+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reporters Without Borders: Jordan: threat to online free expression

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

Reporters Without Borders: Jordan: threat to online free expression

The correct title for this thread is Court ruling poses threat to online free expression as I don't think it would have fit in the subject title:

So once again, we've got internet freedom of access and speech being walked all over. No one is really safe when you live in countries that have surveillance activities happening on their citizens. Which is a signal of the level of paranoia of that particular government or regime.
    Police-state anyone??

Reporters Without Borders is concerned about a ruling by Jordan’s highest appeal court, published on 13 January, that news websites and electronic media are subject to the country’s press and publications law. Media and communications minister Nabil Al-Sharif told the Jordan Times that the court’s decision was reached independently and should therefore be applied
    That portends fear of that regime via criticisms of others against it.
    True democracy is transparent.

It doesn't have secret parallel governments such as is the case with Bulgaria and other countries that I have made mention of in other news threads that is published by Wikileaks.org and others too.

True and democratic government is also open to critique by it's citizens for the purpose of improving how a country is ruled and governed by it's government.

The ruling poses a real threat to online free expression in Jordan, where the traditional media usually toe the government line......
    Government sponsored propaganda is what I believe that is supposed to mean.

Publish what the government want's it's citizens to read and hear. Not information that it feels isn't the business of it's people.

Kind of like in North Korea. If that country isn't run by a paranoid person, then I don't know who is.
    I suppose that the type of information that your exposed to most obviously has to do with where you live.
    If you live in places like China, your constantly being told how much of a friend North Korea is.
    You never hear of information on how people are taken away in the North Korean Gulags when trying to escape that repressive regime as equally as you never hear how desperate that country is for food as I have seen documentaries on how children, ..yes children try to find food of, off the muddy ground. How the Great Leader is presented as a god-like figure that suggests him to have been born of some mystical beginning or something.

If you live in places like South and North America or Europe, you know enough of places like that and the lies that are constantly being presented. You've seen the documentaries and footage of desperately hungry people who, because that government is so obsessed with security and image, neglects to feeding it's people.

If you live in places like the Middle East like in Saudi Arabia, your constantly under surveillance.

......With the authorities determined to rein in online news and information, there is a danger that Internet users will follow the example set by print media journalists and censor themselves out of fear of sanctions
    and that isn't a good thing. People have the right to information.
    It's a privalage in many countries. We in the West take it actually for granted.
    We never think about it.
    We take it for granted, while for others it's a privalage administered only through that particular country's censorship offices.
    It should be a right.

The court’s ruling comes just days after the media and communications minister brought a defamation suit against Abdul Hadi Raji Al-Majali, the editor of the Ejjbed.com website, over a series of articles about alleged illicit enrichment by members of his family and a lack of transparency in the way his elder brother’s companies hired employees.
    Regardless of what the issue involved covers, it's still corruption. As equally as it is censorship as you'll see.

The Ejjbed.com articles also accused the minister of not having the degrees mentioned in his curriculum vitae.......“It is incredible that the media and communications minister is suing a journalist in a country that claims to be democratic,”....
    censorship of the media via court actions. What a neat way to do government business.

......“This case is disturbing. In two weeks the Union of Journalists is going to decide whether or not to expel me and everyone knows that the union takes its orders from the government.”
    Control the media and everything is in your hands exactly the way you'd like it.
    Like I say. Information is a privilage. But it should be a right.

Here's the link:

Last edited by SealLion; 25.01.10 at 02:33.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (25.01.10) , saebrtooth (25.01.10)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Reporters Without Borders is concerned about a ruling by Jordan’s highest appeal court, published on 13 January, that news websites and electronic media are subject to the country’s press and publications law.
    lets see...i'm concerned that the information given here is scarce at best

should we be worried if these reporters are worried? what exactly are they worried about? , internet is already a subject to various laws, depending on the country, see an usa example:

Internet law consists of state and federal statutes, CASE LAW, and other legal norms that regulate activity on the World Wide Web. Although the law governing the Internet is in many ways no different than the law governing other areas of life in the United States, legal disputes involving the Internet have generally centered on four bodies of law: (1) intellectual property; (2) free speech; (3) privacy; and (4) contracts.

Code:
    http://www.enotes.com/everyday-law-encyclopedia/internet-regulation
    True democracy is transparent.

It doesn't have secret parallel governments

True and democratic government is also open to critique by it's citizens for the purpose of improving how a country is ruled and governed by it's government.
    agreed

there is a danger that Internet users will follow the example set by print media journalists and censor themselves out of fear of sanctions.
    not quite convinced (as we have no idea what that law actually says nor is it being quoted anywhere), a journalist is in a working contract, so he should be careful about the things he says, whereas most internet users are somewhat anonymous

It is incredible that the media and communications minister is suing a journalist in a country that claims to be democratic,
    why would that be incredible? i mean, you do have proof for your official (as a licensed journalist) claims/accusations or were they within the law...tricky, isn't it?
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (27.01.10) , SealLion (25.01.10)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    I don't quite understand by what you mean by this:

why would that be incredible? i mean, you do have proof for your official (as a licensed journalist) claims/accusations or were they within the law...tricky, isn't it?
    I would think that the journalist had his evidence so as to make a publication of the events. If the journalist did and the minister in charge of media communications was up against a wall, then I would think that it makes sense, considering how protective governments are of thier own station. Most especially governments that have a history of authoritarian rule such as Jordan since it is ruled by a King Abdullah II.

Jordan may have had free and open elections since 1993, but that doesn't mean that people in office are or won't be protective of thier office.
    IT's the same everywhere and I know that you know this yourself.

But maybe your right after all considering this from Wikipedia:

Jordan's parliament has investigated corruption charges against several regime figures and has become the major forum in which differing political views, including those of political Islamists, are expressed. While the King remains the ultimate authority in Jordan, the parliament plays an important role
    Wikipedia Link

But then also considering the biased view that Wikipedia has, maybe that is far from the truth afterall.

Either way, I still don't quite understand by what you mean??

Can you elaborate by any chance??
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (27.01.10) , slikrapid (26.01.10)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    what i did is a little rant about the information shallowness presented by the 'reporters without borders'

considering that quote:

It is incredible that the media and communications minister is suing a journalist in a country that claims to be democratic,
    to break it down, basically one man (minister) is suing another one (reporter) in a 'democratic' land - i can't see anything unusual/incredible in this scenario - the reasons/aims for/of the lawsuit may be debatable, but the event itself or its participants aren't some kind of oddity

and the 'tricky' part for the media representatives is to stay within legal boundaries when writing their reports, many of them like to use the gray area for the greater effect it brings and usually this is tolerated (well, maybe less when it concerns some business companies or 'sensitive'/egoistic individuals), but also some media count on that and push to the extreme

the feeling i got when reading the article is that it was written as if the author expected a reaction from the readers ('its another attack on democracy!' or something like that), at the same time giving tiny bits & pieces of information & towering concerns ('threat to online free expression')
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (27.01.10) , SealLion (27.01.10)

+ Reply to Thread