+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uTorrent slowly becoming what it was the opposite of.

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386

Angry uTorrent slowly becoming what it was the opposite of.

A bloated client, that is.

I upgraded to 3.0 today, after releasing my mod pack. First thing I noticed is that they're turning the client into some shitty search-and-click downloader for newbies, just like Azureus did with Vuze. Buttons hidden by default, apps, "find content", things that new users may find helpful or handy, but are only an annoyance to those of us who have been torrenting for years and already know where to get our stuff. Then there's this streaming crap. If I want to watch a video I'm downloading, I'll wait until it finishes and then use my media player. Not to mention this search bar that can't be removed, and how simply right-clicking a category doesn't select all its associated torrents like it used to (you have to click first, then do that).

They're only adding useless stuff.

Also, the very first uTorrent version was around 70kB long. In the 1.x.x branches, the executable's size was somewhere in the 200 kilobytes region. Now it's 600kB and only going up. It's still much lighter when compared against other clients, but it could be even smaller if this newbie crap wasn't there.

uTorrent was a very good client back in the day. Small, fast, it did what it had to do, and the feature list satisfied both newcomers and experienced torrents alike. Now... they're just screwing it up. Staying on an older version (1.8.5, 2.2.1) is an option, but they will eventually age and become obsolete or vulnerable to attacks.

Discuss. Do you dislike the new interface and features as well? What will uT's future be if this keeps on getting worse? And would it be happening if BT Inc. hadn't bought the client? Why is every change coders and Web developers do to their programs/Web sites for the worst?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Epivvb (18.07.11) , SBfreak (05.07.11) , shawshankraj (05.07.11) , Instab (05.07.11) , THC (04.07.11)

Activity Longevity
    4/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss4827
    To say it in a few words, I haven't installed 3, I won't install 3, I stick with the one I'm using and happy.
    If it goes on like this, uTorrent will be replaced.

------------------------------>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<------------------------------

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss90
    Every client ( include P2P software, TV, Tablet, social network) go to "Streaming", movie rental, cloud music. Which is absolute useless, maybe people are so lazy, just want to click and find their stuff. I have not try 3.0 yet, but according to uTorrent changelog, there are nothing important. One of the reason I dislike Vuze, because it's so fat, and I hate that DVD burner, media player, and search. If uTorrent keep going this way, I will switch to Vuze. Program should have a simple and clean UI, a powerful and light core. So I use eMule CN-8 build201 and Google chrome.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

Instab (05.07.11)

P2P Client
    uTorrentRatioMaster 1.9.1
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss254
    uTorrent is destroying it's own unique selling point... agreed lol.
    Last edited by GymTanAndLaundry; 04.07.11 at 16:15.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

Instab (05.07.11)

I dislike:
    streaming: Why would I use uT for this?
    remote: Useless because 1. they force me to register and 2. there are more efficient ways to do this
    rating & comments: Totally useless because 1. people have their own heads and don't need shiny stars or fancy comments to tell them about the quality of the torrent, 2. we have trackers for comments and 3. this won't work for private torrents so again useless for us
    drag & drop sending: If I'm not mistaken this is some sort of file hosting service. I drag and drop files onto uT's main window, it will create a torrent that will be uploaded (somewhere) so that others may download it by a download link.
    uChat: We have trackers and specialized forums for that
    portable: The real question is why do you need utorrent to be portable? what use could you possible have by keeping it on usb stick or external drive?
    utorrent apps: I don't get. I really don't...

I never judge an application by its appearance. I think we can predict that uT will continue it's way up to 1MB and in few years will have the same size of bitcomet. In that case, I'm not sure if people will move to another client because even with these new features being implement, uT will still not overthrow vuze (i don't think anything will able to top that bloated client).
    Coders listen to their users. If 70% of all emails/opinions/forum reviews etc are about requesting useless features then that's how it's gonna be. I've meet a lot of people that consider these kind of features useful.

To tell truth I don't even look at my uTorrent anymore. I just start it with windows then it stays quietly in the tray and downloads every torrent it finds in predefined folder. I've set opera to download all torrents in that folder. As such I don't use any features, don't need any themes, chat, stars, streams ... I'm caveman, what can i say?
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

anon (05.07.11)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss296
    Quote Originally Posted by GymTanAndLaundry View Post
    uTorrent is destroying it's own unique selling point... agreed lol.
    my thoughts exactly.

they're gonna have stop calling it microtorrent at this rate - it's a bit ironic...
    Last edited by takomania; 04.07.11 at 21:48.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    4/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss4827
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    portable: The real question is why do you need utorrent to be portable? what use could you possible have by keeping it on usb stick or external drive?
    Do they provide this now as a new feature?
    Well, it's possible for quite long.

------------------------------>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<------------------------------

Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (16.03.14)

P2P Client
    uTorrentRatioMaster 1.9.1
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss254
    If uTorrent didn't add all this useless crap they would still be on version 2. uTorrent is perfect, it only needs updates for security flaws/bugs/translations and nothing else. Seeing as they're going down this route, maybe they should make "uTorrent Lite" or something. Portable is useful also, if you're going to a friends house/university network/library/internet cafe aka a public network and are going to be using a PC that isn't yours.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by GymTanAndLaundry View Post
    Portable is useful also, if you're going to a friends house/university network/library/internet cafe aka a public network and are going to be using a PC that isn't yours.
    True, I've had a portable uTorrent in my flashdrive and have done that for years. It's pretty useful. I do agree with the reset of Master Razor's post, however.

uTorrent Lite (a name which should be redundant) would be nice, but we all know it's most likely not going to happen.

Messing around with some of the advanced settings, the new interface can be made more or less usable, but I still don't need the new "useful" features.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    I knew this was coming since the time the Bittorrent company bought uTorrent.
    I expected them to try to find ways to extract as much money from us as possible, and that's what they are trying to do with newbies.
    They are turning it into a marketing machine, sadly :/
    Thanks

Tell me something new. A new replacement will soon be adopted by angry utorrent users. I'm sure of it.
    Thankfully I'm on linux and Transmission never disappointed me.
    Last edited by SBfreak; 05.07.11 at 15:26.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    The issue here is that uTorrent does no longer have the "micron" concept that the original developers envisioned. Bittorrent Inc. is just using their philosophy to develop the product and that means no more minimal design, and competing not against other BT clients, but against other "sources of media files". Remember that services like Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and Youku are wiping customers away, specially those that do not know how to use a P2P program.
    Besides, it is "cool" for some people to use an "alternative" client that is better than the industry standard (Think about Firefox replacing IE and everyone talking about it like they knew what it was and wasn´t).
    So providing a dumb-proof, instant access, one stop shop for movies is more of a deal than just having a rock solid, minimal, efficient client (Again, think of Firefox and how Opera can't put a dent in its marketshare, or Chrome's)
    In any case, they could just rename utorrent to mmtorrent (get it?)
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    Quote Originally Posted by desodorante View Post
    In any case, they could just rename utorrent to mmtorrent (get it?)
    Nope, I didn't get it :/ And I do not believe Opera is superior to Firefox and Chrome, so I guess there is a lot of catching up for me to do :)
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Nope, I didn't get it :/
    The μ in μTorrent is the symbol for the micron, which is 1/1000th of a milimeter, i.e. mm. What he means is that "uTorrent" is slowly growing a thousand times bigger than it was.

Halite looks like it's the next best thing in terms of resource usage, but sadly it hasn't been updated for almost a year.
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (05.07.11)

Guest Coder
    P2P Client
    uSerenity
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss478
    The μ in μTorrent is the symbol for the micron
    GigaTorrent time? :)

well, the whole opinion i got about 3.0 is that it ruined my columns settings and that clicking "play streaming" did totally nothing except disabling itself's button.
    信心正気宇裁
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast