before the final dungeon.

I have a backup of the save file. Reloading saves after you die is cheating and can't be considered a true victory. But since this is an unfair bug... well, I don't know...

This sucks so much... well, I could still go to the hall of fame under "untimely deaths".
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    You know what, anon??
    If you think you have gotten yourself into screwed up situations or felt that your toast you should see what kind of a situation I got myself into right now in FATE-TS. I'm delving down and I don't have enough charm magic skill from the last time I was allowed to increase my skills.

I inadvertently spent all my skills on other skills like fighting/attacking/defensive-related skills. <----this was bad.

Now the situation is as such. I just finished hammering the monsters and finished completing the quests I was given for the dungeons I just went on.
    Ok.
    Great. That should make most people who play the game happy.

Now I have a portal magic spell that allows me to tele-port back to town to get my reward and buy some better armor with the gold I was got to collect while in the dungeon.
    Ok. That's good.
    Great.

But guess what...??
    I'm up sh**t-creek, now. <---this is bad.

Because I don't have enough charm magic skills to tele port back to town, I have to go back up a level and find one of the merchants that might have a town portal scroll there to sell me. Now the way FATE-TS is set up is that if I decide to go back up a level, I have to fight all the big-baddy's......again. <---this is bad.

And that is even though I made toast of them on my previous excursion on that dungeon level. <--this was good.

Now what puts me so far up sh**t-creek is that I'm running out of potions to keep me alive like stamina, health, and mana potions. <---this is really bad.
    ordain them laws".

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    Who hasn't been short in supplies at some point in so many games? In ADOM, not everyone starts with healing items and spells, and they aren't found everywhere like on other RPGs. Ways to restore power points aren't common either, and their effectivity is mostly limited for the mid-game onwards. Starvation and sickness can kill low-level players with ease.

The rat hits you. You feel sick. You are wracked by feverish fits! You die...
    Trapped doors can explode and destroy you and your equipment. Stone blocks can smash your head if you step on the wrong tile. Ridiculously out-of-depth monsters can spawn in a normally safe level (although with a warning) and beat you to a pulp. When I see a character has no future, I just exit (happened with a certain archer who found a very powerful artifact, but was sick with 1 HP and no means of recovery). It feels slightly better than letting the game slowly reduce my abilities until I die.

35 minutes left until the FATE anthology finishes downloading here, I can't wait to check it out tomorrow.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Enjoy the over 2 billion dungeon levels available in FATE, anon. I'm not kidding on the amount of levels either. The game is a blast. Once you navigate your way around understanding the game as a whole (like any other game of course) I swear it will become so addictive. I stay up late playing the damn thing.

There are cheat codes inherently built into the game to access if you want. I use them once in awhile but I try to keep from using them if possible. When I do cheat, it's usually just for gold.

With FATE-TS, you can't hire any mercenaries as you can with the newest FATE game FATE-The Cursed King. The way I deck out my hired-out-mercenaries in The Cursed King is I give them my hand-me-downs (weapons/gear/rings/armor/etc..etc...). This is b/c the hired-out mercenaries are less strong than I am and after I've found some other kind of better suitable chain-mail armor or a better and more powerful weapon, I give them my old weapons/ rings/ armor---what-ever as it seems to suit them quite well. I rid them of what-ever 'weak' weapon they had and don them with a much more powerful weapon (formerly mine own) unless I can find them a weapon that is more powerful than the one I'm giving them which seems to be somewhat rare. At least in my own personal experiences it is.

One final thing I've learned to never forget and that is 'stamina'. If I want to apply about 50 % damage with what-ever weapon I am using---using the special attack mode than I need 'stamina'.

Lastly, I think I've figured out a way for me to navigate around the idea of not having enough 'charm magic skills' with respect to the dungeon level I currently am at ( I'm too deep---don't have sufficient charm skills; hence not able to return to town for supplies) . I should be able to go up one level and use the portal spell there and return to town to get more supplies. I'm hoping this should work. The problem that I'm going to be facing is that as soon as I get back up one level, I'm to face a horde of lovely monsters. I just went up and had to return back down where there are no demons and such b/c I clobbered them already. So I saw what was waiting for me. And I'm on my last supplies available to me.

