P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss552

How to create an XviD BRrip from a 720p mkv

Hello
    In this guide I will explain how to make a BRRips like you see in a lot of torrent trackers.
    I'll explain here how to take a 720p BluRay mkv file and transform it to a XviD HQ BRRip.
    These rips are very high quality and can be played on your Standalone DVD, PS3 and XBOX360.
    You can choose your rip size and resolution (up to 480p for standalone DVD and 720p for PS3 and X360)
    There are softwares that can make it automatic but you can't control the outcome too much.

You will need a few softwares:
    1) MKVextractGUI which can be found in MKVtoolnix MKVtoolnix - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com
    2) eac3to (to decode DTS and AC3 audio and encode) eac3to - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com
    3) AviSynth Avisynth - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com
    4) VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod Virtualdub - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com, VirtualdubMOD - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com
    also make sure that matroska splitter is installed and that you can view MKV files correctly, and AC3Filter.

Here are the steps:

1) You will need to extract the audio out of your MKV file.
    Open MKVextractGUI and input your MKV file.
    Select only the audio file which can a DTS or AC3 file.

Press extract and wait for it to finish.
    You will have another file in your folder now. a DTS or AC3 audio (According to your mkv file)

You can now choose if to keep the quality of the audio as it is or to downgrade to a lower quality.
    In this guide I will explain how to downgrade DTS audio to 384 kbps AC3 audio.
    You can choose different audio bitrates of an ac3 file from 640 to 448, 384 etc.
    Or you can keep the DTS audio but that is not recommended because it takes up to 1 GB of file size which is a lot.

2) This might look tricky but it's EASY.Encoding the audio.
    If your audio is already in the quality you want (for example AC3 and 640kbps just move on to step 3)
    If you can't stand writing one small command in command prompt you can also download eac3to gui here [ame=http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=135095]Eac3to and More GUI - Doom9's Forum[/ame]
    Otherwise Open command prompt (Run --> cmd) and type in the path for your eac3to exe file followed by the parameters. (tip - you can just drag the exe file to the window and it will show the path)
    Now this is the command you will need to type.

Code:
    eac3to.exe -input.dts -output.ac3 -resampleTo48000 -down16 -384

Instead of input.dts type the full path to your dts or ac3 file you wish to encode.
    Instead of output.ac3 type the full path of the output ac3 file.

The -384 is your choice.. it can be 640 for maximum quality, 448, 384 and so on..

Example of a command:
    Code:
    "C:\eac3to\eac3to.exe" "E:\Track2.dts" "E:\output.ac3" -resampleTo48000 -down16 -384
    Let it finish.

3) Once finished you have the encoded audio and need to encode the video and combine the two.
    Create a new text document which will be our avisynth script in the mkv directory.
    It will say:
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("Source.mkv", fps=SourceFPS, convertfps=true)
    Lanczos4Resize(NEW,RES)
    "Source.mkv" = full path to your MKV file.
    SourceFPS = the FPS of the original MKV file (can be found with Media Player Classic, G Spot, or MediaInfo)
    (NEW,RES) = specify here the resolution of your choice.. and make sure it is in the same ratio as before. let me explain.
    if you have a video and the ratio is 16:9 you need to keep that ratio.
    if your resolution is 1280:720 and you want an 480p video (maximum resolution for a standalone dvd), in order to keep the ratio you go for the maximum width which is 720 and by that you calculate the heigth.
    you need to calculate your ratio (1280/720) and then divide your maximum width with that ratio: 720/(16/9) or... just google this "720/(1280/720) and you will get your hieght.

example: you have a video with 1280:556 if you want 480p you will write (720/312) as your resolution.. why? 720 for maximum width and to know the height that goes with it according to the ratio:
    the calculation is 720/(1280/556) = 312.

An example of a script:
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("amityville.horror.2005.720p.hdtv.x264-thor.mkv", fps=23.976, convertfps=true)
    Lanczos4Resize(720,404)
    4) Now the video configuration part.
    Open your avisynth with virtualdubmod.

