+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nick and security. What you think about that ?

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39447
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathless View Post
    if you want be anonimous use I2P (I2P ? I remember right ?) or another anonimous network. For example iMule use that network.
    Indeed it's called I2P and iMule runs on that anonymous network, but it can only connect to other iMules.

TempHK01 was wrong when he said he was a noob - I see intelligent discussion here, and I'm in a giving mood, so I just reversed his spam warning :) Do well.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    some sexymode
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss234
    Quote Originally Posted by TempHK01 View Post
    but you can use that service on emule?
    I mean this is a SW that you have to install to connect to a secure VPN? and you know if they save the logs of the connection?
    because if they save the logs, maybe some ISPs can request them to identify you

P.S.: it's free?
    it is not free
    end yes it is working with emule
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent/transmission
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss20
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Indeed it's called I2P and iMule runs on that anonymous network, but it can only connect to other iMules.

TempHK01 was wrong when he said he was a noob - I see intelligent discussion here, and I'm in a giving mood, so I just reversed his spam warning :) Do well.
    Thanks for treating me not a noob but even if I'm a telecomunication engineer this field are more of Informatics. I study only a little bit of P2P network in one course but a lot of cryptographic technique and IPSec. So what can I say is that if you use a communication via VPN secured with IPSec nobody in you country (or for precision in the middle of the tunnel created by the VPN) can spoof what you are UPLoading or DONWLoading because it's all encrypted. Maybe you guys already knows this but I think that a VPN service can provide some protection and if the provider of the service really don't save the logs of the connection, you are practically in a barrel of iron (I don't know in the translation from Italian is correct XD). The only downside is that you must give up part of the bandwith of your connection in most cases, because these services even if you pay for that, do not guarantee a considerable bandwidth.
    I'm saying this for personal experience with one of this service VPN providers (like 4€/month for the VPN access).
    If anyone else have a better experience please tell us the name of the provider XD

P.S: Maybe I went a bit too off-topic here ;-)
    Last edited by TempHK01; 28.07.10 at 22:46.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

piratemeister (28.07.10)

So in final, for you people, if I set my nick in eMule, and I have posted copyright protected files with this nick, can be a problem ?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39447
    Maybe. Act as if it was.

I've always used the default nick. Never saw the need to change it.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss581
    Quote Originally Posted by IlSoldato View Post
    Hello
    I open this thread to know what you think of nick eMule
    then ... I'm a releaser and put my files on a board Italian and I was advised not to use the same nick on the board emule because it is so easily traceable releaser

I ask this question for the operation Fake Community Nick Addon you think I should use the default nick on eMule, or is not a risk set TheDeathless, the name wich I use on the italian board ?

Thank @all in advance
    I think it's at risk. Certainly nicknames aren't a legal proof. Even IP is questionnable (eg if you have a dynamic IP, or if someone hacks your wifi access). But as some other members said, correlation could be made. More precisely, having the same non widely used nickname may help to do some correlations. Nickname give some bit of informations about you. And don't forget: Knowing you are italian, less than 26 bits are sufficient to perfectly identify you. In order to be stealth, you have to try to not differenciate yourself from others.

What is true for Nickname is true for emule user's ID: Not a legal proof of course, but an entry point to perform correlations, leading to focus in order to profile you.

I think in order to be as anonymous as possible, you have to regularly change you RSA key, your IP (in such a way that each of these IP is difficult to attribute to you, eg VPN (*)), the files you share, and to use a widely used (and then insignificant) nickname such that http ://emule-project.net.

[paranoïd mode := exponential]
    (*) Don't forget: IF your VPN connections are logged (and it's safer to assume they are), you can easily be identified as son as you use the same vpn for filesharing and for connecting eg to personnal webmails. So the better is to have a dedicated PC for filesharing behind a reputable vpn, a PC with whole disk encryption, which you never use to connect to something linked to your true identity, a PC connecting to the internet through a shared IP VPN, with mac address spoofing (and better through a double shared IP VPN, with 2 differents vpn, in 2 different countries that are unlikely to cooperate), payed in an anonymous way (eg through Tor) with prepaid cards bought with cash in cities far away from the location you are living.
    [paranoid mode := basic]

Very interesting:

SPYmule is an eMule client which offers a WHOIS query and an IP logging database to detect file sharing users in the eDonkey2000 network.
    Couldn't this kind of tool be used to detect spy people ? For example, normal a file is shared on the network through many hashes. A normal user is requesting the network for only one of them. But antip2p people are sending many requests concerning the different ashes of the same file. This behaviour, if detected, may help to identify them (IP + UserID).
    Last edited by Renk; 05.01.11 at 02:56.
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

piratemeister (05.01.11)

Thanks for your big explanation Renk. I will set default.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39447
    Quote Originally Posted by Renk View Post
    Couldn't this kind of tool be used to detect spy people ? For example, normal a file is shared on the network through many hashes. A normal user is requesting the network for only one of them. But antip2p people are sending many requests concerning the different ashes of the same file. This behaviour, if detected, may help to identify them (IP + UserID).
    What do you mean with different hashes of the same file?
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12