Michael Pachter has said online multiplayer will become subscription based as publishers looks for ways to make more money out of the consumer.

Speaking on the latest episode of his GameTrailers show Pach Attacks, the Wedbush Morgan analyst said companies such as EA will begin to charge players a monthly fee to play online.

“I think EA will migrate to an online subscription model, so instead of paying $10 for an online pass, I think EA will charge $5 or $10 a month which will give the player the ability to play any of the companies sports games online.”

Pachter then went on to say even if a subscription model does come into play, it won’t affect the profits of EA Sports games.

“You know I think they will be fine if 1-2 million do that [pay for subscription] and they will be fine if other 10-20 million people who play EA Sports games keep buying new games,” said Pachter.

“The moral of the story is game and used game purchasers just have to accept online multiplayer is going subscription. Publishers just can’t afford to give this stuff away for free, its cannibalising new game sales and used game sales.”

Activision is already planning to charge for Modern Warfare 2 according to the analyst, something that was thought to be coming via a leaked video during the week.

Call of Duty developers Infinity Ward and Treyarch debunked the rumour, though

“The idea you can buy Call of Duty and play online forever for free is crazy.. Activision is going to charge for it,” Pachter said firmly.

Source: VG247 » Blog Archive » Pachter: Online multiplayer is going subscription