+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 25TB titanium oxide 'super discs' in the works?

P2P Client
    OMG v2.3 Hax Edition
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss19
    Wow, this is really interesting to hear. I was thinking about making the shift to Blu-Ray soon, but seeing how BD-R's are still somewhat expensive. I no longer burn my media to discs, instead I keep them on my hard drives. I bought two more 2TB hard drives, and at the moment have 8TBs of space. Man, I remember download 2GB was a whole lot, now I tend to download HD movies, so it really requires me to pump up that extra space.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Those disks are a long way off from making their way to your home...

But the progress that have been made this year are tremendous...

I'm sure you know of transition of technology that has been going on and the sea change that will occur from the 1st trimester of next year...

FYI - 2011 will see biggest hard drive change in decades! | Geek with Laptop

There hasn’t been a great deal of news about it so far but soon our hard drives will never be the same again.

At the moment, our hard disc drives are formatted into 512 byte size blocks and have been that way for years but as from the first quarter of next year hard drive suppliers will start shipping hard drives with 4 K disc sizes.

All hard drive suppliers have agreed to adopt the 4 K size by the end of January next year through the International Disk Drive Equipment and Materials Association (IDEMA).
    The biggest hard drives that are available for pc use I believe are

Seagate Breaks Capacity Ceiling With World’s First 3 Terabyte External Desktop Drive – Media Center

SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif. – June 29, 2010 – Putting more terabytes in the hands of consumers worldwide, Seagate (NASDAQ: STX), the leader in hard drives and storage solutions, today announced the world’s first 3 Terabyte (TB) external desktop drive. Available immediately, the 3TB FreeAgent® GoFlex™ Desk external hard drive helps to meet the explosive worldwide demand for digital content storage in both the home and the office. With 3TB of capacity people can store up to 120 HD movies, 1,500 video games, thousands of photos or countless hours of digital music.

Samsung's faster EcoGreen F4EG hard drive does 2TB for less -- Engadget

Samsung latest 3.5-inch EcoGreen desktop hard disk does with three platters what its F3EG did with four: obtain a 2TB capacity.
    Obviously then Hitachi has to have a say in it

4TB hard drive: Hitachi preps for launch | KitGuru

We’ve all got our ‘I remember when they launched the X capacity drive’ stories. Some memories begin with the 5MB Winchesters, while others didn’t start noticing that size does matter until Hitachi and Seagate went neck and neck over the line to launch the 1TB drive in May 2007.

Hitachi is now readying plans to unveil the 4TB Mars drive before the year is out.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss171
    One terabyte is good for me as long i dont make movie or music collections. I download stuff, watch it, cheat on it for a while, then delete and get something new. If you make a collection of something, you should probably deal with bigger capacity, 25TB would be freaking awesome . Also if you are doing some stuff with video or audio like rendering, editing etc., it's great. 1TB is enough for everyday use in my opinion.
    I can fill my 1TB pretty quickly with Bluray HD movies, dont know how would it be with 25x bigger HDD

And that material should be cheap so probably a lot of computer users might get this kind on HDD's in the future.
    Last edited by dju; 07.08.10 at 11:41.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123