+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Google Chrome OS Thread

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447

The Google Chrome OS Thread

You can find some discussion here, but that was originally a news thread, and so I think it's better to post anything related to Chrome OS here.

So, what is it?
    Chromium OS is an open-source project that aims to build an operating system that provides a fast, simple, and more secure computing experience for people who spend most of their time on the web.
    (Taken from the Chromium OS Project page)

This is the video they presented yesterday to explain the Chrome OS concept:
    [YT="What is Google Chrome OS?"]0QRO3gKj3qw[/YT]

From what I have read on a technology blog, the Chrome browser will be the center of the OS and you won't be able to install applications as everything will work "in the Cloud". Data will be synchronized on line, videos will be played using the browser's components. Chrome OS is destined for netbooks with SSD drives (it won't be compatible with mechanic HDDs) and will begin to be distributed next year. If I read correctly, it will access the hardware directly, i.e. no drivers.

Speed will be a critical factor. During the demonstration, it took the OS just seven seconds to get to the login screen, and three seconds to open an application on a modded Asus EEE. Same goes for security. Updates will be done transparently. A system called "Verified Boot" will be implemented: every time you start the OS, it will verify its own integrity. If a vital system file has been modified, it will reboot and get a clean copy from Google. Applications won't be able to modify any aspects of the operating system at all. Furthermore, information stored locally will be encrypted.

Its source code has already been released, and you can get it at the Repository page. As a matter of fact, someone at The Pirate Bay has released a VMWare disk image of an already installed system - you can get it here and run it on a VirtualBox.

Links:

The last two in Spanish. I translated the info I posted from there.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Dr.house (09.12.10) , alpacino (21.11.09) , SBfreak (20.11.09) , ghostfucker (20.11.09)

Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

anon (20.11.09)

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    Change its User-Agent and build it from the source.
    Thanks

You mean I have to compile the source code on my own??
    No thanks..noob sticks with ubuntu.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    rTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss445
    I do not particulary like idea of cloud OS except in case when is big amount of CPU/GPU processing needed.
    I'm not fan of it at all also because my concern about security of my data. I just don't belive in that system, it has many vulnerabilities, and honestly, I have no idea how could they improve it.

And also... I'm totally sick of all these google software. They are f*cking everywhere and that can't be good thing. We could just stop calling internet internet and rename it into googlenet.

Anyone else remembers good old google when it was just a search engine, just taking over a market after altavista fail? ^^
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    As you can read on the other news thread, I don't like that either. I want my info in my computer, thanks. It also screws people with slow or no Internet connections.

Anyone else remembers good old google when it was just a search engine, just taking over a market after altavista fail? ^^
    Now only Google P2P seems to be missing
    Thanks

P2P Client
    rTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss445
    Just checked other thread, seems we all share same concerns. But its actually not important how good or bad this OS would be. What matters is that this comes from ALMIGHTY google. And they can release out piece of shit but there will still be masses of people using it I think. There is various reasons why would someone want to try it out. Also, I think microsoft plans some cloud OS as well. Cloud as a concept is coming to us, time shall tell us how (un)successful will be.

btw. in your last post in news thread you forgot google's latest toy: google wave. Its slowly started to heat up... At least in my country... People searching/trading for invites. google knows the business. Make some shit invite only and its popularity will increase a lot faster then publickly open stuff. Hell, we at least know that principle which applies at torrent trackers as well.

btw2. google's very own facebook - www.orkut.com Stumbled upon it few day ago... Couldn't belive my eyes. But seems they target countries where real facebook didn't get as fast (3rd world countries).
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    And they can release out piece of shit but there will still be masses of people using it I think.
    You may be right... I know people that use Chrome as a browser just because Google made it. Brand awareness for the win.

And yes, Microsoft wants a piece of the Cloud pie too, with Windows Azure.

Its slowly started to heat up... At least in my country... People searching/trading for invites.
    Did you see the FSF article about people trading tracker invites for Wave ones?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    rTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss445
    Nope, whats FSF? umm just searched forum, so I see few google wave threads, ill check them out. When I got back to sb-i it was too much posts to read em all so I followed only most recent threads xD
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    Thanks

P2P Client
    rTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss445
    Ah yea, I heard for FileShareFreak, visit em occasionly, silly me didn't get their abbrevation ><

Interesting article... I don't usually read much news from big sites like this one (native, local, smaller community forums is what I prefer) so didn't have an idea that is gone to these extents. LOL'ed when saw offering of demonoid for wave ^^
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447
    LOL'ed when saw offering of demonoid for wave ^^
    I LOLed at the guy giving a What.cd account in exchange for a Wave invite. What's the urge to get rid of the best music tracker in the world in favor of a site that wants all your info..?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    seems like people tend to use the google stuff despite all warnings. many guys i talked to about it dösn't seem to care much about their privacy.

anyway why do i need chrome? why do i need chrome os? why do i need any of google's services?
    right, i don't
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    none, just the toolz
    Activity Longevity
    7/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2066
    Google seems to have a special kind of "aura" around them that makes them somehow "charismatic" or attractive for many people. I was like this before, until I read here about their privacy policy in the use of Google Chrome.
    it's hip to be square
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by alpacino View Post
    until I read here about their privacy policy in the use of Google Chrome.
    it's not only chrome it's all they do
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast