+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Good Firefox Addons

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    I suppose those addons are somehow better than the built-in popup blocking functionality?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss2060
    Is any of these able to fool the "it appears you are using an adblock..." thing?
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    You need an anti-anti-adblock addon or filter list for that, see https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer

To top it off, a few sites are using an anti-anti-anti-adblock to prevent you from getting away with it. Good stuff
    Thanks

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss2060
    Without any adblocker installed some sites even nag you for having blocked addresses in hosts file. IIRC it was a disposable e-mail site.

---------- Post Merged at 18:52 ---------- Previous Post was at 18:46 ----------

Without any adblocker installed some sites even nag you for having blocked addresses in hosts file. IIRC it was a disposable e-mail site.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by alpacino View Post
    IIRC it was a disposable e-mail site.
    Then just fuck them and use anonbox.net, it has no advertising and is run by privacy-conscious hackers.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

fabu01 (21.08.18) , alpacino (21.08.18)

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    You need an anti-anti-adblock addon or filter list for that, see https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer

To top it off, a few sites are using an anti-anti-anti-adblock to prevent you from getting away with it. Good stuff

Reek's anti-adblock Killer seems abandoned now.

I think it's better to use Nano defender (here for the FF version), along with uBlock or NanoAdBlocker (preferably NanoAdBlocker, FF version, Chrome and Edge versions).

EDIT: There is a FF addon too: AAAA The Anti Atob Anti Adblocker, for getting rid of some sort of anti adblocking. I don't know what it's worth, though.

Other usefull FF Addons: Save Page WE or SingleFile to save web pages as a single HTML file
    Last edited by Renk; 05.11.18 at 04:33.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

anon (07.11.18) , alpacino (05.11.18)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    NanoAdBlocker is better than uBlock Origin?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    I don't say that. NanoAdBlocker is a fork of uBlockO, and I don't know which one is the best. But NanoAdblocker is better suited to work with Nano Defender.
    Last edited by Renk; 05.11.18 at 17:50.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1606
    Do you know how to reduce RAM usage from Firefox? it increases a lot when using addons
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    Do you know how to reduce RAM usage from Firefox? it increases a lot when using addons
    I use a lot of addons and open a lot of tabs, and I'm very satisfied with Auto Tab Discard. As you guess, it automatically suspend tabs after being inactive a selected period of time.

You may also in about:preferences reduce the number of processes in use (default is 4), or even completely deactivate hardware acceleration (but I think it would be a pity, as you will reduce your bowser speed and loose some features such as site isolation).
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by Renk View Post
    Reek's anti-adblock Killer seems abandoned now.

I think it's better to use Nano defender (here for the FF version), along with uBlock or NanoAdBlocker (preferably NanoAdBlocker, FF version, Chrome and Edge versions).
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    I don't say that. NanoAdBlocker is a fork of uBlockO, and I don't know which one is the best. But NanoAdblocker is better suited to work with Nano Defender.
    Personally, I solved this by... not blocking advertisements at all! Well, other than Google's, de facto disallowed by a blacklist of Google-owned domains rather than deliberately, and cryptocurrency miners, because those things are nasty and I have very little processor power to offer during my short visits anyway.

Everything else is allowed, since advertising pays for the free services we use and love after all. In the case of abusive stuff like multiple pop-ups and audio, I strongly reevaluate whether the site's offerings in question are worth the bother (but TPB was still allowed because they don't really have a choice, very few agencies want to advertise there).

As a result, warnings telling me to turn off my ad blocker and having to use an anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-adblock or whatever iteration of that we're up to now are not part of my reality

Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    I use a lot of addons and open a lot of tabs, and I'm very satisfied with Auto Tab Discard. As you guess, it automatically suspend tabs after being inactive a selected period of time.

You may also in about:preferences reduce the number of processes in use (default is 4), or even completely deactivate hardware acceleration (but I think it would be a pity, as you will reduce your bowser speed and loose some features such as site isolation).
    Multiple processes are a good idea from a security standpoint, but unfortunately that design scales horribly when it comes to resource usage.

You could always also go through your addon list and do a little cleanup. Maybe not all of them are needed after all.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Personally, I solved this by... not blocking advertisements at all! Well, other than Google's, de facto disallowed by a blacklist of Google-owned domains rather than deliberately, and cryptocurrency miners, because those things are nasty and I have very little processor power to offer during my short visits anyway.

Everything else is allowed, since advertising pays for the free services we use and love after all. In the case of abusive stuff like multiple pop-ups and audio, I strongly reevaluate whether the site's offerings in question are worth the bother (but TPB was still allowed because they don't really have a choice, very few agencies want to advertise there).

As a result, warnings telling me to turn off my ad blocker and having to use an anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-adblock or whatever iteration of that we're up to now are not part of my reality
    For me the problem are not ads per se: I do not find ads unbearable, as soon as they are not sticky not animated, they remain discreet and their number is moderate. The problem for me is privacy. I deeply dislike being tracked (particularly without giving an explicit consent), because I'm unable to built a threat model for that. I do not know what I would commit to if I would agreed to be traced/fingerprinted. I do not know the implications of all that (and many of the entities that map me probably do not know it either). On the top of that, I have been very disappointed by ads business concerning "Do Not Track" header. I sent a signal saying "please don't track me", and their replies were "I don't care". So, by default now, I spoof, filter, hide & block.

Paradoxically, I dislike less cryptocurrency miners. On some sites (and with a properly sandboxed browser) I deactivate mining blocker if 1) I like the site 2) the site clearly states it uses crypto mining 3) there is opt in for that (at the very least, opt out, if mining is anounced). Because I think the mining code will not track me. It's obviously just an assumption. But I really think honest mining could be a way for some sites to escape censorship and financial suffocation attempts, so I tend to support it. On the contrary, ads are not such a way, and that's another reason for me not to support them.
    Last edited by Renk; 10.11.18 at 03:32.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    If you follow good security practices (Tor or similar, third-party cookies disabled, an anti-canvas addon, something like SecretAgent to randomize your browser's identity) for both the advertisements and the site displaying them, they'll only be able to correlate your activities throughout a single session, and that's in a worst-case scenario. You're looking for a mug to buy online, the e-shop knows you like mugs, the ad agency knows you like mugs and will remember it for future ads, but you're never going to use the same browser identity and fingerprint ever again anywhere, so the usability of that information becomes pretty much zero. I find that a reasonable compromise... I'd prefer to be completely hidden too, but if everyone blocks ads, we won't have any services to hide from (so to speak) in the first place.

And "Do Not Track" is purely mental masturbation as effective as it sounds. GDPR may have changed this slightly, but Europe isn't the world and bad guys don't play by the rules.

Agreed 100% with regards to the currency miners. In principle, they're a very interesting, and potentially "freer" alternative, to traditional advertising. The problem is the implementation: most sites don't fulfill the requirements you mention, and also, people's ability to support them becomes tied to the speed of their hardware. There is very little the ultra-low-voltage laptop I'm typing this from can give them, at least without becoming really hot and slowing everything else down.

goodolddownloads.com was a shining example of a site that used a miner ethically, in an opt-in basis and with a throttle setting to limit CPU usage. I'm saying "was" because they eventually removed it, having made some $35 in the few months the "experiment" lasted, which may be why others are so sneaky instead... oh well.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss2060
    I also stopped using ad blockers for everything. I use a separate browser for watching youtube videos from my favorite youtube creators so they can get the ad revenue, it's fast anyway, takes less than 5 seconds and you can click skip.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss2060
    I think this is just a coincidence but a few days after I installed this add-on and nano defender with nano adblocker my firefox is now giving me a very annoying message saying "A web page is slowing down your browser, what do you want to do" then options "stop it" and "wait". Choosing "wait" does nothing. And these are the only three add-ons installed currently.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast