Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977

Gnomeo & Juliet

Release Date: February 11, 2011
    Studio: Touchstone Pictures
    Director: Kelly Asbury
    Screenwriter: Rob Sprackling, John R. Smith, Kevin Cecil, Andy Riley, Mark Burton
    Starring: James McAvoy, Emily Blunt, Michael Caine, Jason Statham, Maggie Smith, Patrick Stewart, Ashley Jensen, Stephen Merchant, Matt Lucas, Jim Cummings, Julie Walters, Richard Wilson, Ozzy Osbourne
    Genre: Action, Adventure, Animation, Family, Romance
    The greatest love story ever told, starring...garden gnomes? In "Gnomeo & Juliet," Shakespeare's revered tale gets a comical, off-the-wall makeover. Directed by Kelly Asbury (co-director of "Shrek 2") and showcasing both classic and original songs by Elton John, the film features the voices of James McAvoy and Emily Blunt as Gnomeo and Juliet, who have as many obstacles to overcome as their quasi namesakes when they are caught up in a feud between neighbors. But with plastic pink flamingos and thrilling lawnmower races in the mix, can this young couple find a happy ending?
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (22.09.10)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    war, competition, pedophilia (little red riding hood & bearded older gnome who 'got stuck' in a tight spot), drugs (mushrooms), occult (gnome, g-nome, genome, paracelsus, alchemy), dialectics (red vs. blue) and so on

still think its entertaining and suitable for children?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    war, competition, pedophilia (little red riding hood & bearded older gnome who 'got stuck' in a tight spot), drugs (mushrooms), occult (gnome, g-nome, genome, paracelsus, alchemy), dialectics (red vs. blue) and so on

still think its entertaining and suitable for children?
    Well, kids will hardly get most of that. I remember laughing out loud at Benny Hill when I was a toddler and got a bit of a shock when I saw it again as an adult (Though it became even more enjoyable!)
    Besides, this movies are hardly made for kids, they are targeted at the kids' parents. The adult subjects are vague and insinuated and not that graphically shown.
    That way the parents can enjoy the movie as much their kids.
    Summing up: kids will laugh at the infantile jokes and obliterate the adult parts while adults will do the opposite.
    And yes it is an intentionally crafted commercial exploit of the human psychology designed by greedy corporations that lobby the government to look in the other direction and maintain the masses happy while taking their money (I know you are going to say that so let me do it for you )
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Well, kids will hardly get most of that.
    it doesn't matter, as long as it gets comfortably nested in their subconscious with all the relevant associations/connections that the movie embeds - thats why it works so well, most kids or parents don't consciously analyze it, they just have fun and let it sink in

Besides, this movies are hardly made for kids, they are targeted at the kids' parents.
    Genre: Animation, Family + probably the lowest unrestricted rating, which part is not targeting kids here?

I know you are going to say that so let me do it for you
    well, someone has to since for some reason most don't even mention such 'trivialities'
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post
    it doesn't matter, as long as it gets comfortably nested in their subconscious with all the relevant associations/connections that the movie embeds - thats why it works so well, most kids or parents don't consciously analyze it, they just have fun and let it sink in

Genre: Animation, Family + probably the lowest unrestricted rating, which part is not targeting kids here?

well, someone has to since for some reason most don't even mention such 'trivialities'
    Hehe, those are not trivialities in deed.
    About the genre: that has nothing to do with it, in fact, if the movie was advertised as 13+ (whatever that ranking is called), most parents will not take their children to the movie, besides, they hardly check that out. Also, the "information" they have about the movie is nothing more than a trailer and some ads here and there in the streets. That is how their attention is captured, how they get to see a "funny" kids movie that they can enjoy too. This is something like parents trying to make their children like the same things they like. It is just marketing in my opinion.
    Personally I do not think the adult subjects in these movies "nest" in the children minds. Some might, but not all, just check it against your own memories (Whatever caught your attention back then will be imprinted in your mind, even if it was something at a subconscious level)
    Furthermore, there are children movies that hardly have "real-world" adult subjects and had a terribly worst effect in children (Think of Disney movies). And even more: I do not believe it is better to avoid these subjects as they WILL get to know them and live them when they grow up (But that doesn't mean I approve the greedy intentions behind this sort of film)

BTW, I think this film is totally lame, even for kids!
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    That is how their attention is captured, how they get to see a "funny" kids movie that they can enjoy too. This is something like parents trying to make their children like the same things they like. It is just marketing in my opinion.
    actually i'd say its more likely that the kids would notice the movie ads spinning on tv, expressing their wish to the parents who might briefly check the trailer or imdb page and naively agree to watch it

considering how much just those 2,5 minutes gave away one may expect much more during 1,5 hour of it

Personally I do not think the adult subjects in these movies "nest" in the children minds. Some might, but not all,
    sure, it also depends on the individual, but make no mistake these kinds of things are being (and have been) thoroughly researched as big money goes into the marketing department of this industry - the profit is only an obvious goal, yet far from being the only significant priority

I do not believe it is better to avoid these subjects as they WILL get to know them and live them when they grow up
    well, as much as one might try it can't really be avoided (and thats usually not a good way to solve issues anyways), what can be done is to minimize exposure, emphasize different contents/media/activities, educate kids to observe more carefully/critically what is being served to them and so on
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread