check it out:

China has protested a US decision to sell $6.4bn worth of weapons to Taiwan, saying it would cause "serious damage" to relations and co-operation between the two nations.

That, I believe is political talk for saying that you can make amends with us if you renege on your decision to sell weapons to Taiwan.

It might be just word games that might have no meaning after all. IMHO, it's just a way of saying that relationships might be strained, but only for the short term.

The sale "constitutes a gross intervention into China's internal affairs, seriously endangers China's national security and harms China's peaceful reunification efforts,"
I believe that China is very interested in unifying it's relationship with Taiwan more permanently. In addition, I also believe that the leader of Taiwan is also heading in that direction of unification with China.

"The US plan will definitely undermine China-US relations and bring about serious negative impact on exchange and co-operation in major areas between the two countries," he said, adding that "China strongly urges the US side to fully recognise the gravity of the issue, revoke the erroneous decision on arms sales to Taiwan and stop selling any weapons to Taiwan".
Much like I mentioned above. To renege or revoke thier decision.
I think that part of this might also be the cultural enigma that China is known for.
Righting wrongs is a big part of a good public image in China.
Also, the Chinese, I don't think, want to be seen within their own country as being weak-knee'd and so they make a strong impression internationally. Which they are good at, of course, considering their military prowess.

They don't flaunt thier military strength internationally as much as other countries do on the international stage. China, as you know, is more interested in protecting the home-land, but is also quite interested in annexing renegade provinces such as Taiwan, and then of course, some of the smaller countries to the west of it's borders such as where the Dalia Lama comes from.

In 2008, China suspended most military dialogue with Washington after the Bush administration approved a $6.5bn arms package to Taiwan that included guided missiles and attack helicopters.
So obviously, not much has really changed then considering a change in administration in that country, has it??
I was under the impression that Obama wanted to cool things down with respect to his country's aggressive foreign policies.
Obviously not.
Like I say, IMHO, not much has changed then,...has it??

But then there's this:

The US government, on the other hand, is bound by the 1979 Taiwan Relations Act which obliges Washington to ensure the island is capable of responding to Chinese threats, and to sell defensive weapons to it.
Would that be an excuse to continue it's foreign policy drive??

One last thing>......

Beijing regards Taiwan as a renegade province and has vowed to bring the island eventually back under mainland rule, by force if necessary
Here's the link: