+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows XP Services Tweak Guide

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss277

Windows XP Services Tweak Guide

"SAFE" Configuration ~ This is the configuration that 95% of the people will be able to use with little or no side effects. It will also minimize the amount of "errors" that is reported in the Event Viewer. This does not guarantee it will work for you, but if adjusting your services scares you, this configuration would be a good starting point.

Power User Configuration ~ This is the power user setup. This setup is a system that connects through a network (such as a gateway / router) to the internet, provides file and print sharing resources and gaming enjoyment. Some things may not function with this setup. No passwords save. Its use is not for a computer with analog modems or some direct DSL/cable connections. Try the "Safe" Configuration first.

# Bare Bones Configuration ~ This is the super geek setup. This setup is a system that connects through a network (such as a gateway / router) to the internet with a static IP address. This system does not provide file and print sharing resources, nor have the ability to print. Its use is not for a computer with analog modems or many direct DSL/cable connections. You can use this configuration for extreme tweaking and testing purposes. Many things may not function with this setup. No passwords save. The Event Log will display "errors" of not being able to start certain services. Built in Windows CDR-RW functions may no longer work.

Categorize yourself in light of descriptions given above and use following Chart to Tweak your Windows,

Disabled services means = Service that are disabled by default or that can be disabled:

Source: Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations by Black Viper
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Renk (21.09.09) , yoco (20.09.09) , SBfreak (20.09.09) , alpacino (20.09.09) , SealLion (20.09.09)

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    On one hand, I am really curious & a little bored atm, but on the other hand:
    Never change a running system
    Plus, the timing is a bit shitty, since I have everything installed for school already, which starts soon. (avoiding trouble in advance is the best )
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss277
    Quote Originally Posted by alpacino View Post
    Thanks, nice guides. Do you think there's any way to creat any kind of shortcut or bat, in order to temporarely disable the services and make a for example the "bare bones" version. I mean, in a way that after a reboot, things would come all back to default settings?

Yes absolutely there is and I will soon share it with my SB-innovation mates, The thing you just mentioned above is possible through appropriate registry entries I will soon collect all of them in one single file for each of three user settings i mentioned above.
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

alpacino (21.09.09) , SealLion (21.09.09)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12