+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ed2k traffic 100% filtered by my ISP

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Quote Originally Posted by Renk View Post
    The same peering issues for ISP are hapening with eg MegaUpload: Instead of handling mostly local and ballanced P2P traffic, the ISPs have now to handle very unbalanced traffic to far destinations. And as you initiate the connection to MU, your ISP as too pay peering fees to MU's FAI.
    And that's why they're killing P2P traffic.

I recall that back in the days, some users of the (now dead) local P2P Shaping forum started downloading stuff they didn't want all at the same time, just to waste their ISP's bandwidth.

Thankfully, the number of providers with monhtly bandwidth caps here is almost zero.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    And that's why they're killing P2P traffic.
    Despite the "Shaping Forum" (I didn't know that fun story) I don't understand the "why". For me it's not "why" but "despite that", as P2P -particulary Torrent- is a much more efficient way to distribute data than centralised servers.

Anyway, the peeering issue could become a developpement tool. For example African people have to pay a lot for their, traffic, due (in particular) to peering issue: Much more people from Mauritania initiate connections to servers in the US, than people in the US initiate connection to servers in Mauritania.

So, (let's be utopian) it would be economically good eg for Africa to host big vpn providers and big one-click hosters. The overall traffic between the different parts of the world would be more balanced, african technological development would be boosted, african ISP peering fees would decrease, and many $, £ and € will go to these lands. Moreover, most African countries have not participated to ACTA. Hosting big vpn and DDL servers giving them many $£€ would be very incitative for them to clearly reject this agreement. Finally, it would be difficult for EU and USA to put too big pressure on these countries, because in Africa, western countries are now hardly competiting with China. So, on a strategical -long term- point of view, I think Africa is the location where big sharing services have to be implanted.

Thankfully, the number of providers with monhtly bandwidth caps here is almost zero.
    Could soon happens in the US unfortunately. But then there will be a problem: How to convince people to pay monthly fees for a fiber connection, if they consume all their monthly bandwith in a few minutes ?
    Last edited by Renk; 14.12.10 at 01:12.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    Why they shape traffic?
    This is why they shape P2P in my country: Because most users simply use msn, mail, some youtube and facebook, plus the eventual movie download in BT.
    Most people lack the skills, knowledge or IQ to even understand the concept of traffic shaping. In fact, most people think that it is the P2P program that does not work because it is "fake" (as in illegal, a copy-cat or a scam).
    Furthermore, we are SO used to get scammed and generally tricked in our daily lives that we usually arrive to the conclusion that if something does not work as expected, it is not original or we did not realized what the catch was.
    In fact, my ISP is the only one to my knowledge that follows this practice; but it does not surprise me: it is the cheapest ISP, founded and ran by the major of one of the poorest districts in the province, usually seen as a low quality service due to its non-english/abstract name and overall crappy advertisement,; mostly used by people that just can not afford the same service at 2 times the cost.
    I know for a fact that the company is one of the best when it comes to infrastructure, being its #1 flaw the international routing they use (which I was told is Global Crossing).
    If you measure the speed connection and latency to their servers you always get what you paid for and usually more, but this is, at times, not the case when you go outside their network.
    So, all of that said, most P2P traffic will be international due to most people not using P2P in the country, and therefore a bottleneck for the ISP.
    So even though I condemn shaping, and embrace file sharing, I understand why they might not allow me to perform 100 simultaneous connections to everywhere but my country during the day, when traffic is in the rise.
    I know some of you might think I am crazy but I am very pleased with the service, specially when this is a local ISP, and not a multinational enterprise (which I dealt with numerous times and got scammed to the point of absolute frustration).
    The only troubling aspect for me, is that this major is a known druglord, which owns not only the ISP (which also provides cable service), but a couple of radio stations and channels; and incredibly a somewhat prestigious university where there is a "restricted" area next to the train tracks (where is said to slow down during night to receive some...."cargo")

About the emule protocol obfuscation:
    Protocol encryption is one of the most requested features for emule which is for some reason constantly pushed away if not ignored by the emule project team. I do not know why.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

anon (14.12.10)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Quote Originally Posted by desodorante View Post
    Stuff
    I saved a link to this thread in my flashdrive to visit it now from my netbook and post, but why bothering when you've already done that for me. Also, I'll confess the way you wrote about the train receiving "cargo" made me smile. I don't know why, it just did.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    So, (let's be utopian) it would be economically good eg for Africa to host big vpn providers and big one-click hosters. The overall traffic between the different parts of the world would be more balanced, african technological development would be boosted, african ISP peering fees would decrease, and many $, £ and € will go to these lands. Moreover, most African countries have not participated to ACTA. Hosting big vpn and DDL servers giving them many $£€ would be very incitative for them to clearly reject this agreement. Finally, it would be difficult for EU and USA to put too big pressure on these countries, because in Africa, western countries are now hardly competiting with China. So, on a strategical -long term- point of view, I think Africa is the location where big sharing services have to be implanted.
    I don't think utopian even starts to describe what you are talking about. You are forgetting that Africa barely has water (let alone drinkable water), scarse food, almost no electrical grid, tribal and civil wars, virtually no education system, no roads, out of control diseases, extreme weather, etc etc etc.
    How can you possibly think that hosting servers there will be not only possible but solve absolutely any of their problems?
    We are just too used to have a somewhat decent life where we do not fear to starve, or be tortured or killed by an army of men; and suddenly we believe they should host our crap for us to keep on using massive amounts of power and data.
    Did you know that half the world does not have DRINKABLE WATER?....and that most of Africa has a diet in which the banana is the #1 source of protein? And that the variety sold worldwide (Cavendish) is not only under threat of extinction due to an illness but has no replacement?
    Did you know that even 80 year old women are raped by "soldiers" in Africa?
    Did you know that the USA massively and openly supported rebel groups all over Africa just to throw down any government they felt would not cooperate with them?
    And that Cuba sent troops to a ton of this revolutions on their own, without ANY involvement from Russia? (So no one can play the Cold War card here)

And you say they should run server farms.....of which they do not manufacture any part, nor have qualified workers to run, in an electrical grid that does not exist, in a city that is under constant attack by rebel groups, under extreme conditions...

Africa is a continent that the entire world made sure to leave behind; it is where the minerals that make most chips come from, where oil comes from, where diamonds, gold and other precios minerals come from...yet is the trashbin of the world, and their people live WORST than they did 200 years ago.

To sum up, let me say this: "“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime"

Renk, I am sorry, this is not intent as a rant of rage to you, but I simply find you idea too surreal and occidental-biased not to be torn down to pieces.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

anon (14.12.10)

P2P Client
    NoComplete_NoReport-Seeder
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss265
    Quote Originally Posted by WzT View Post
    My ISP block Bittorrent like hell. Do not ask your ISP about P2P, they will keep eyes on you. uTP is the best for now.
    Sorry but what does uTP means? uTorrent?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

hearthrob (06.01.11)

P2P Client
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss265
    Before this moment, the only way I see is to use a vpn (allowing port forwarding of course). Best imo is a TCP Openvpn using port 443 (very difficult to filter). So you will not only be able to properly use emule, but you can also get a kind of revenge. Because, suppose your ISP is in Italia and the vpn server you use in Hong Kong. In using the vpn for eMuling, you increase the peering fees your ISP has to pay to your vpn's ISP. It's something about what the ISP are only thinking when it's troo late (ieafter many users have migrated on vpn solutions): With classic P2P, most of the trafic happens locally, and the peering fees are low. But when the customers are incitated to proxyfy their traffic, data from Italia to Italia has to go from Italia to Panama, from Panama to Hong Kong, and from Hong Kong to Italia.

The same peering issues for ISP are hapening with eg MegaUpload: Instead of handling mostly local and ballanced P2P traffic, the ISPs have now to handle very unbalanced traffic to far destinations. And as you initiate the connection to MU, your ISP as too pay peering fees to MU's FAI.

They would have had to think a little more about that, before acting as if P2P were the devil.
    Hi Renk, if I may ask, which VPN supplier is the best for P2P and torrenting? And what does peering means?

I have just returned to my beloved home country after being away for several years and guess what? The first thing I did when I came back is subscribed to a broadband service and I was so delighted at the 100mbps cable available for home usage. So I signed up immediately only to find out that it allows me to torrent at no more than 10KB/s; FTP download at 200KB/s; and HTTP download at 2BM/s. I mean, I should be getting close to 10MB/s downloading on theory but the bad ISP (as I now finally seen the wolf behind sheep's clothing) has shaped traffic in such a way that I can only use the broadband for web surfing....unscrupulous, evil, shitty, ISP....

So is VPN the only way out for me? I would believe this bad ISP even kept an eye on heavy usage accounts.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39452
    "Peering" per se means an agreement between two networks or providers to exchange traffic between them free of charge. Some people use the term to denote the speed of data transfer between two points. (Good peering = fast, bad peering = slow)

VPN sounds like the only solution, but did you try forced encryption for your torrents? At most, you'll have only lost a few minutes of your time. I can't recommend a VPN provider in particular, but in general, what you want is a server on a fast, dedicated line that's geographically close to you.

Oh, and by the way, it's better if you multi-quote the posts you want to comment on, and then make a single post with all the replies. Thanks.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss265
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    "Peering" per se means an agreement between two networks or providers to exchange traffic between them free of charge. Some people use the term to denote the speed of data transfer between two points. (Good peering = fast, bad peering = slow)

VPN sounds like the only solution, but did you try forced encryption for your torrents? At most, you'll have only lost a few minutes of your time. I can't recommend a VPN provider in particular, but in general, what you want is a server on a fast, dedicated line that's geographically close to you.

Oh, and by the way, it's better if you multi-quote the posts you want to comment on, and then make a single post with all the replies. Thanks.
    Sure anon, I'll multi-quote the posts whenever possible.

I did force encryption and it did work to bypass ISP throttling in China but not in my home country where I am now located. Got to do more research to find out suitable VPN providers that does not limit torrenting.... new life, new beginning, new challenges....
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Nothing ATM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss303
    I think you should look for an offshore VPN provider which is outside of the data retention laws. They can't be forced to log user activity.
    One example is VPN4all.com. They have an exemplary privacy policy.
    I haven't used them so I don't know if they limit P2P, but they tolerate it on several servers.
    Price is maximum 10 euro/month.

They don't offer RPF yet, but plan to in the future.
    ----------------
    That was not entirely correct.
    After asking them about it they said that a few static ports are open on their servers.
    Although not among the prefered torrent ports
    Last edited by Grambo; 10.01.11 at 23:36.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12