+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Samsung-funded study finds 3D video causes extra eye strain, fatigue

P2P Client
    Dragon Fist
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss133

Lightbulb Samsung-funded study finds 3D video causes extra eye strain, fatigue

3D displays cause extra eye fatigue, according to a study published by the Journal of Vision today that was funded in part by Samsung's R&D arm. A group of researchers from the University of Califonia-Berkeley found that when test subjects watched 3D displays, they reported more eye strain and fatigue and less vision clarity afterward than when they watched 2D video. The disparity between the depth of the screen and the depth of the 3D image caused the most problems, though researchers also found the relationship between image depth and nearness of the screen also played a role in eye strain.

Twenty-four participants in the study were shown 3D and 2D video at various viewing distances, and then responded to questionnaires on their eye fatigue, neck and back pain, and vision clarity. In the video clips, the authors were varying the focal point, which is the surface of the screen, and the vergence distance, which is where in the image the eyes are trying to focus on. For 2D video, these points are always one and the same, but in 3D video the vergence distance varies, and can be either deeper than the surface of the screen or in front of it.

The participants responded that they experienced more eye strain and fatigue from the video with different vergence and focal distances, a feature of 3D that has long been supposed to cause eye strain. The self-reported differences between 3D and 2D were not drastic, but they were significant.

A second part of the study found that though 3D was fatiguing in general, the participants had more problems with distant displays showing an image with a vergence distance deeper than the screen and with near displays showing images popping out of the screen.

This research is highly relevant to 3D content designers, who could determine what to recess or pop out of the screen based on the expected viewer distance. However, the study also means that 3D video that is more comfortably viewed in a movie theater is necessarily much more uncomfortable to look at when viewed in a living room.

Unfortunately for Samsung, financial supporters of the study and manufacturers of 3D TVs, the research appears to indicate that they're hurting the eyes of their customers.
    Samsung-funded study finds 3D video causes extra eye strain, fatigue
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (24.07.11)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Wow. Isn't that amazing. After all this time they finally figured it out.

.....a feature of 3D that has long been supposed to cause eye strain....
    Watching footage of some kind on a screen ( TV or not) causes eye strain.
    What will they discover next.

This study didn't mention at all whether the participants wore eye glasses on a regular basis as that has an impact on people's vision, eye strain, and the like while even watching TV. It also didn't mention the age group of people as that also is an important consideration. When people do studies of some kind, it's important to consider the age group of people that are in the study. Over time, as some people age they can develop cataracts. I do believe that even in younger ages, one can also develop cataracts. This study only used a small number of people in the study. Twenty-four people I don't think is all that much. A larger group of participants would have been a wiser choice as you get more varied results from a larger group or participants compared to a smaller group of people in which there are a smaller variation of results. This study also didn't mention for how long these particiapants watched the videos. Four hours straight without a break?? Two minute intervals over 2 hours?? An entire 8 hours straight...what???

You can guess at the answers all you like. But it would be better to have accurate answers.
    Not a very good study, IMHO.

The abstract at the link given doesn't give the reader a whole lot of information either.

By-the-way, I'd strongly suggest that this belongs NOT in the entertainment news, rather perhaps inside the General News if you ask me.That's just how I would see it, though.
    Last edited by SealLion; 24.07.11 at 08:11.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (24.07.11)

P2P Client
    Dragon Fist
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss133
    You know you can read the whole study on the Journal of Vision right?
    http://www.journalofvision.org/content/11/8/11.full.pdf
    As for my take on it: I wear glasses on a regular basis and I spend a minimum of 6 hours in front of a screen everyday, and I regularly go for 12-14 hours when I'm working.
    I know a lot of people complain of eye strain. I don't have any, but I try to take some time off from time to time and readjust my vision by doing far/near exercises. I have experienced some of discomfort while watching 3D Movies. Like the study explicitly says, distance is a factor but sitting closer gives you better in-your-face action as the screen covers some of your side vision too.
    All in all, I'm not really not that fond of 3D entertainment as I think (and others agree) that the current technology forces the eyes in an unnatural state.
    I really prefer 2D HD but maybe some of you have had a better experience with this tech.

Ooh, and by the way, yes the article maybe be integrated in the general section but the target audience is entertainment lovers. Anyway your decision to move it is fine.
    Last edited by fuzzy; 24.07.11 at 11:42.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Firstly, no I didn't know that I could read the thing via .pdf format. It was late and my body was telling me to get to sleep and I didn't feel like Googling 'Journal of Vision".

In addition, to be brutally honest, I really don't feel like reading it. The summary above as well as the abstract was enough for me.

Secondly, I can tell you right now that the last thing that Samsung cares about is whether or not 3D TV hurts people's eyes or not. The only thing that's on the mind of Samsung's chief executive officer is how much revenue their going to get from 3D TV innovation. They don't give a rat's fart over the health of people's vision.

This is actually the responsibility of the consumer. Anyone that thinks it's a company's responsibility should think twice. People are responsible for themselves. Most people ( notice I mentioned most people not all) are intelligent to figure things out on their own.
    Those who can't.....well.... I don't know.

The next thing you know, people are going to whine because they're getting cancer from walking over their own backyard lawns.
    Last edited by SealLion; 24.07.11 at 16:01.
    ordain them laws".

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Dragon Fist
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss133
    You really should chill.

The link to the full study was right there for the taking if you weren't so tired. No google needed.
    As for companies caring, one should acknowledge that big companies really do know about health concerns, but they don't fuss around until they have a product which they can market as better for your health.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I am chill.

Secondly, don't suggest I should read some report even though I'm tired as hell and it's getting close to the wee hours of the morning at that time.

Why not stay up late yourself and read it to me. It might help put me to sleep earlier. Then tell me, after you've stayed up late and read until your eyes have turned so stiff they can start to shoot lasers out of them.

Anyways, you know the thing I find with virtually most big companies is that the last thing that's on their mind is that they're more into making money. Not making you healthier.

Samsung is into selling electronic products. There's a myriad of chemicals that goes into the production of electronic components and as such Samsung isn't going to sit on the bench and research to death some new product that they feel is 'healthy' and then if/when it finally comes to the point that they've invented a 'healthy' electronic product that's safe for viewing etc..., AND then and only then will they sell it even at the cost of having lost millions of dollars from a product that they manufactured before regardless if it was deemed 'healthy' or not. To assume something like that, IMHO, isn't realistic.

Corporations aren't into waiting until they've invented and manufactured some 'healthy' electronic product when they could be making money. Sure they'll meet the minimum guidelines set forth by the regulations of the countries of where they're looking to add to their consumer bases.

In the end, the bottom line is the dollar. Not about companies worrying and teeth-clenching themselves half-to-death of whether or not some guy down the street has his 3D TV on full-blast volume when the girl is swallowing the honey and you're done moaning your a$$ off and he can't hear her daddy coming up the stairs to beat you with a club, who might in this case beat him with a dead baby.
    Last edited by SealLion; 24.07.11 at 21:15.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread