An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150

Talking Breaking News - Judge rules in favour of iiNet

Judge rules in favour of iiNet

For all you P2Pers downunder

Justice Dennis Cowdroy on Thursday found that it was "impossible" to find against iiNet for what its users did.

"It is impossible to conclude that iiNet has authorised copyright infringement ... (it) did not have relevant power to prevent infringements occurring," Justice Cowdroy said in his judgment.

The judge recommended the application be dismissed and that the consortium of studios pay the court costs.

The internet provider said the judgment was a "vindication".

"iiNet has always been, and will continue to be, a good corporate citizen and an even better copyright citizen," the company said in a statement.
    Since Australia conforms to International Copyright Laws I wonder what implications this ruling will have on other countries.

This may mean anti-p2p companies will no longer be able to issue subpoenas to get your info on the basis of piracy since the ISP is not responsible for your downloading - maybe.
    dont ban me just spank me
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (05.02.10) , Vation (04.02.10)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    tried to prove iiNet not only failed to take steps to stop illegal file-sharing by customers but breached copyright itself by storing and transmitting the data through its system.
    the accusations are really getting ridiculous, whats next, sued for not anticipating a copyright breach?

Quote Originally Posted by saebrtooth View Post
    Since Australia conforms to International Copyright Laws I wonder what implications this ruling will have on other countries.
    probably none for countries in general, but it should be expected that various ISPs (not only in australia) are monitoring the situation and will try to use cases like this to their advantage, i suppose they would want to be prepared in case some lawsuit finds its way to their address

This may mean anti-p2p companies will no longer be able to issue subpoenas to get your info on the basis of piracy since the ISP is not responsible for your downloading - maybe.
    i'm afraid its not that simple, the ISP isn't responsible for the data transferred, yet it still can, if it chooses to do so, cave in and submit user data to the anti-p2p's, guess it depends on the ISP & their relationship towards user privacy, how easy can they get scared and so on

a bit more to the story (beginning):

unless i'm missing something this trial has been going on for more than a year...

SCAPEGOAT: iiNet sued over BitTorrent piracy

Internet service provider iiNet is being sued by seven Hollywood movie studios for failing to disconnect users who allegedly swapped pirated movies via BitTorrent

seven big-name studios had filed suit against iiNet, which is said to have ignored repeated requests to disconnect users said to be involved in illegal content swapping.
    the aussies ain't backing down, eh?

It appears no individuals have been singled out as part of the lawsuit "They don't write to us with a person, they write to us with an IP address
    interesting argument, but how do you find out the name without ISPs IP-name connection?

Code:
    http://apcmag.com/scapegoat_iinet_sued_over_bittorrent_piracy.htm
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (05.02.10)

+ Reply to Thread