Press Stream --> Stream list.
    Now press add and choose the audio you created or the audio you extracted and didn't encode. (AC3)
    Choose the first stream and click Disable.
    You will reach this screen:

Press okay and click Video --> Compression.
    Choose XviD MPEG 4 and click Configure.

At Encoding Type select 2 Pass - first pass, click "more.. " and write stats filename "1pass.stats"

At the Profile @ Level click More.. and follow the picture

At Quality Preset click more.. and follow the picture.

Click File --> Save As and type 1stpass, select (tick) "Don't run this job now..."

Go again to Video --> Compression.
    Choose XviD MPEG 4 and click Configure.
    At Encoding Type select 2 Pass - second pass.
    The other configuration should be the same but just in case:
    At the Profile @ Level click More.. and follow the picture

At the Target Bitrate click Calc.. and type in the data according to your movie.. (not available in first pass)
    The length, the target of size desired (let's say for 2.2 GB file write 2300000), the FPS, and the bitrate of the audio.

At Quality Preset click more.. and follow the picture.

Click File --> Save As and type 2ndpass, select (Tick) "Don't run this job now..."

Now go to File --> Job Control.
    You will see the 2 passes you just set to create and the 1st pass is before the 2nd.
    Press start and let VDubMod do it's thing..
    When finished you will have 2 files.. 1stpass.avi and 2ndpass.avi
    The 2ndpass.avi is the final file with everything we want - AC3 sound with HQ video.

I tried to write this guide so even not encoding professionals could create their own high quality rips..
    if you have any questions you are welcomed to ask!
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Lucius (08.07.15) , Phoenisex88 (24.04.15) , Ocupator (26.04.11) , Mihai (29.06.10) , tokiodrift1 (29.06.10) , kazuya (19.03.10) , yoco (19.03.10) , grebetu (19.03.10) , shawshankraj (19.03.10) , shoulder (19.03.10) , kelly (19.03.10) , saebrtooth (19.03.10) , qik5l (18.03.10) , RX8 (18.03.10) , anon (18.03.10)

P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150
    This is a very detailed tut and thanks

I have a question. Wont re-encoding reduce the quality even further from the original?

However, its a good work around if u wanna play ur movies directly on ps3 and xbox
    dont ban me just spank me
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

Candicemob (29.11.21)

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss552
    Quote Originally Posted by saebrtooth View Post
    This is a very detailed tut and thanks

I have a question. Wont re-encoding reduce the quality even further from the original?

However, its a good work around if u wanna play ur movies directly on ps3 and xbox
    of course it will reduce the quality..
    an MKV file contains (usually) the x264 codec which is superior to the XviD in terms of quality and compression.. you get better quality and for less size with mkv.
    so when encoding MKV-x264 to AVI-XviD you will reduce the quality.
    BUT the MKV is already in the highest quality and with BRRips with big file size = high bitrate (3000-5000) the quality will be so good that you will notice slight change in quality..

it's THE answer to playing the highest possible quality on your X360 and PS3 since they both can't play the MKVs we usually get..
    Thanks

P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150
    Quote Originally Posted by shmizan View Post
    it's THE answer to playing the highest possible quality on your X360 and PS3 since they both can't play the MKVs we usually get..
    I agree and thats why I mentioned it
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1308
    Thanks...It's very useful Guide...But I think it's going to take a more time to do encode..

What's average encoding time as a noob i am asking this question?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150
    If ura noob and still want good quality or varying selectable quality but still want automation then try DivX Author.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss552
    Quote Originally Posted by shawshankraj View Post
    Thanks...It's very useful Guide...But I think it's going to take a more time to do encode..

What's average encoding time as a noob i am asking this question?
    let's see.. assuming you don't have the above apps - downloading - 2 minutes.
    extracting audio - 2 minutes.
    encoding the audio - 35 minutes but you're free to do other stuff while it works.
    writing avi script - 20 seconds?
    working with vdubmod and encoding the video + adding audio = 2 minutes of configuration, 20 minutes for 1st pass, 90 minutes for second pass.

a total of 151 minutes = 2 hours and a half.

if you're a total noob and want everything to be automatic you can use this great app: mkv2avi - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com
    like I said it won't let you configure everything you want and you can't control the outcome in 100% (an example - I tried to make 4 GB size avi and I got 1.8 GB instead, while by my guide I could make 3.6 GB)
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

shawshankraj (19.03.10) , saebrtooth (19.03.10)

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss552
    seems I can't edit my post but I did find a GUI for eac3to which I believe make a lot of things simpler for some of you guys.. I've attached it
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dreamer; 05.04.10 at 02:30.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    4/5 ssss39385
    You can't edit your post after 48 hours have passed. I can move the attachment to the first post if you want.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Exclamation

Hello,

Just to say that this guide is a very useful for a noob like me. Thank You.

Now, I've a little annoyance: How can I achieve the target Size of 2,18GB.

I've tried with the calculator of "Xvid-1.2.2-07062009 _Final Release_" but the 2nd pass always gives me 1,6GB in 720p MKV with 640Kbps AC3, a file with a 2hours of lenght and the 1stpass gives me 1,8GB.

I'd like the very best quality possible, with the very best bitrate and the target more or less 2,10 or 2,15 or 2,18.

What I'm doing wrong following this tutorial?

Thx.
    Thanks

Advanced User
    P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7977
    I'm guessing this takes a lot of time, right? It's very useful tutorial, since you can't find every BRrip you want.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1191
    Quote Originally Posted by guerreiro2 View Post
    Hello,

Just to say that this guide is a very useful for a noob like me. Thank You.

Now, I've a little annoyance: How can I achieve the target Size of 2,18GB.

I've tried with the calculator of "Xvid-1.2.2-07062009 _Final Release_" but the 2nd pass always gives me 1,6GB in 720p MKV with 640Kbps AC3, a file with a 2hours of lenght and the 1stpass gives me 1,8GB.

I'd like the very best quality possible, with the very best bitrate and the target more or less 2,10 or 2,15 or 2,18.

What I'm doing wrong following this tutorial?

Thx.
    2nd pass for size 1st pass for quality. 2nd pass you choose target size,just put the desired size you want(2,18 = 2018000 kbytes) and in calc you can also put information about movie and see what bitrate you will have with that size...brrip should be around 3500 Kbps,if you are not satisfied with that bitrate put higher size. if you just want best quality and exact bitrate you choose only 1st pass,but you can't determinate what file size the movie will be in the end...

I'm guessing this takes a lot of time, right? It's very useful tutorial, since you can't find every BRrip you want.
    better just to download brrips(they are encoded with best filters and so),if you do it yourself it can take a lot,with such filters 1-2-3 days even if you have good PC
    Last edited by kazuya; 29.06.10 at 17:13.
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

yoco (29.06.10)

Thank you very much for your explanations.

Last doubt: When I encode it seems in comparison with the original that my brrip is slightly blurred.

Probably is because of the quantization. But, just for curiosity, is possible to slight sharp a bit the encode?

Maybe put the Virtualdub default filter "Sharp" in conjuction with the encode to balance little a bit the encode?

Thx again.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1191
    Quote Originally Posted by guerreiro2 View Post
    Thank you very much for your explanations.

Last doubt: When I encode it seems in comparison with the original that my brrip is slightly blurred.

Probably is because of the quantization. But, just for curiosity, is possible to slight sharp a bit the encode?

Maybe put the Virtualdub default filter "Sharp" in conjuction with the encode to balance little a bit the encode?

Thx again.
    it's normal that to the original it will get blured,the higher the compression the more quality will fall off.

yes you can sharp it,try one of this filters VirtualDub MSU Smart Sharpen Filter
    Thanks

P2P Client
    uttorent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 13/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss1
    I'm stuck here when i try to open virtualdub mod with avisynth. I recieve the follow error:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5237/71893211.png Any suggestion is welcome.Thank you
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast