+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 4 is coming !!!!

Firefox 4 is coming !!!!

I stumbleupon this video a while back but i read a new info about it today...

Top 20 Features Of Firefox 4 (Beta) That Make It Stand Out | Free and Useful Online Resources for Designers and Developers

The beta for Firefox version 4 was recently released and it has already created a buzz on the web. While many of its features will already demonstrated in its nightly builds, the beta more widely showcases these new features.

Release notes for Firefox v4 outline all the features which web developers and ordinary internet users will find helpful. To know what exactly these features are, read on:

* Tabs are now on top by default on Windows only – OSX and Linux will be changing when the theme has been modified to support the change.

Tabs

* On Windows Vista and Windows 7 the menu bar has been replaced with the Firefox button.
    * You can search for and switch to already open tabs in the Smart Location Bar

customize

* New Addons Manager and extension management API (UI will be changed before final release)
    * Significant API improvements are available for JS-ctypes, a foreign function interface for extensions.

firefox4

* The stop and reload buttons have been merged into a single button on Windows, Mac and Linux.
    * The Bookmarks Toolbar has been replaced with a Bookmarks Button by default (you can switch it back if you’d like).
    * Crash protection for Windows, Linux, and Mac when there is a crash in the Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime or Microsoft Silverlight plugins.
    * CSS Transitions are partially supported.
    * Full WebGL support is included but disabled by default at this time.
    * Core Animation rendering model for plugins on Mac OS X. Plugins which also support this rendering model can now draw faster and more efficiently.
    * Native support for the HD HTML5 WebM video format.
    * An experimental Direct2D rendering backend is available on Windows, turned off by default.
    * Web developers can use Websockets for a low complexity, low latency, bidirectional communications API.
    * Web developers can update the URL field without reloading the page using HTML History APIs.
    * More responsive page rendering using lazy frame construction.
    * Link history lookup is done asynchronously to provide better responsiveness during pageload.
    * CSS :visited selectors have been changed to block websites from being able to check a user’s browsing history.
    * New HTML5 parser.
    * Support for more HTML5 form controls.

As you can see, many interface changes have been made to make usage a lot more user friendly. At the same time, great web development features have been added with a special focus on HTML 5. For a full list of features for developers, you can click here.

Firefox enthusiasts, who are interested in what else Firefox has to offer, can get the unofficial beta 2 of Firefox v4; this beta is available from FTP server and is a follow-up to the current publicly available beta. Beta 2 offers even more features however has addons disabled by default, to prevent addon-related browser crashes. To enable addons support in Firefox v4 beta 2, install the “Add-on Compatibility Eeporter” addon, then restart Firefox twice. Type in “about:addons” in the URL bar which will open up the Addon Manager and let you use addons.

Cooler , 'Beautiful'er , 'Secure'er....

Can't wait for the stable release...I just hope all my add-ons stay compatible...
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Cerberus (31.07.10) , Vuze-Sbi (31.07.10)

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    I have been using the beta since b1, giving feedback, and testing (using it as we speak) and they are very responsive.

It looks good, much much faster than 3.6, most my addons work on it, and well it is actually better than Chrome and Opera in that it is less buggy as chrome, as light and hast as both, and has extensions and addons which Opera is not very open to.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss48
    I've been willing to update but foxyproxy isn't compatible with it yet :(
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39444
    Quote Originally Posted by Donatas View Post
    foxyproxy isn't compatible with it yet :(
    Even after editing the XPI file and all that?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss552
    it's always the same. every new update to Firefox "is coming"
    blasting youtube and the web with how it's gonna be so much better..

..and they're eating it over and over again
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss171
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
    it's always the same. every new update to Firefox "is coming"
    blasting youtube and the web with how it's gonna be so much better..

..and they're eating it over and over again
    Yep, and i believe there will be a lot of addon compability issues and so on...
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss29
    Quote Originally Posted by dju View Post
    Yep, and i believe there will be a lot of addon compability issues and so on...
    Not if their authors update them.

Also, I have been seeing Firefox 4 come up in plenty articles lately, and just for the heck of it - I tried it. Honestly, it seems so different from 3.6, so I'm not sure if I'm ready and willing to upgrade now.
    Thanks

Its pretty easy to make add-ons compatible...

The biggest issue,though,as with any other software that is still in testing phase is stability and unpredictability....
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss48
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Even after editing the XPI file and all that?
    I just tried that. It worked for beta 1, but not beta 2.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss171
    Lets hope that it is gonna be a great update. I tried that beta on both windows and linux and i didn't like it, because i wasn't able to customize it perfectly for me as i did with 3.6.8. Well i'm sure thats because it isn't finished jet and it's in early beta stage.
    I like FF, but i still keep Chrome as my secondary browser to do other things. Chrome launches and works faster acutally and isn't loaded up full with addons :) I use it for doing bank stuff etc., but i keep my FF safe with noscript and use it for everything else that's on the net :)

A lot of ppl have switched to chrome recently just because it works faster and it's more lightweight and more easier to use. It works better on old pc's and consumes less RAM and other resources. Let's hope Mozilla will make FF faster than Google's browser this time.
    Last edited by dju; 31.07.10 at 20:38.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    4/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Lets hope that it is gonna be a great update. I tried that beta on both windows and linux and i didn't like it, because i wasn't able to customize it perfectly for me as i did with 3.6.8.
    how so?

Chrome launches and works faster acutally and isn't loaded up full with addons :)
    hehe, well, that's hardly the fault of the browser

A lot of ppl have switched to chrome recently just because it works faster and it's more lightweight and more easier to use. It works better on old pc's and consumes less RAM and other resources. Let's hope Mozilla will make FF faster than Google's browser this time.
    thinking of all the spyware included chrome would never be an option for me. and as with opera they have to get much more addons to be able to compete with the mozilla things
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss171
    Well i didn't like the beta, because i wasn't able to install almost any addons i need for everyday use, but i know that the final version will be waay better and everyone will upgrade to it and use it. The design and tabs on top were smart and good looking.
    Every browser pretends to be the fastest. Every new update makes something "faster" at least they tell you so and you must believe. I didn't use opera, because im too lazy to check the new version out right now and 3 browsers on one pc doesn't make much sense. But the fact Chrome uses less resources of PC is noticeable in task manager, clean FF install uses 2-3 Megs more than fresh installation of Chrome. Don't know about opera. One thing i didn't like about opera- smooth scrolling enabled by default, on 60hz screens it looks awful, on 120hz ones it looks fabulous :)
    Why do you think there is spyware included in chrome? During the installation it wants to install that f**king Ask toolbar, but uTorrent and ccleaner does the same. Just untick to install that crap onto ur PC...
    By the way the new opera mobile 10 is a great browser on a smartphone, opera mini 5 rocks too, on j2me enabled phones ofc
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    4/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Well i didn't like the beta, because i wasn't able to install almost any addons i need for everyday use,
    that's normal but has nothing to do with the quality of the browser. there're also ways to get the addons in anyway

Why do you think there is spyware included in chrome?
    hehehe, because it IS!!
    it's not a secret, just browse some sites to get exact details of what's submitted and where that's written in the code.
    one example: http://www.srware.net/en/software_sr...me_vs_iron.php
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    A simple way to add all addons to a non-final version of Firefox is to use this add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/15003/

It is true though that beta 2 is less compatible than beta 1, sadly.
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

Instab (01.08.10)

P2P Client
    Vuze
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss171
    Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    hehehe, because it IS!!
    it's not a secret, just browse some sites to get exact details of what's submitted and where that's written in the code.
    one example: SRWare Iron - The Browser of the Future
    lol, you scared me i will gonna try opera. But one thing i like about chrome is that it saves a lot of space on screen by placing the tabs in the titlebar, on my laptop with 15,4 inch screen it's a bit improvement and i can see a little bit more information that way, but on my desktop 24' i dont care actually where the tabs are
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast