+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: uTorrent slowly becoming what it was the opposite of.

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by desodorante
    Bittorrent Inc. is just using their philosophy to develop the product and that means no more minimal design, and competing not against other BT clients, but against other "sources of media files".
    exactly, being the leader of one market segment (BT clients) isn't enough, gotta spread all over and grab what they can, ie. excessive greed and lack of decent vision/focus, meaning they just might be biting off more than they can chew or starting to bite in wrong places...

other than that, it doesn't really matter what or how many extra features they add, as long as these don't excessively inflate the program's light core (size & memory/cpu usage) or if they can't be turned on/off at will by the user (modularity) or if they significantly downgrade usability, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by desodorante
    In any case, they could just rename utorrent to mmtorrent
    you mean mtorrent

Quote Originally Posted by anon
    The μ in μTorrent is the symbol for the micron, which is 1/1000th of a milimeter
    more correctly, its a symbol for 'micro-', representing fi. 1/1000th of a 'milli-' unit (SI unit)
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    I've noticed that sometimes, when I limit my upload speed, it'll suddenly slow down a lot, no matter what I set the cap to. I tried 1000kB/s and it still effectively halves my speed. Unlimited works fine.

Any other 3.0 users having the same problem?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss38
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    A bloated client, that is.

I upgraded to 3.0 today, after releasing my mod pack. First thing I noticed is that they're turning the client into some shitty search-and-click downloader for newbies, just like Azureus did with Vuze. Buttons hidden by default, apps, "find content", things that new users may find helpful or handy, but are only an annoyance to those of us who have been torrenting for years and already know where to get our stuff. Then there's this streaming crap. If I want to watch a video I'm downloading, I'll wait until it finishes and then use my media player. Not to mention this search bar that can't be removed, and how simply right-clicking a category doesn't select all its associated torrents like it used to (you have to click first, then do that).

They're only adding useless stuff.

Also, the very first uTorrent version was around 70kB long. In the 1.x.x branches, the executable's size was somewhere in the 200 kilobytes region. Now it's 600kB and only going up. It's still much lighter when compared against other clients, but it could be even smaller if this newbie crap wasn't there.

uTorrent was a very good client back in the day. Small, fast, it did what it had to do, and the feature list satisfied both newcomers and experienced torrents alike. Now... they're just screwing it up. Staying on an older version (1.8.5, 2.2.1) is an option, but they will eventually age and become obsolete or vulnerable to attacks.

Discuss. Do you dislike the new interface and features as well? What will uT's future be if this keeps on getting worse? And would it be happening if BT Inc. hadn't bought the client? Why is every change coders and Web developers do to their programs/Web sites for the worst?
    Someone will just build a lite version of it!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss231
    @anon

My thoughts exactly. I never bothered installing v3, just saw changelog and went ewww.

Wish we had good deluge mod or something.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Isn't uTorrent still lighter than Deluge... for now
    Thanks

Guest Coder
    P2P Client
    uSerenity
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss478
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Isn't uTorrent still lighter than Deluge... for now
    lolwhat, deluge is just a console daemon with external gui, how can it be not lighter than uTorrent? :) but yes, python and envoirment does its thing.
    信心正気宇裁
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Quote Originally Posted by Owyn View Post
    but yes, python and envoirment does its thing.
    That's what I meant

I'm not much into Deluge, hence my question. I did however notice you can run it as daemon, and I always liked that sort of stuff, for example in mlDonkey or KCeasy where the giFT core could run independently.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12