Nice, eh??

Otherwise, I'm going to be hooped.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    Enjoy the over 2 billion dungeon levels available in FATE, anon. I'm not kidding on the amount of levels either. The game is a blast. Once you navigate your way around understanding the game as a whole (like any other game of course) I swear it will become so addictive. I stay up late playing the damn thing.
    I'm assuming dungeons are randomly generated?

There are cheat codes inherently built into the game to access if you want. I use them once in awhile but I try to keep from using them if possible. When I do cheat, it's usually just for gold.
    I use cheats in games when I'm playing casually, or want to see what would happen if I use or do this or that without the hassle of collecting certain items. Actually, the great thing about my character who died yesterday was that he'd be the first one to win the game without cheating by restoring savegame backups (death is permanent). But sometimes there's stuff that's borderline... for example, getting items from shops by putting them on a corner and kicking them from outside.

With FATE-TS, you can't hire any mercenaries as you can with the newest FATE game FATE-The Cursed King. The way I deck out my hired-out-mercenaries in The Cursed King is I give them my hand-me-downs (weapons/gear/rings/armor/etc..etc...). This is b/c the hired-out mercenaries are less strong than I am and after I've found some other kind of better suitable chain-mail armor or a better and more powerful weapon, I give them my old weapons/ rings/ armor---what-ever as it seems to suit them quite well. I rid them of what-ever 'weak' weapon they had and don them with a much more powerful weapon (formerly mine own) unless I can find them a weapon that is more powerful than the one I'm giving them which seems to be somewhat rare. At least in my own personal experiences it is.
    Oh, companions like my beloved BreakMe. Who backstabbed me twice and died four times.

One final thing I've learned to never forget and that is 'stamina'. If I want to apply about 50 % damage with what-ever weapon I am using---using the special attack mode than I need 'stamina'.
    I'll keep that in mind.

Lastly, I think I've figured out a way for me to navigate around the idea of not having enough 'charm magic skills' with respect to the dungeon level I currently am at ( I'm too deep---don't have sufficient charm skills; hence not able to return to town for supplies) . I should be able to go up one level and use the portal spell there and return to town to get more supplies. I'm hoping this should work. The problem that I'm going to be facing is that as soon as I get back up one level, I'm to face a horde of lovely monsters. I just went up and had to return back down where there are no demons and such b/c I clobbered them already. So I saw what was waiting for me. And I'm on my last supplies available to me.

Nice, eh??

Otherwise, I'm going to be hooped.
    It's a precious lesson on resource administration and moderation.

The game finished downloading yesterday night. I won't install it now since I have to go in a few hours, but I will tomorrow.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    No. What I meant with respect to the dungeon levels is that there is over 2 billion dungeon levels. I've gone down into level 10000+ and it is pretty dangerous is all I can say. You don't get any warning on whether or not some demon/ghost/vampire/monster-of-some-sort will attack you. You definitely need to be properly armored with appropriate weaponry. I've read on some gaming forums of players deep delving fairly far. I spent only a short amount of time on level 10000 and my time there didn't last long. LOL.

As for the dungeons being randomized, I don't know for sure. But like most games you start out easy and eventually harder. Like in all other games. But it is fun for sure.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    No. What I meant with respect to the dungeon levels is that there is over 2 billion dungeon levels. I've gone down into level 10000+ and it is pretty dangerous is all I can say. You don't get any warning on whether or not some demon/ghost/vampire/monster-of-some-sort will attack you. You definitely need to be properly armored with appropriate weaponry. I've read on some gaming forums of players deep delving fairly far. I spent only a short amount of time on level 10000 and my time there didn't last long. LOL.
    Oh, so it's like an infinite dungeon that gets harder as you descend. ADOM has a level like that, too. I remember I must have spent half a year there, thinking it was the place where to fulfill the main quest.

How much time did it take you to get to level 10000? :shock:
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    It didn't take me much time to get to level 10000. I just used a cheat code inherently built into the game. The method is Ctl + Shift + ~ (tilde) and typed after the given ? (question mark) descend 10000 which brought me to level 10000.

I think I lasted there about 4-5 seconds before my character was killed by some unseen ghost or monster of some sort. You get a pet, just like a player would in Torchlight and mine was fleeing because it was hit by said monster. It didn't take me long to die. Somewhere on that level is of course all my gold which I'm just going to leave there. There's no sense in going back to retrieve it as my character will likely die pretty much right away considering that the deeper one delves, the more difficult will be the missions and monsters. And I'm not up to fighting some high-level monster that far exceeds my fighting/strength capabilities at the moment.

I was able to have my character live again by choosing one of the 3 given options to one's 'fate'. (after my character died on that floor, that is) Hence the name of the game as you will discover as you play it when/if your character dies.

After that short expression of curiosity to see what a deeper level looks like and the potential monsters that exist there, I just chose my fate to ascend to a higher level, quickly used the inherently built cheat accessibility to access my need to return back to the level from where I was last.

FATE and Torchlight are very similar games. Both have pets which a player can transform via a fish through fishing (you need a fishing pole or you can just buy fishes for your pet from a vendor) to a creature with additional powers/traits. It also fights with you which is good the deeper you go. But the deeper one goes, the more advisable it is to have your pet transform into some other pet due to the strength/fighting capabilities it will get from the fish you feed it.

All the FATE series games have evolved and become better than the last one that came and went but all are equally good and fun to play. They also are moddable but I don't have any mods installed for FATE. I find that the program used to mod FATE is really dumb. It's not as easily usable as HotSpot is for Torchlight which is so easy to install and have mods installed for Torchlight.

I found a neat mod today for Diablo II LOD today and I'll install the thing later some other time when I get off the addiction from FATE.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    It didn't take me much time to get to level 10000. I just used a cheat code inherently built into the game. The method is Ctl + Shift + ~ (tilde) and typed after the given ? (question mark) descend 10000 which brought me to level 10000.

I think I lasted there about 4-5 seconds before my character was killed by some unseen ghost or monster of some sort. You get a pet, just like a player would in Torchlight and mine was fleeing because it was hit by said monster. It didn't take me long to die. Somewhere on that level is of course all my gold which I'm just going to leave there.
    Cheater. You should have seen it coming

Making a backup of your savegame before that would have probably been a good idea. That way you can have "fun" without losing the gold.

I've just installed the game, let's play!
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    By the way, anon. Which FATE game did you install??
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    By the way, anon. Which FATE game did you install??
    The first one. I thought it'd be the best to learn the game without too many sudden complications. I'm on dungeon level 5 now and found a few of those fish you mentioned
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39451
    By the way, FATE is great. I made it to dungeon level 10-something and monsters already began getting a bit complicated. Haven't died yet, although there were a couple of close calls. Pet-polymorphing fish, town portal books and the village healer were a huge help, specially when I began running out of potions. Now I'm grinding the first DLs to get more potions (I've already dried out all the sellers in town) and sell junk I find (that and quests got me a bit over 50000 gp already).

I plan to develop my magic talents later - spent all my points in strength, vitality and dexterity in that order, to ensure being tough enough for the beginning.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Awesome.

So you have not met any sellers inside the dungeon levels yet b/c they do appear. Interestingly, these vendors also appear inside Torchlight dungeon levels.

When drying out the sellers and then returning back to the dungeon and then immediately returning back to town the vendors are usually fully re-equipped with new potions and other wares. Have you tried that strategy yet?? It's a great way to ensure you fully equipped.

By the way, what about having a sub-sub-forum strictly for specific game chats inside the Games forum itself?? One could start a thread for their own kind of game discussions if that would interest anyone that is.
    Last edited by SealLion; 27.11.11 at 02:27.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

anon (27.11.11)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast