Thread: How to Disable Annoying Things in Windows 7

P2P Client
    µ
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss773

Thumbs up How to Disable Annoying Things in Windows 7

Many users love Windows 7. In fact, they might love it so much that they are ready to ignore some of its shortcomings and annoyances. What if I tell you that you can have all of Windows 7′s positive features while getting rid of some of its annoyances? Now that I have your attention, it’s possible to get rid of some of the most annoying things in Windows 7 with a few simple fixes. Here’s how:

1. Get Rid Of Aero Snap
    Aero Snap is probably the feature that annoys me the most, though some people do findi it very useful. Honestly, it’s very annoying because I can’t move anything to the edge of the screen without Windows automatically moving and re-sizing it to fit half the entire monitor. The mouse has never been such a murderous instrument after this. There’s a very easy way to disable it:

• Open up your control panel and click “Appearance and Personalization.” Once in there, click “Ease of Access Center.”
    • Click “Make the mouse easier to use.”
    • Mark the checkbox next to “Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen.”

• Click “OK.”

This will pretty much get rid of your problem.

2. Disable Those Annoying Error Reports

Unless you are debugging an application, or intend to send Microsoft the bug report (and thinking it will be fixed), you really don’t need error reporting. To many people, it’s useless and annoying. So, let’s remove it!

Open your control panel and click “System and Security” and then “Action Center.”
    Click “Change action center settings.”
    Click “Problem reporting settings, found near the bottom.
    Choose “Never check for solutions.”
    Click “OK.”

And that’s it! You’ll be error-message-free for the rest of your experience with Windows 7.

3. Disable The Caps Lock Key

It sounds kind of counter-productive, but it’s a journalist’s worst enemy. I don’t use “Caps Lock,” ever. Many people don’t. It’s a superfluous key because of the ever-elegant “Shift” key that sits right below it. In fact, the only times I’ve noticed people using the “Caps Lock” key is when they accidentally pressed it instead of “Shift” and left a whole tangle of capitalized words that gave me the impression that they were hollering at me. Here’s a simple way to disable it.

Open “regedit” by typing the word into the search bar at the Start menu and pressing “Enter.”
    Navigate to

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
    in the left side of the screen. Be very careful about the directory you land on. There’s also a “Keyboard Layouts” (notice the “s” behind the “Layout”?) Make sure you use the “Keyboard Layout” directory (without the “s” at the end).

Add a new value to the key called “Scancode Map.” It should be a “Binary Value.”
    Modify the value to “00000000 00000000 02000000 00003A00 00000000.” Make sure everything is typed correctly. You don’t want to turn your “Enter” key into a “Caps Lock” key.

And you’re done! You will need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

4. Eliminate The Delay In Aero Peek

Aero Peek can be annoying especially when you have to wait for it to show the highlighted application’s content.

Eliminating the delay is a bit complex, but doable. Here’s how:

Open the registry editor (“regedit”) using the same method mentioned in the opening of the last section.
    Navigate to

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    on the left hand side of the window.
    Search for “DesktopLivePreviewHoverTime” on the right side of the window. If you don’t find it, right-click some empty space on that list, go to “New,” and click “DWORD (32-bit) Value.” Once you’re done, or if you found it already, go on to the next step.
    Right-click the value and click “Modify.” Select “Decimal” and edit it as you wish, provided that you understand that you are supposed to provide a measurement in milliseconds. This means that “1000″ is 1 second and “500″ (the default value) is half a second. Set it to “0″ to eliminate the delay and make it instant.

Note: This is going to get really really annoying if you use the bottoms of windows a lot. The “Peek” will immediately come up and disrupt your work. You can always reset the value using the steps in these instructions if you want. The default value is 500.

5. Get Rid Of The Recycle Bin Icon On The Desktop

I don’t know why you would want to do this, but I’ve heard people complaining about how they couldn’t get rid of the Recycle Bin icon on their desktops in Windows 7. The operation is very useful and practical, but it takes a little meddling around to get to it. If you want an icon-free desktop, here’s how you do it:

Right-click the desktop and click “Personalize.” Make sure you don’t right-click on any icons by accident, or this will give you an entirely different menu without the personalize option.
    Click “Change desktop icons” on the upper left corner.
    Clear the checkbox next to “Recycle Bin” and click “OK.”

You’re done!

6. Remove The Irritating “This Device Can Perform Faster” Message

This one’s a bummer for those of you who already know why/how a device can perform faster when you plug it into a USB 1.1 slot. Windows is doing a good job of informing novices whether their devices are plugged into the right slot or not, but you get annoyed by this after a while. Let’s disable it:

Plug in the device that can “perform faster” and wait for the annoying balloon.
    Click the balloon once it appears.
    Eliminate the check mark in the checkbox next to “Tell me if my device can perform faster.”
    Click “OK.”

Show respect to all people, but grovel to none​

Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

svartevarg (07.09.12) , cheetah (06.09.12) , SealLion (05.09.12) , yoco (04.09.12) , Mihai (04.09.12)

Might want to check out this as well for a lot of tweaking options!
    Last edited by Sazzy; 04.09.12 at 21:38.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I did a few of those tweaks and a number of them were registry related. I myself hesitate to install more software just to get some tweaks as I've been trying to eliminate some useless and never often used programs. A number of tweaks I found on the net and many of them I bet I am sure that the program taskbar tweaker does itself.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

Seal, the page actually says the following:

FAQ
    Q: Which registry keys does 7+ Taskbar Tweaker modify? I don’t need extra processes in my system.
    A: The only registry keys the tweaker modifies are it’s own settings. There are no registry keys for the options it provides. The tweaker does that by injecting a DLL to explorer, hooking/subclassing/some other methods of the dark side.
    As for extra processes, the tweaker is a native program, and is very lightweight. It shouldn’t slow down your system, and uses an extremely small amount of memory. Also, you can hide the tray icon if you want.
    So unless they're lying... Anyway, if you can find the same with just a registry tweak, you can just use that instead. But if you install it and use its features, i would hardly call it useless and never used.

The tool works by injecting code into the explorer.exe process and edit its memory.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 05.09.12 at 11:01.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I don't understand. How can I be lying. What I'm saying is that instead of installing a portable piece of software, you can find registry tweaks for Windows 7 online such as eliminating delays. Which is itself found in the 1st post. I did a number of reg tweaks on my laptop that uses Windows 7.

Here is a Google list of reg tweaks.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?...&oe=utf-8&aq=t

There. Ok. Now you know what I'm saying. So it's either that or there is something misunderstood between us both on this topic.
    ordain them laws".

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Thanks

I have to agree with SealLion on this. It may be easier but a lot safer and faster if we do this by hand (sort of speak). Reg files, batches whatever works.
    As for me, I really know windows very well and that's why I don't use tweakers of any kind.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    I don't understand. How can I be lying.
    Not you, "them", as in the guys from the tweak tool. I was just noting that they're saying that they don't regtweak things, the program does it all by altering memory. I completely understood you and wasn't accusing you of anything. I was just saying that installing the program wasn't completely useless as it doesn't just do a regtweak. Sorry for the misunderstanding! If you only want options that are also available from regtweaking and you don't really want another exe, then please, go right ahead! :) Personally, I find this tool a lot easier and less can go wrong (since nothing gets altered except memory, so a reboot should fix all)

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    I have to agree with SealLion on this. It may be easier but a lot safer and faster if we do this by hand (sort of speak). Reg files, batches whatever works.
    As for me, I really know windows very well and that's why I don't use tweakers of any kind.
    Safer as in security? Other than security, I see no issue. I'm also naive so don't think they're trying to steal your data or turn your pc into a botnet ^^
    Last edited by Sazzy; 05.09.12 at 18:57.
    Thanks

Safer as in security? Other than security, I see no issue. I'm also naive so don't think they're trying to steal your data or turn your pc into a botnet ^^
    I mean safe as in keeping the os clean. Just like you said:
    The only registry keys the tweaker modifies are it’s own settings.
    If you can do it yourself, without the need of a tweaker, why wouldn't you?
    Thanks

I mean safe as in keeping the os clean. Just like you said:
    No no :) I said it doesn't touch any registry settings (it only has its own settings in the registry to remember what you set). In the end, it doesn't really matter. I just prefer a way that doesn't actually change any of the settings. For that case, the tweaker is perfect as everything will be the way it was when you don't let the program auto start and reboot your machine, as if nothing ever changed! Following your argument, the tweaker tool would be better suited for your "wants" than editing the registry (editing is not as clean as altering memory imho as that is not a lasting change, editing is).

But in the end, it's all the personal preference!

If you can do it yourself, without the need of a tweaker, why wouldn't you?
    That argument swing in both ways! I think more people would say "Why do it yourself, if you can let something do it for you?". The whole reason that pc's were invented!
    Last edited by Sazzy; 05.09.12 at 22:31.
    Thanks

No no :) I said it doesn't touch any registry settings (it only has its own settings in the registry to remember what you set).
    That IS what I am referring to. It adds it's own registry key to the registry.

I just prefer a way that doesn't actually change any of the settings.
    For that case, the tweaker is perfect as everything will be the way it was when you don't let the program auto start and reboot your machine, as if nothing ever changed!
    Altering memory may generate BSODs or unexpected errors. Not a very safe way to use the explorer shell.

That argument swing in both ways! I think more people would say "Why do it yourself, if you can let something do it for you?". The whole reason that pc's were invented!
    You need to learn to create that 'something' rather than letting someone do it for you.
    And that is what I am doing; I write scripts for everything I need.
    Those people you are refering to have no knowledge of their operating systems whatsoever. If they did, they would be messing around with cleaners and tweakers.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    @Sazzy. I know that you weren't accusing me of any sort of thing. Don't be silly. I think I just misread something. Nevertheless as a German would say it, you were just having some 'Spass' (and even that isn't spelled correctly in German)

I have to say this. So from what I understand is that the tweaking tool alters a PC's memory in order to set a registry tweak wherein it, itself inserts it's own registry setting. Speaking for myself only, I've actually been working at altering the registry to make this PC a bit quicker in boot time and booting down as well as other things that I find are completely unnecesary for the day to day functions that I do with it. And as such, reducing the registry is another thing that I also look at. Most if not all of the registry has to boot up with the computer so in even reducing the registry by 1/2% (unnecessary setting, for example) is good for me. I know it doesn't sound like a whole lot and it probably isn't. But for me it's something.

I also thought of other registry tweaking tools like TweakUI and others of it's kind. And they are not too bad I find. The thing that is about such tweaking tools is their convenience. And that is basically it. Convenience. One learns more of his/her PC when hacking occurs. Hacking, as I'm sure both of your guys are aware of is that it is and can be a good thing. It's the learning aspect of it. And as such you become less and less hesitant to enter into the registry and do what you like there.

Now I'm not propounding to adopt such ideas. Actually what it really is about is 'each to his own''
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

You need to learn to create that 'something' rather than letting someone do it for you.
    And that is what I am doing; I write scripts for everything I need.
    I really don't have the time for that :) I also don't have the brains as I'm too dumb!

Altering memory may generate BSODs or unexpected errors. Not a very safe way to use the explorer shell.
    Meh. :)
    Since a lot of people are using this program and there doesn't seem to be much complaining, I'm pretty sure these programmers know what they're doing :) Still safer than actually altering the explorer shell, I guess.
    Regtweaks can cause that too, as far as i know.

@Sazzy. I know that you weren't accusing me of any sort of thing. Don't be silly. I think I just misread something. Nevertheless as a German would say it, you were just having some 'Spass' (and even that isn't spelled correctly in German)
    Good good :)

I have to say this. So from what I understand is that the tweaking tool alters a PC's memory in order to set a registry tweak wherein it
    Yes. Sort of. It's not really a "registry tweak", but I think you get the point. Imagine that explorer.exe has a variable in memory that contains the time it takes to show the preview when hovering over the taskbar. This program would alter that variable to something else, like for instance a smaller value so it shows faster.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss7977
    Anyone knows how to speed up start up? I have, little older than a year, laptop and at first when it booted to login in screen, after I put in my pass it would just say "welcome" and then go into windows (W7). Now when I put my pass it takes at least 20 seconds to get into windows and then I need to wait for another 20 seconds to load everything so that laptop becomes responsive. It's really annoying!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39444
    You might have a lot of programs starting up with Windows. You can use Autoruns to check this. Defragmenting your disk is also a good idea, specially if you haven't done so in a while (make sure there's at least 10% of free space).
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (06.09.12)

Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    Anyone knows how to speed up start up? I have, little older than a year, laptop and at first when it booted to login in screen, after I put in my pass it would just say "welcome" and then go into windows (W7). Now when I put my pass it takes at least 20 seconds to get into windows and then I need to wait for another 20 seconds to load everything so that laptop becomes responsive. It's really annoying!
    press Windows Key + R -> msconfig -> press OK -> Startup tab -> turn off everything you don't need.
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (06.09.12)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast