+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dropbox

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss92
    Quote Originally Posted by desodorante View Post
    I honestly don't like it. Yes, it's easy, it's simple, it's popular and it works; but is annoying, insecure and simple minded.
    I HAD to use it once and it ended up downloading every single file in the folders without asking me. I kept cursing my ISP for the slow download rates until I realized that crap had been downloading 4gb of data.
    I am using SVN to work, RDC to access remote computers and my tablet to carry files.
    I think you need some practice then
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss296
    I honestly don't like it. Yes, it's easy, it's simple, it's popular and it works; but is annoying, insecure and simple minded.
    I HAD to use it once and it ended up downloading every single file in the folders without asking me. I kept cursing my ISP for the slow download rates until I realized that crap had been downloading 4gb of data.
    I am using SVN to work, RDC to access remote computers and my tablet to carry files.
    heh - my thoughts exactly - check out wuala - it's a decent dropbox alternative that i use, which addresses all of the issues above
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    Dropbox confirms security glitch--no password required
    Dropbox confirms security glitch--no password required | Privacy Inc. - CNET News
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

Blocker (29.06.11) , seldom (29.06.11)

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss1619
    Well heres the info that SomeGuy is reffering to

Dropbox confirms security glitch--no password required

Web-based storage firm Dropbox confirmed this afternoon that a programmer's error caused a temporary security breach that allowed any password to be used to access any user account.

The San Francisco-based start-up attributed the security breach to a "code update" that "introduced a bug affecting our authentication mechanism." Access without passwords was possible between 1:54pm PT and 5:46pm PT yesterday, the company said.

"This should never have happened," Dropbox co-founder and CTO Arash Ferdowsi said in a blog post. "We are scrutinizing our controls and we will be implementing additional safeguards to prevent this from happening again."

This afternoon's news is a significant embarrassment for Dropbox, which (despite not being located in Silicon Valley) appeared on a list of "20 Hot Silicon Valley Startups You Need To Watch," and which received a CNET Webware award in May 2009.

Dropbox had assured its users that "we use the best tools and engineering practices available to build our software, and we have smart people making sure that Dropbox remains secure."

News of the snafu began to trickle out earlier on Dropbox's discussion forums--one thread was titled "Drop box web interface was WIDE OPEN for some time yesterday"--and through Twitter in a post by privacy advocate Christopher Soghoian.

In 2008, Dropbox received $7.2 million in funding from Sequoia Capital and other investors. The company claims to have more than 25 million users of its free service.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (29.06.11)

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogli247 View Post
    I think you need some practice then
    Practice? I can use an SVN repository but I need to learn how to use Dropbox?
    Dropdbox is a dumbed-down version of ftp mixed with some social-networking concepts. It was made for people that don't know how to host, upload or maintain a hosting solution. That is the problem.
    I guess that this works for most people, and I do agree that because it is popular, and easy to use, you can easily share stuff with almost anyone, but I still think their desktop client shouldn't default to automatically run with windows and automatically sync your folders.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

Instab (30.06.11) , takomania (29.06.11)

I feel the harbinger of bad news.

Dropbox can legally sell all of your files

Dropbox- Terms of Services

We sometimes need your permission to do what you ask us to do with your stuff (for example, hosting, making public, or sharing your files). By submitting your stuff to the Services, you grant us (and those we work with to provide the Services) worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable rights to use, copy, distribute, prepare derivative works (such as translations or format conversions) of, perform, or publicly display that stuff to the extent reasonably necessary for the Service. This license is solely to enable us to technically administer, display, and operate the Services. You must ensure you have the rights you need to grant us that permission.
    Ah no biggie....
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    The mention of "to the extent reasonably necessary for the Service." is what could get them into legal trouble if they sold your stuff. Because that is not part of their service, unless in the TOS they define it as "using your data for research and marketing with third parties".
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    It depends on whose reason it is. Just like "lifetime guarantee" often doesn't specify whose lifespan we're talking about - yours or the company's.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent and rtorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss10
    dropbox is good for things like sharing docs with people but not for 'secret' stuff i think, with the security troubles they have. i still like it though and use it a lot for schoolwork.
    Thanks

Practice? I can use an SVN repository but I need to learn how to use Dropbox?
    Dropdbox is a dumbed-down version of ftp mixed with some social-networking concepts. It was made for people that don't know how to host, upload or maintain a hosting solution. That is the problem.
    I guess that this works for most people, and I do agree that because it is popular, and easy to use, you can easily share stuff with almost anyone, but I still think their desktop client shouldn't default to automatically run with windows and automatically sync your folders.
    He's right though. There are settings so you don't download everything but only what you wanted. In case of such big things that you do want, there is also the option to transfer through lan rather than internet. You can turn off automatic start up, automatic sync and what not. All your arguments seem to come down to you not turning on/off the right settings.

You might also want to note that setting up your own hosting is not allowed by a lot of providers (including mine), so that's not an option for a lot of people. Them being too dumb or not doesn't even matter. I personally wouldn't even want to set up something of that level for something as simple as a small backup.

but is annoying, insecure.
    I think you should also think things through a bit. You shouldn't be throwing secure files on the internet in the first place, no matter how secure the place is, imho. Dropbox is an awesome system to sync several pc's without having to have access to a local network, having to set up a personal vpn, ... It's meant to back up some stuff for school, some pictures you like or whatever. Not way too personal information you don't want anyone to see. The biggest reason for me to use it, though, is that I always have a local copy of everything, no matter where I am. Setting up your own hosting won't do you much good if you're somewhere without internet. If I'm visiting a friend, they also wouldn't appreciate it if I used up a big chunk of their bandwith to get some files out of my storage.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 06.07.11 at 21:21.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

Blocker (10.07.11)

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    So, there is this client I have, he uses Dropbox. He uploaded a build of one of its products for me to test. I go there, select the whole folder of the build and download.
    I overwrite all the files in my computer. An hour later, I am trying to get a new feature to work, but I can't. So I contact him and explain that the new feature just won't work. After a few words he says "It can't be, I commited all the files today"...so I check dropbox....and all the files there have the current date (they read "X hours ago")...then I check the ZIP I downloaded...it was created today, cool....so I open it...........the files are a month old.......................Thank you Dropbox
    Thanks

Well to remove any confusion, they changed the TOS altogether...

The Dropbox Blog » Blog Archive » What

…By using our Services you provide us with information, files, and folders that you submit to Dropbox (together, “your stuff”). You retain full ownership to your stuff. We don’t claim any ownership to any of it. These Terms do not grant us any rights to your stuff or intellectual property except for the limited rights that are needed to run the Services, as explained below.

We may need your permission to do things you ask us to do with your stuff, for example, hosting your files, or sharing them at your direction. This includes product features visible to you, for example, image thumbnails or document previews. It also includes design choices we make to technically administer our Services, for example, how we redundantly backup data to keep it safe. You give us the permissions we need to do those things solely to provide the Services. This permission also extends to trusted third parties we work with to provide the Services, for example Amazon, which provides our storage space (again, only to provide the Services).

To be clear, aside from the rare exceptions we identify in our Privacy Policy, no matter how the Services change, we won’t share your content with others, including law enforcement, for any purpose unless you direct us to. How we collect and use your information generally is also explained in our Privacy Policy…
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (08.07.11)

P2P Client
    Dragon Fist
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss133
    Yeah the TOS was crap till some time ago. But it's ok now!
    Anyway if you wanna increase your space visit:
    https://www.dropbox.com/free
    and also remember that if you have a .edu mail you can get double the referral (500MB)
    https://www.dropbox.com/edu

As alternatives:
    1. Sugarsync gives you 5GB to start with:
    https://www.sugarsync.com/
    2. Spideroak (2GB) gives you enhanced security
    https://spideroak.com/
    3. Box.net (5GB) 25Mb file size limit
    Box.net | Online file sharing, content management, collaboration
    4. Wuala like some of you mentioned
    5. there are others out there but these are one of the best
    Thanks