+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did my HDD just die?

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    Hey fellas! I have a question. If you HDD has bad blocks/sectors does that mean it's destined to be doomed or can complete format fix these issues?
    Once bad sectors are flagged as such (this can be done with a surface check if you aren't willing to fight and revive them), the healthy part of the drive can be used without problems - you'll have less storage capacity depending on how many sectors are damaged, of course.

I've been skeptical about HDD Regenerator, but if takomania says it works, then it's worth a try.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    Hey! Today just before lunch I double clicked on uSerenity, it didn't open and my PC was unresponsive. Two error messages pop up, didn't even read them, just clicked on OK. Nothing happened, so I forced restarted the PC. After I logged into windows I noticed my external HDD isn't recognized. So I unplug usb cable and plug it in again. I can hear that windows beep it does, but nothing happens, still no drive. I checked Device Manager and it's there, saying it's working properly. After that I tried plug it in on my laptop with W7, same thing, you can hear the windows beep sound but no drive is seen. So now I don't know what to do. I read on internet that if this happens your HDD is dead. Is this true or could it be just the casing faulty? How exactly do you know if HDD is really dead?
    And my HDD is WD My Book Essential 1TB.
    Last edited by yoco; 06.05.12 at 22:58.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    With your drive plugged in, go to Start -> Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter. Can you see it there? Post a screenshot if you do.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (07.05.12)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    No I don't see it there when it's plugged on my PC (XP SP3), I will post screenshot tomorrow of when it's on W7.

---------- Post added 07.05.12 at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was 06.05.12 at 23:59 ----------

Here's how it looks like in W7.

Basically it says it's not initialized, something like that.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    In theory you can try to right-click and reinitialize the drive, but that will delete your data, so don't do it.

I did a little searching and a common solution seems to be plugging it as an internal drive, or booting from a Linux live CD, and seeing if you can see your files in either case. If so, you can backup and then see if reinitializing as MBR solves the problem.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (07.05.12)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    I decided to take to service and let them figure out. Only bad thing is, I'm gonna wait at least 2 weeks if not more!
    Thanks

chkdsk for errors.
    I'm sure you're HDD is dying so my advice is to back up your data immediately.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    Can you run a chkdsk if the drive has no letter assigned?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss157
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    nope.......

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

I didn't have the Click of Death yet, but only time my HDD was clicking is when the cable was faulty and it couldn't provide enough current.
    The HDD was working normally, and at some point it started clicking. Disk management showed it like your, that it is there but no letter because it detected the case but has no power to spin the drive. I changed the case and it works great now.

---------- Post added at 23:01 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

Also, HDD Regenerator can fix bad sectors, but HDD with bad sectors if often a failing drive and regenerated sectors will have much longer access times than normal. You will need more time to read/write files stored across regenerated sectors. Essentially, a failing drive needs to be replaced and not used for important data.
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

Extraterrestrial (08.05.12)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    Quote Originally Posted by gu5t3r View Post
    I didn't have the Click of Death yet, but only time my HDD was clicking is when the cable was faulty and it couldn't provide enough current.
    The HDD was working normally, and at some point it started clicking. Disk management showed it like your, that it is there but no letter because it detected the case but has no power to spin the drive. I changed the case and it works great now.
    I had the same problem last year. HDD working fine now =)

Also, HDD Regenerator can fix bad sectors, but HDD with bad sectors if often a failing drive and regenerated sectors will have much longer access times than normal. You will need more time to read/write files stored across regenerated sectors. Essentially, a failing drive needs to be replaced and not used for important data.
    I think I checked it not so long ago, and there was no errors. I hope it's not that serious, if I managed to get it back in one piece, I'm buying a new one and using it only for backups every few months!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    He can assign one using either one of these software ( EASEUS.Partition.Master.Server.Edition - OOPartition Manager Pro).
    Thanks

15. Who Said Thanks:

anon (08.05.12)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    So after a month of waiting I finally got a call. They said my HDD died, couldn't be repaired, so they gave me the same one, except instead of 1TB I got 2TB HDD!

But now I have a question. After some time HDD seems to go into sleep mode ore something like that. And it takes a few seconds to get back and running. Can I see anywhere if this is the case?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss39410
    But now I have a question. After some time HDD seems to go into sleep mode ore something like that. And it takes a few seconds to get back and running. Can I see anywhere if this is the case?
    Go to Power Options in the control panel to check the disk turnoff timeout. It's right there in XP, but you'll need to open the advanced power plan settings in 7. Set the timeout to "never" or 0 and apply settings. That's what I've personally done, since Instab told me it's better to leave the disks running than turning them off and on too often.
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (10.06.12)

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    It was already on "never", but there's still this delay.
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

(18.01.22)

It was already on "never", but there's still this delay.
    Sometimes windows 7 return to the default settings even though they were set by the user differently (I know how it sounds...). Try to select balanced, apply it and then change the HDD power setting to none again.

Other than the above, your HDD may have a built-in setting that powers down on low activity. Usually, this can be controlled using the manufacturer's diagnostics floppy/cd.
    If you can give me the exact model of your drive I'll help you find some answers.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast