Thread: [cnet]Microsoft plans antipiracy update for Windows 7

P2P Client
    several
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss565

[cnet]Microsoft plans antipiracy update for Windows 7

Microsoft said on Thursday that it is planning an update to Windows 7 that will close a number of loopholes that counterfeiters had used to thwart the operating system's built-in antipiracy measures.

The Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7, which will be released later this month, closes more than 70 "activation hacks," according to Joe Williams, general manager of Microsoft's Genuine Windows unit, responsible for anti-counterfeiting measures. The update will also check with a server periodically to see if there are further hacks that need to be addressed, though Williams said no personally identifiable information about the user will be sent to the server.
    source and full article:
    Microsoft plans antipiracy update for Windows 7 | Beyond Binary - CNET News

Edit - added more info at post #4
    Edit2 - WAT is already hacked/bypassed see more at post 4
    Last edited by Vation; 12.02.10 at 02:18. Reason: updates and bugfixes
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (12.02.10) , grebetu (12.02.10) , SealLion (12.02.10) , anonftw (12.02.10) , cheatos (12.02.10)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    let's hope they fail. I've got 3 different versions of 7.
    And I like them exactly the way they are.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (12.02.10)

Good that i disabled the windows auto update service:)
    Won't install any suspicious packages...
    Thanks

P2P Client
    several
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss565
    @ SealLion info how to fix such problems are always at My Digital Life Forums seconds after Microsoft release the updates. MS would probably use a-bomb at My Digital Life Forums if they only could...

Quote Originally Posted by hontoCorti View Post
    Good that i disabled the windows auto update service:)
    Won't install any suspicious packages...
    Those are not malicious if can be uninstalled.

I think it would be enough go to:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\Change settings
    and set:
    Download updates but let me choose whether to install them(instead of automatic applying)
    and uncheck Recommended check-box

or just Check the updates and let me choose whether to download/install.

Llso citation from Genuine Windows Blog:

Although the Update will not be directly offered through Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), which is used by enterprise customers to manage the distribution of software updates in their IT environment, a WSUS administrator can import this update into WSUS through the Microsoft Update catalog. I’d like to stress that the Update is voluntary, which means that you can choose not to install it when you see it appear on Windows Update. I also want to stress that installing this update will not jeopardize your privacy; although the update contacts Microsoft’s servers to check for new threats as I outline below, the information we receive from PCs during these checks does not include any personally identifiable information or any other information that Microsoft can use to identify or contact you. This update follows the same stringent and secure set of privacy principles and policies as other downloads. The update can also be uninstalled at any time.
    Reading at Genuine Windows Blog - Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7:
    Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7 - Genuine Windows Blog - The Windows Blog

Edit and post scriptum:

WAT Update runs a check and repair weekly to ensure that the licensing files are properly repaired.
    The WAT already leaked and has been under inspecrion of My Digital Life Forums (Thread: WAT released (unofficaly))

I am not linking forum i mention since it is den of evil in terms of illegal content.

Edit 2:
    WAT is already hacked/bypassed - topic i mentioned page 23/post228 by Hazar
    Last edited by Vation; 12.02.10 at 02:19. Reason: fix as always
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (12.02.10) , slikrapid (12.02.10)

P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150
    MS will most likely do the same as before and hide the anti-update-hack in an obscure name and give it critical status as they did with XP and Vista

The only way to counter those measures would be to do some sluething yourself, by cross-referencing every file being on offer. Or use MS expert sites such as Vation has mentioned on top of .

There is one more way of getting updates on an uncracked copy of Windows and that is by installing the adminstrator updates instead of the user ones found on the Widows updates site.

Just beware that once the antipiracy update is installed for those without a geniune copy, it all over red rover. Im thinking the anti-anti antipiracy update by hazar needs to be installed counter not remedy the antipiracy update, unless of course there is a grace period (most likely) given by MS.
    Last edited by saebrtooth; 12.02.10 at 03:44.
    dont ban me just spank me
    Thanks

Until now MS had all the names.From Microdollar to Microshit.From now on it's MicroFail.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss59

Post Windows Activation Technologies Updated For Windows 7 - Would Detect 70 Known Piracy

Microsoft will be pushing a new Windows Activation Technologies (WAT) update before end of February for Windows 7 users with a set of anti-piracy measures which would disable more than 70 known hacks and cracks used by pirates to activate illegal copies of the software.

In an official blog post by Joe Williams, General Manager, Genuine Windows the company announced the new update stating :
    Read more
    http://www.megaleecher.net/Windows-7-Anti-Piracy
    Last edited by Instab; 23.02.10 at 04:31. Reason: you gotta quote text from somewhere else
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1191
    Bla,bla,they are releasing every Year some anti hacker shit and where did they got with it?every Year new hacker shit
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    Quote Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
    every Year new hacker shit
    A most excellent point.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks