Closed Thread
Page 630 of 718 FirstFirst ... 130530580620628629630631632640680 ... LastLast
Results 9,436 to 9,450 of 10770

Thread: [OLD]The Chat/Spam Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    Was the original windows 98 bootable or not? As far as I can remember I installed it using DOS. I have never seen a bootable 98 retail cd.
    There was no bootable automatic CD before xp .. you had to use - as anon said - a bootable floppy disk so you can enter the dos world and start digging until you open the setup process.
    But there was a bootable ME CDs that were open a menu which you can choose from to open setup process xD

What a days xD.
    Last edited by Lucius; 17.08.12 at 20:54.
    Thanks

That's what I thought. I have a friend that belies he had an original retail cd of 98 that was bootable. He said he installed it this but it worked only if the drive was already fat32 and was already formatted.
    Can this be true? Say for instance FAT32 looks for CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT as the bootloader. If the those files existed on the CD, would it be theoretically possible for CD to load after the hard drive was booted?

I'm trying to think how/why he belives this? I don't think he's insane.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    WaffleCheat v1.95 build 19928
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1509
    Maybe he has one of these.
    What does a scene tracker tell to a general tracker?
    You're so 5 minutes ago...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mihai View Post
    Maybe he has one of these.
    He does have an original retail disk but I know they weren't bootable. And I read your link and doesn't say anywhere whether or not that one can boot.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    WaffleCheat v1.95 build 19928
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1509
    He does have an original retail disk but I know they weren't bootable. And I read your link and doesn't say anywhere whether or not that one can boot.
    I saw that too. Maybe he just has one of those and believes it is bootable without actually trying to install it.
    What does a scene tracker tell to a general tracker?
    You're so 5 minutes ago...

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    I left my computer seeding stuff last night. When I woke up today it was turned off I was using DontSleep and disabled the Windows Update service precisely to avoid that. Checked the event viewer but there was nothing. Really strange...

What bothers me the most is that I was maxing out my upload, and now those torrents don't seem to run
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I left my computer seeding stuff last night. When I woke up today it was turned off I was using DontSleep and disabled the Windows Update service precisely to avoid that. Checked the event viewer but there was nothing. Really strange...

What bothers me the most is that I was maxing out my upload, and now those torrents don't seem to run
    When you started the computer today, did the windows recovery prompt show? If it was a power blackout it should of appeared.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    When you started the computer today, did the windows recovery prompt show?
    Yes, but there are no signs of a blackout. My netbook running SpinRite was still working, the alarm clock hasn't forgotten which time it is.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    uTorrent 2.2.1
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss131

Do you live with anyone? I recently caught a friend using my laptop and shutting it down whereas i keep in running with no display and no sleep. Took me a while to get the truth out.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by dickbutt123 View Post
    Do you live with anyone?
    Yes, but I doubt my parents would return from work early just to shut my desktop PC down

Ah well, what's life without some mystery.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    uTorrent 2.2.1
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss131
    Yes, but I doubt my parents would return from work early just to shut my desktop PC down

Ah well, what's life without some mystery.
    I'm not even bothered about people using my laptop anyway. If i'm away from my machine i just log into the seeding account which has no personal info except mRatio. My main account is passworded, but that doesn't stop anyone using a livecd to remove the password or use linux to read/write on my account, but most of my personal stuff does reside in truecrypt (portable chrome etc). If anyone uses my laptop for light browsing while im away i dont mind at all, but god help them if they shut it down
    Thanks

Yes, but there are no signs of a blackout.
    I'm not exactly implying it was a blackout. Suppose it was a heating issue. Video card or CPU or the motherboard passed beyond the safe temperature and performed a shutdown over the pc.

Suppose the shutdown button wire came in contact with the pc case and shortcircuted the power button pins.

A little off topic question:
    What does it take to become an advanced member?
    Last edited by Master Razor; 20.08.12 at 18:44.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    I thought of overheating, but this is a pretty well-cooled system and I haven't had mystery shutdowns since then.

A little off topic question:
    What does it take to become an advanced member?
    I got promoted by just being very active in the forum, but that was 4 years ago and there was no Member rank.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    I can haz candy
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss590
    Windows 8 = Bleh!

Seems like Vista all over again.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gapo View Post
    Windows 8 = Bleh!

Seems like Vista all over again.
    Everyone says that. But it's not. Everyone just seems to complain because of metro, something you don't even have to use. Truth is that behind the scenes, a lot improved in Win8, like the task manager, memory usage, ... All in all, stuff seems to work a lot smoother with less on Windows 8. That's about as much opposite as you can get to Win Vista.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

Closed Thread
Page 630 of 718 FirstFirst ... 130530580620628629630631632640680 ... LastLast